Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Large family 30+ traveling to CR end of March... Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2010, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family is planning a trip to Costa Rica from California - last week of March 2010. Our flights are all arriving between 0930-1100 in SJO. From there we're planning somehow to get everyone up to Arenal for about 2-3 days before heading back to San Jose for a Sansa flight down to the Zancudo Lodge for some R&R and fishing.
Question is how can we get this large group up to Arenal and back? Should we all rent individual cars or charter a bus that would carry all 30 of us?
Also any suggestions for hotels to can accomodate this group - I'm personally opting for the Lost Iguana, but some have mentioned Arenal Observatory which seems a bit more basic to me.
Old Jan 12th, 2010, 10:11 PM

Another good option is Silencio Del Campo in Arenal. You will need to hire private transfers I would think, you can try tucan http://www.tucanlimoservices.com/ or Arenal Star http://arenalstar.com/index_in.html I got some good hotel and trip discounts recently with crrefferrals http://www.crreferrals.com/TravelExperts.html
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 02:42 AM

AOL is more basic; it gets you right up on top of the volcano which some people like. We love the Lost Iguana - very pretty property with a great volcano view. We've seen lava from there several times. If you stay there, you might want to consider renting individual cars so you can have them to go out exploring once you get there. If you want, you can contact Carlos Bogarin, the driver for the Lost Iguana, to arrange transportation, but with that many people, I think driving is your best option. You guys could also fly if you wanted to.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 03:51 AM

For 30 people you could easily charter a small bus to take you up to Arenal. Contact Rodolfo Alvarez at Horizontes Nature Tours for a quote. [email protected] I think this could be much cheaper than renting individual cars.

Most tours will pick you up at the hotel and drop off for your daily activities.

If you have 30 people all wanting to stay in the same hotel, you need reservations now!! We liked Arenal Paraiso which I think (not positive) has more room than AOL. I believe there are around 100 cabins total, standard and deluxe, plus a swimming pool, several thermal pools, horseback riding and a canopy/zipline with 11 lines. www.arenalparaiso.com You would be able to do many of your activities on the hotel grounds, eliminating the need for transportation.

If you are thinking of Eco-Termales, again you should make reservations now since they limit each session to 100 people.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 06:07 AM

I think you need a travel professional to help you. Even an experienced professional would be hard pressed to get all this settled in two months. To start with, it will probably take 3 or 4 different Sansa flights to get all of you anywhere--if the seats are available.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 08:24 AM

Yea, I didnt think about the nature flights, the last poster is right those planes are small. you are also getting close to Easter week which is a nightmare here. You really do need to start booking now. The trip planners at crreferrals I mentioned before are great, also someone mentioned Horizontes another great company here in CR. Good Luck!
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 08:37 AM

Mary, Pat Hewitt is a travel professional on the boards; you might contact him as well. He gets lots of rave reviews.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 08:46 AM

Here's the contact info. for Carlos Bogarin if you want to contact him. His e-mail is [email protected] and his website is www.destinos-encantados.com. He's very reliable. If you don't rent cars, do you guys just plan to use taxis to go to dinner or stay at the hotel?
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 10:56 AM

Sounds like a fun trip! I took a trip to Mexico a few years about with the same size group and it was a blast.

First off, start sending off res'v availablity requests asap, unless you're working with an agent. You are going during the BUSIEST week in Costa Rica being Easter week mainly, but also Spring break for many areas in the states. Many places have been booked for months.

As far as a bus you can also contact Interbus. They have tourist buses that will seat 30 you can charter privately.

Plan on at least 3 nights in Arenal, great area, tons to do.
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 12:50 PM

www.tucanlimoservices.com

probably can set xport up for you
Old Jan 13th, 2010, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Everyone! I emailed Pat Hewitt last night and he was kind enough to call me this morning with lots of great suggestions. We are not going to rent the cars - it'll be like a convoy driving to Arenal - so what we'll probably do is charter a couple of vans and keep one as a shuttle during our stay.
He also mentioned the Mountain Paradise Resort which will be able to accomodate all of us during our stay.
Cross your fingers - I may be exiled from the family!
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 05:18 AM

Sounds like it's shaping up well!