Last Minute Mexico City or Puerto Vallarta

Old Jul 5th, 2007, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last Minute Mexico City or Puerto Vallarta

Please help !!! I have an option to go to both citties about the same price. I am a solo traveler and love history and just wandering which one you would pick... I'm leaving today.

Thanks
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 08:37 AM

if you like history Id def go to mexico city, lots to look at in the city itself, especially near zocalo area and also in south, around coyoacan. You can also do day trips to teotihuacan to see pyramids, malinalco, cuernavaca, taxco and other colonial towns. Have fun.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 02:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
i'd go to Puerto Vallarta because I love it there. summer is a wonderful time because there are many less American/Canadian tourists, more Mexican people about. it's very easy to pull off a fun trip without any prior planning.

Myself, for a place as huge and potentially overwhelming as Mexico City, I'd want to have done plenty of research ahead of time.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 03:26 PM

Boy, that's some choice - rather like asking to choose between Washington DC and the Poconos!
Mexico DF is huge and urban, in the interior and full of interesting sites (personal favorite is the Anthropological Museum) in town and other things not far away (Piramides, Xochimilco).
PV is a beach resort. Pretty and not despoiled but in the last several years has gotten more filed with resorts. You'd have a harder time walking about other than on the beach.
I'd be happy doing either, but would give DF the edge unless i wanted to escape urbanity and just chill.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 03:29 PM

There's loads of wandering, walking and exploring to be done on foot around El Centro (downtown Puerto Vallarta) and into the residential neighborhoods. I'm not sure I understand the comment above that you could only walk on the beach. That doesn't make any sense to me.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Pausanias

"I am a solo traveler and love history and just wandering "

Mexico City.

Old Jul 5th, 2007, 05:23 PM

suze - i know you are a PV fan and meant no disrespect. I like PV, too, and have had some great times there but DF is just so much larger and offers more options in the way of museums and cultural activities.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 10:47 PM

I absolutely agree!! But for a trip with no time to research, which this seemed to be, was more what I was thinking of. PV is easy. Mexico City, I'd think, you'd want to have a plan for what you are doing before you just blow into the airport there. Hopefully our OP will let us know how things turned out and what he/she decided.