Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Last flight of the day out of the Osa Peninsula? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/last-flight-of-the-day-out-of-the-osa-peninsula-399081/)

coloparker Jul 21st, 2008 05:12 PM

Last flight of the day out of the Osa Peninsula?

How comfortable or uncomfortable would you be taking the last Sansa or Nature Air flight out of Puerto Jimeniz into San Jose? If the flight is cancelled for some reason, we'd miss our am flight the next morning back home. However, I hate to give up time in the Osa to kill half a day in San Jose. Our trip is next March so it wouldn't be rainy season. What are your thoughts?

fae Jul 21st, 2008 05:23 PM

We took the last flight out on our visit last time so that we could go to the Animal Sanctuary before our flight left. We have the last flight schedule out for our visit in a 2 weeks. I never even thought about our flight being canceled. Something to think about though.

hipvirgochick Jul 21st, 2008 06:57 PM

I wouldn't chance it if it means missing an Int'l flight. I've taken the last flight out with Sansa twice, once cancelled, once ok. The time it was cancelled was "dry" season, (April 6), whereas in rainy season it was on schedule.

We were able to scramble and get seats on the last flight with Nature Air, but I wouldn't count on this. We made the Int'l flight out the next morning, but didn't enjoy our leisurely afternoon at Orchideas pool.

For peace of mind I'd give yourselves a little leadway. ;)

janenicole Jul 22nd, 2008 04:35 AM

I wouldn't be comfortable taking the last flight. Even if weather is okay, there could be mechanical problems that come up. It's hard to leave the Osa early, but a pain to miss an international flight.

We will be on the Osa next March 7 at Bosque del Cabo. Where are you headed?

georgewoodie Jul 22nd, 2008 06:11 AM

coloparker:

I would not depend on the last flight.

We left Osa last February on Nature Air. Luckily for us we arrived at the terminal quite early.

The plane left an hour earlier than schedule and one passenger missed the flight for that reason.

My wife and I heard the "gate" attendant tell one of the crew that one passenger was still not present but they flew off anyway. The "gate" attendant was quite disturbed, no doubt as he would have to later deal with this person. My wife is fluent in Spanish so she was not mistaken.

While we found Nature Air pretty good I do not think I would depend on them to live up to their schedule.

Whatever their reason, that passenger was out of luck.

Woodie

owlwoman Jul 22nd, 2008 06:22 AM

We took the last flight out on Sansa this past March and it was cancelled due to late thunderstorms (the plane landed, just never took off again) Fortunately, our int'l flight was not until 2:00 pm the next day, Sansa had us fly out at 6:00 the next morning, so we just had enough time to go to Orquedias, where we had left our big luggage, have breakfast, take a shower and repack.

coloparker Jul 23rd, 2008 12:30 PM

Thanks so much for your advice. I won't chance it and we'll take an earlier flight. Janenicole, we'll be at Bosque del Cabo for 3 nights and then Iguana Lodge for 2 nights. We won't be there until March 25th though so we'll miss you. Have a super trip!

janenicole Jul 24th, 2008 05:22 AM

Thanks - you have a great one as well!