Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Last minute tips for CR honeymoon, please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2003, 08:49 AM
Honey_Moon

Hi everyone,<BR><BR>This board has been so helpful in planning our Costa Rica honeymoon. We're leaving for CR on April 1, and I wanted to know if anyone had any last-minute tips for us. Anything from can't-miss restaurants to tips about the locals to anything else.<BR><BR>Here's the essential info about our two-week trip, which we booked through Costa Rican Luxury Vacations:<BR><BR>-Two nights at Xandari Plantation Inn.<BR>-Six nights at Makanda by the Sea.<BR>-Two nights at Manuel de Fuego near Arenal volcano.<BR>-Four nights at Villa Caletas.<BR><BR>Also, we have hired a driver to take us from place to place.<BR><BR>Many, many thanks, all! I look forward to posting a trip report when we return.<BR>

Old Mar 20th, 2003, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It sounds as though you have a wonderful honeymoon planned. Our vacation was also planned through Costa Rica Luxury Vacations. Even though our plane was two hours late arriving from Miami, the representative and the driver were right there waiting for us. I have no complaints about their service, although the driver that was supposed to pick us up at the Quepos airport was a no-show. Not a big problem, we just took another shuttle to Makanda.<BR><BR>Make sure and take a flashlight if you're planning on walking up the steep hill from Makanada to the main road between Quepos and Manual Antonio at night. The street itself is fairly brightly lit, but the cab drivers do come flying down that hill, and it seems that some extra light is a good idea so they can see you easily. At the top of the previously mentioned hill is a restaurant named Karola's which has wonderful food. I have read several reviews which mention the macadamia nut pie, and let me tell ya, the stuff is really good.<BR><BR>Next door to Karola's is Barba Roja, where we also had a very good meal. Gato Negro is an Italian restaurant that isn't too much of a walk. We only had lunch at Makanda itself, decent food and not as expensive as I might have thought. <BR><BR>We had drinks at La Mariposa, and the two men we talked to there were not impressed with the food. I hear there are great sunset views from the bar, we were there too late.<BR><BR>El Gran Escape in Quepos itself gets good reivews, but we found the food only ok. We were glad to be there though, since it was pouring like crazy that night.<BR><BR>We took the bus most places in the Manual Antonio area. Cabs are pretty cheap though.<BR><BR>We didn't have a very good meal at Xandari. Food was ok, but the service was awful. We were there two nights also, the first night we took a cab back to the edge of Alajuela (about 4km) and ate at a very nice Peruvian seafood place. Unfortunately, the name escapes me. The people at Xandar will know, the owner tells me he eats there regularly.<BR><BR>Last year we were in the Arenal area, but I don't have any memorable dining experiences. <BR><BR>Any questions you can e-mail me. Jean [email protected]
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 04:01 PM

You might want to think about dinner one night at Le Monastere Restaurant in Escazu while you are at the Xandari. It is a beautiful place up in the hills overlooking the city lights.
Old Mar 20th, 2003, 04:41 PM

In Manuel Antonio, I agree with Karolas for good food. We didn't eat at Barba Rosa, but they have a good spot for sunset cocktails, and we heard good things about them. We also ate at Mar Y Luna on recs, but were not all that impressed. My husband thought the tuna at Karolas was the best, I liked my chicken at Si Como No. Agree re: El Gran Escape, while we heard good things, you couldn't pay me to eat there again. ick.<BR>In Arenal, we had steaks at La Pradera, awesome. Jalapeno sauce on mine, garlic for hubby. Food at Tabacon ok (we stayed there, ok). <BR>
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 04:59 AM

The really good Peruvian restaurant mentioned previously is called Machu Picchu.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 11:12 AM
Honey_Moon

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful responses! Anyone have an opinion of whether I'll feel overdressed or uncomfortable wearing a sundress most days? Or does everyone wear shorts and flip-flops?

Old Mar 21st, 2003, 11:35 AM

Hi there,<BR><BR>During the day I think shorts and flip-flops (or hiking boots for hiking) are just fine. You can wear the sundresses and sandals for nice dinners if you feel like dressing up a bit!<BR><BR>Have fun!
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 12:10 PM
JBX

Honey_Moon,<BR>Dress in CR is VERY casual. I see nothing wrong with wearing a sundress if that's what you're comfortable in; however since most of my time in Costa Rica was either on the beach or trekking thru a rainforest or doing other outdoorsy things, I never bothered to bring any dresses or skirts. For me it was shorts and a couple light weight tropical fabric pants.<BR>
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 12:31 PM
Iza

If you like wearing sundresses instead of shorts, definitely go for it. Especially when going out for dinner. However, you will probably find that for certain activities, like hiking, shorts are just more comfortable than a dress. Make sure to take a pair of lightweight long pants and a sweatshirt or a long sleeve shirt. Xandari and Arenal were on the cold side in the evenings and we were really glad to have warmer clothes with us.<BR>Have a great trip!
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 12:35 PM

One more note.. I think you will find that the women don't wear shorts much in San Jose proper if you should head into town. Shorts are fine in the smaller towns.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 06:34 PM

Nope, the good Peruvian restaurant mentioned above wasn't Machu Picchu. That's walking distance from downtown San Jose, and we ate there too. The one I referred to in the above post is only about four kilometers from Xandari, on the very northern edge of Alajeula. Frankly, we like it better than Machu Picchu.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 01:03 PM
Honey_Moon

Many thanks, everyone! Some terrific suggestions and advice. We cannot wait for this trip!

Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 06:56 AM

Jean - Was the Peruvian restaurant Rincon Peruano?
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 09:45 AM

Boy, do I feel silly that I can't remember the name of the Peruvian restaurant. It wasn't either of the ones mentioned. I also can't find the receipt, wouldn't ya know? The name doesn't imply that it's Peruvian, just that it's seafood, I *think* it might have something like 'del Mar' in the name. On the road to Xandari, on the right as you head up the side of the mountain.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 05:19 PM

Best returant that I have found in CR is located just outside of a little town called Cachi just S of Cartago. Give it a try. Sunday buffet is the best.