Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Le Meridian or Rio Othon Palace (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/le-meridian-or-rio-othon-palace-186190/)

SG Mar 31st, 2002 01:55 PM

Le Meridian or Rio Othon Palace

Has anyone stayed at either (on the Copa)? I've found some really good deals on both but didn't know the conditions of the hotels. Thanks for all the help, SG

Kate Mar 31st, 2002 07:38 PM

I would not stay in Copacabana if I were you. Personally I would spend a little extra and stay in Ipanema. It is much nicer. Copacabana is a magnet for thieves etc...<BR>

Don Apr 1st, 2002 05:03 AM

They are both high rise hotels, the Othon Palace being close to the center of Copacabana which is a good location, I don't know if they are renovating this hotel currently but last time I looked and heard it was in need of it, if you have a real good price then it may be worth it. The Meridian being at the end of Copacabana next to Leme is a very nice hotel but I would prefer to be in the center but that may not matter to you. As far as thieves in Copacabana is concerned, thieves will go anywhere they can steal something and Im sure there is plenty to steal in Ipanema, just be carefull where ever you are and you will be fine.

Sandy Apr 1st, 2002 05:28 AM

Can't help with those two hotels but I strongly disagree about Copa being full of thieves. We just returned last week, we stayed in Copa, had a ball. Copa is where the action is and where more of the "real" people are. We went to Ipanema several times . . . it is nice, pretty, and full of Americans. And, like Don said above, thieves can be anywhere.<BR><BR>You'll have a great time, wheverever you decide to stay.<BR><BR>Sandy

Don Apr 1st, 2002 10:31 AM

Sandy, I have been reading your recent posts and appreciate your view on Copacabana and Ipanema, I feel the same way you do, Copa is much more livelier and you get more of the Rio experience that you do in Ipanema where as you say more Americans stay. I have alot of fun in Rio and I can tell you in 20 years I have been going to Rio I have had more trouble in Ipanema than I have in Copacabana, don't be fooled by people saying Ipanema is safer because it is not, you must be carefull all over Rio equally.

rhoda Apr 1st, 2002 02:10 PM

I agree totally. As I mentioned in my rather long email, I had a great time in Brazil - Copacabana and Ipanema as well. I liked the authentic feel of Copa as well. Had ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS while I was there two weeks ago. If you do decide to stay in Ipanema, don't automatically drop your guard because you are staying somewhere that is supposed to be 'safer'. Exercise caution wherever you go and have a grat time. Make sure you check out the Hippie Fair on Sundays in Ipanema. Bargains galore!!!

Sandy Apr 2nd, 2002 05:45 AM

When we travel, we try to make friends with and yuck it up with the bell hops, the desk clerks. This is not too hard to do, even if you don't speak the language. A smile, a map, pictures of where you live goes a long way in forming a bond.<BR><BR>As we're coming/going from our hotel, we always speak to the vendors on the street . . . after the first day, they recognize us and speak back . . . we like to think then that they will kinda keep an eye on us. And, it just makes us feel like more of the neighborhood.<BR><BR>This works in just about any city and worked especially great in Rio. Our neighborhood was full of hustle, bustle, interesting people.<BR><BR>

Byron Apr 3rd, 2002 05:18 PM

I visited Rio last July and stayed at the Rio Othon Palace. I have never been to the Meridian, but I can tell you that Rio Othon was nice - although the decor needed to be updated. They have a wonderful breakfast bar and what the decor of the rooms lacked, the friendliness of the staff made up for it. Also, you are fairly close to the Hippie Mart where you can get some good deals. I would check out the Rio Othon!