Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   lapaz waterfalls or poas volcano? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/lapaz-waterfalls-or-poas-volcano-291348/)

debbie1958 Feb 22nd, 2003 05:13 AM

lapaz waterfalls or poas volcano?

If you could do one thing would you take a chance and go to Poas Volcano or would you go to LaPaz Waterfall? Which would be more interesting with kids?

ligonite1 Feb 24th, 2003 09:45 AM

Debbie--I think that you can fit both into a morning-early afternoon day--its best to get to Poas really early--people say its more likely to be clear then--then lunch on the road or at LaPaz and walk their trails for an hour or two--we thought we had the same dilemma but we're going to do both in March

peg Feb 24th, 2003 12:22 PM

Hi Debbie:<BR><BR>Depending on your time frame the above poster is correct that you can do both in a day.<BR><BR>We did Paos in the morning, and lucked out becuase as we were standing there it suddenly cleared for about 10 minutes then went back to cloudy. <BR><BR>As for La Paz, we ate lunch there. Buffet style, and as I recall it wasn't too bad. There is a butterfly house, hummingbird garden, orchid garden, and five waterfalls. There are a lot of steps for the falls, you continually walk down steps until you view the last waterfall. Then you have the option of walking back up all them steps, or wait a few minutes and let the van take you back. You will see a sign for it. The butterfly house has many different butterflies to see, and it is fun to sit in the hummingbird garden and watch all the hummingbirds buzz by you.<BR><BR>If you needed to chose one, I would go with La Paz. I think it would be more interesting for the kids. We were there in Oct. '01 and although it was raining at the time, we still enjoyed La Paz.

debbie1958 Feb 26th, 2003 04:52 AM

Are the hummingbirds wild or are they in an aviary? We thought it would be neat to see a volcan o as we have never seen one but does anyone know how often you actually get to see it? Thanks for the replies!

ebrener Feb 26th, 2003 06:58 AM

Hi Debbie:<BR><BR>I went to La Paz last month, but could not make it to Poas because of other engagements that morning. <BR><BR>We really enjoyed La Paz. Our guide was a boy of about 10 who really knew his stuff...the butterflies, plants, etc. The hummingbird garden is open, a small garden really...they put nectar on bird feeders to attract them, and they really do buzz by you! Even though it's small, it's really neat to see the different colors they have...<BR><BR>As for the waterfalls, just be aware that there are MANY steps, and some are just on an iron railing, so it may not be the best of places if you're afraid of heights...<BR><BR>I hope you enjoy it!<BR><BR>Enrique

peg Feb 26th, 2003 11:10 AM

Debbie:<BR><BR>It is neat to see the volcano, but to be honest we almost gave up and left. It was all of a sudden the clouds cleared and there it was, but just that quick the clouds came in. There isn't much else to see there either. You walk up a paved path to the platform and stand there looking down into the crater. After you are done walk back down the path, and if you chose there is a gift shop and restrooms. If you want to see some pictures let me know and I will post my e-mail address and you can contact me directly.<BR><BR>As for the hummingbirds, they are free to roam where ever they please. It is really interesting to see all the different kinds.

ligonite1 Feb 27th, 2003 06:46 AM

There's at least one other trail at Poas that leads to an overlook of a lake in an older crater. this trail is not paved, it is surrounded by thick forest with lots of birds and it is a very pleasant walk. As you start your walk back down from the main crater the trail is on your left.<BR><BR>

debbie1958 Feb 28th, 2003 03:56 AM

hi there, you seem to know alot about the area. Do you have any info on a driver that we could hire? we have had difficulty locating one! Any info would be greatly appreciated. We are going next week - Thanks, Debbie

Tess_Durberville Feb 28th, 2003 07:23 AM

Debbie,<BR><BR>Found a series of GREAT photos taken by someone who recently was in CR &gt; &gt; &gt; http://www.geocities.com/george9t8_2/ &lt; &lt; &lt; Bumped into his URL while strolling thru Lonely Planet's message board (another source for travel info --- www.thorntree.lonelyplanet.com.<BR><BR>He has pics of the Poas Volcano; what you actually see is the crater filled with water (?). I've been there and it was interesting, however do be aware that Poas doesn't have the dramatic triange volcano shape as does Arenal.<BR><BR>

ligonite1 Mar 1st, 2003 06:38 AM

Debbie-Have you asked your hotel to get you a driver? That's usualy a good way to do it.