Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Last Minute Questions About Costa Rica (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/last-minute-questions-about-costa-rica-451148/)

zwho Nov 12th, 2008 10:43 AM

Last Minute Questions About Costa Rica

Well the wedding is Saturday and then they are off to Costa Rica for there Honeymoon. Many thanks to all of you who helped me out with great advice and suggestions, so their week would be memorable and FUN! I have a few last minute, but very important questions.
Should they rely on ATM cards and credit cards for cash or should they get travellers checks? They will be in San Jose, Arenal & Manuel Antonio. Their last day is in San Jose, where they want to see the city. Should they stay mnear the airport or in the city? They have a 5:00a.m. flight home, and we have no idea how far the airport is or how easy it will be to get a taxi that early. They're turning in their car when they get to San Jose. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Eressea Nov 12th, 2008 12:34 PM

I relied on my ATM card and credit card for cash and didn't bother with travellers checks. Some less touristy places don't always accept credit cards or even dollars, so make sure you have colones on hand always. I always carried colones with me and my ATM card but I usually tipped my guides in dollars.

For their last day in San Jose, you can definitely stay in the city as the airport is only a half hour drive away in Alajuela and the hotel can arrange for an airport shuttle to bring them even for an early am flight. The shuttle costs $20 normally although I've shared one with some travel buddies and for the three of us to get to San Jose from the airport it cost $25.

shillmac Nov 12th, 2008 01:35 PM

zwho, traveler's cheques are not practical as a way of obtaining needed cash. However, if you know ahead that you are staying in hotels that accept them as payment, they are very handy for that purpose. We nearly always determine which hotels accept them (most) and take enough to cover those costs.

We don't like carrying huge sums of $$. Hotels are a large expense, so the TC's are helpful in that way.

We start out with about $300 in cash, and replenish it in increments of $300 as necessary. There is an ATM charge for every transaction, so gone are the days of taking $100 or $150 out at a time!

We split our $$ always and carry it in different places. I carry half in 2 places (in my backpack, luggage, zippered pockets, etc), and he carries half in 2 places. . . .

qwovadis Nov 12th, 2008 01:43 PM

Use my no fee Capital One Visa

For ATM cash TCs

Difficult to cash fees

www.thealtahotel.com

is excellent in Escazu best area.

perfect for flight nights

free airport xport

Book on expedia for $100

volcanogirl Nov 12th, 2008 02:45 PM

We liked Grano de Oro in San Jose; it's built in an old mansion and has wonderful service and a great restaurant on site. Nice rooftop garden with hot tubs.

SCAPEL Nov 12th, 2008 05:06 PM

One of the most memorable things in Costa Rica was a rapids trip on the Paquare River. Don't remember the tour agency, but it was quite an experience. I'm not an experienced rapid runner, but this was great.