Search

Last night Hotel in Costa Rica

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last night Hotel in Costa Rica

Hi All,
I have finalized my plans for our 10 day first trip to Costa Rica and am now stuck on the last day/night before our departure. We will be leaving Dominical early in the morning. Echoing other sentiments on this and other travel boards I want to get in a last minute adventure. Would love to visit Poas Volcano but I am concerned we will not have enough time to drive to an airport area hotel, drop of luggage and get to Poas before the clouds roll in. If we can do this by 10am or 11am would it be worth the effort? I really want the photo op. Alternately, we could just chose a nicer last night hotel and hang out. I am considering Xandari but am wondering if it is really worth the higher cost? I have also considered Grano de Oro and Beacon Escazu. I think I have eliminated Orquideas because of negative reviews on tripadvisor and lonely planet. What do you think? Is Xandari worth it to hang out if I can't make Poas? Volcano Girl, I saw your review on Trip Advisor and have seen your glowing reviews here. What catagory room did you stay in? BTW, we have a 6:30am flight. Thanks for all responses.
Old Nov 29th, 2009, 06:21 PM

Xandari is worth it but if you're feeling like staying within a budget we also like Hotel Villa Bonita. Both that and Xandari are actually closer to the airport than Hotel Grano de Oro.
Old Nov 29th, 2009, 06:32 PM

If you go with Xandari check out Travelocity, Expedia, etc. They offered some great rates earlier this year...also I've stayed at Orquideas 3 times and like it. The pool, restaurant and bar are terrific. The rooms vary by type. I haven't read the reviews lately but know they're always mixed. Hotel Villa Bonita is sweet and super close to airport. Restaurants/convenience store within walking distance.
Old Nov 29th, 2009, 08:52 PM

We really loved Xandari. We arrived very early because we came in on a 7:00 a.m. flight from Tortuguero, and it was the perfect way to end our trip. We hiked the beautiful grounds, saw all the waterfalls, ate at the open air restaurant, and best of all just relaxed on our patio with the gorgeous view. They also have a spa that comes highly recommended, but we didn't try it. I know tully loved it. We stayed in an Ultra Plus Villa and got a pretty good rate because it was green season.

We've also stayed at Grano de Oro and thought it was charming - lots of great architecture, wonderful restaurant on site. Our room there was very small, but we stayed in the lowest level of room, and they have some that have their own patios and gardens. Service was great at both places. My preference is Xandari but GdO is good if you want a city hotel. I really just love a hotel with a great view, and Xandari really has that.
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 04:17 AM

www.xandari.com is great if you can catch a special

www.puravidahotel.com nice more budget nearby

from Dominical www.mybeaconescazu.com or

www.casabellarita.com closer geographically

both very nice...
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. Qwovadis, I looked at puravidahotel based on one of your earlier recommendations. I looks very nice but there were many negative reviews about the owners hospitality. I also really like the look of Beacon Escazu but am concerned about it being a little to formal. I want something where I feel comfortable being casual.
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 07:30 AM

Look into Corteza Amarilla in Santa Ana, close to airport yet a "jungle type setting" great food and lounge.
Old Nov 30th, 2009, 08:09 AM

Bernie, the owner of Pura Vida Hotel, has a very dry sense of humor which I think can be taken wrong by some people. I enjoyed his wit and our one night at the hotel. But, after soaking in the pool at our villa for a week, I found I really missed having a pool on our last night in Costa Rica.