Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Last minute trip. Need suggestions,tour ...weather welcom (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/last-minute-trip-need-suggestions-tour-weather-welcom-893903/)

mommacl Jun 6th, 2011 06:47 PM

Last minute trip. Need suggestions,tour ...weather welcom

Arrive June 22 SJO two nights Alta Hotel
Arenal two nights Volcano Lodge and Gardens
Monteverde two nights Hotel Belmar
Liberia three nights Flamingo Beach Resort
Leave Jul 1st Liberia
FYI we have transport between stays.Will not have private car.
We are 53 yr old Mom w/24 yr old daughter

qwovadis Jun 7th, 2011 03:43 AM

Congrats all your hotels are good

weather2travel.com Climate Guide CR

PM rain usually particularly around Arenal

looks fine might try to do Rio Celeste

ruralcostarica.com awesome

skytrek.com for best zip

Have a blast!

mommacl Jun 7th, 2011 04:52 AM

Thank you qwovis
skytrek for zip. At Arenal or Montevarde ?

colibri Jun 9th, 2011 10:38 AM

From Flamingo Beach - we spent an afternoon on the Lazy Lizard catamaran for a sunset and snorkel cruise. We enjoyed it, very relaxing, gorgeous sunset, good food and drinks. Snorkeling was ok, not great, also have kayaks for you to use since you anchor off some islands for a few hours.

With only 2 nights in Arenal I'd go to the Hanging Bridges, Eco Termales and zipline. Cano Negro is also great, lots of wildlife sightings via boat trip.

Enjoy your trip!

volcanogirl Jun 9th, 2011 06:36 PM

If you can, I'd give up one of your San Jose nights to spend more time in Arenal unless you have specific plans in San Jose.

mommacl Jun 10th, 2011 06:23 AM

No I can't change San Jose. I booked this trip so fast (very last minute) I didn't do my usual research before booking and I am trying to do it now. Sounds like I should have done 1 night San Jose and three Arenal. Oh well. I'm still going to CR yeah!

Enchanting_girl Jun 10th, 2011 06:24 AM

Enjoy your trip Flamingo Beach is beautiful!!

volcanogirl Jun 10th, 2011 08:32 AM

Good attitude, momma. In addition to all the great stuff colibri mentioned in Arenal, I'd do the waterfall hike and swim at the base - so pretty. In Monteverde, we liked the guided hike in the Reserve, ziplining, and the night hike at Hidden Valley.

mommacl Jun 10th, 2011 11:08 AM

Thank you all.
All suggestions welcome.
Any ideas for my "Whoopdy" 2 days in San Jose ?

volcanogirl Jun 10th, 2011 02:27 PM

You could tour the Doka Coffee Estate or head up to Poas and the La Paz Waterfall Gardens.

mommacl Jun 10th, 2011 06:02 PM

Thanks volcanogirl,I've read about Britt, is Doka better?
I'll check on Poas and La Paz.

volcanogirl Jun 10th, 2011 06:44 PM

We've only done Doka, but from what I've read Doka seems to get better reviews. The tour was neat; they took us through the whole process, and it's really beautiful there.

mlgb Jun 15th, 2011 12:26 PM

I was advised also that Doka is better, I enjoyed it, and the lunch was decent.

Poas gets fogged over go as early as possible . I didn't see anything at all!

I enjoyed wandering around Ark Herb Farm, saw tons of butterflies, more than in any of the commercial butterfly enclosures.

Downtown San Jose I liked the Gold Museum, if you visit that one I felt the Jade Museum was redundant and not as good. Entry costs are fairly high, too. The central market was okay the highlight for me was the "Heladería de Lolo Mora" for some unique ice cream with a crunchy texture and spice flavors.