Lapa Rios or BdC for families who want beach

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are considering a trip with another family but they really want easy access to the beach for their 3 kids ages 5 to 11. Our kids are 10 and 11 and will be more into ziplines, etc than the beach but we would like access also, i.e. not a treacherous hike that discourages you from ever going. Also, both families want 2 bedrooms and I can't tell if Lapa Rios has that. This is for April 22-29. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:23 AM

We love Bosque del Cabo, but if you want to go to the beach there, you're going to have to hike. There's a Pacific Trail and a Golfo Dulce Trail. They have houses you can rent and also have 3 cabins that have lofts upstairs.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

volcanogirl,
thanks for the input. How long and how difficult of a hike? Can a sturdy 5 yr old boy do it?
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 10:30 AM

I would start by sending out availability requests to see what's available before you get your heart set on anything definite. That's a fairly busy month.

That said, I don't think either are going to offer a quick jaunt to the beach, but I will put my vote in for Bosque del Cabo. I took my 10 year old there last year and loved it so much we're returning this April.

If you have a few days and want to do a split with an Osa beach destination you might check out Iguana Lodge or Black Turtle Lodge, about 1 hour or so from BDC.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We have been to CR 3 times so I already emailed both places. Just don't know how long it'll be before I hear back. I doubt we'll split the week b/c we already might have to stay in SJ the first night and the night before departure. If we have to choose one, most people on this site seem to highly prefer BdC, but we aren't familiar with Iguana so I'll check that out too. Thanks
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:27 PM

If you're looking for easy access to the beach as a main requirement, BDC definitely does NOT have that. I havent' been to Iguana Lodge or Black Turtle, but they both get excellent reviews on trip advisor as well as here and they look really nice for a beach location, but also on the Osa. I was strongly considering either for our next trip, but just couldn't work it in with the timing.

Having been to BDC, which we really did like - I think given your needs for the beach and the fact that you're travelling with kids as young as 5, I'd go for either the Iguana or Black Turtle this trip.
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 01:33 PM

I was going to say the same thing - check out Iguana Lodge; it gets good reviews. I think 5 is a little young to be going up and down those trails and the beach access should be easier with kids that young. Good luck!
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:42 PM

jdp, I don't know if this would appeal to you, but are you at all interested in Manuel Antonio? It's really popular with families due to easy beach access, the National Park, wildlife, and a variety of restaurant choices. It's pretty developed but may fit the bill for what you're looking for. There's also the mangrove tour, sailing, horseback riding, ziplines, etc. Just a thought....
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 07:39 AM

Another good alternative can be LUNA LODGE in Carate...the lodge is at the hills but they will drive you to CARATE beach about 5 minutes by car...and is one of the main entrances to Corcovado National Park.

Some of the Lodges in that area are well overpriced!

Luis
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all- where in Manuel Antonio if we want 2 bedrooms per family? We have ruled out BDC
Old Feb 23rd, 2008, 08:28 AM

jdp, Si Como No is popular with families. I know they have an adult pool, as well as a kids' pool. Also 2 restaurants on site and a movie theater. Nice gift shop and internet access. I'd check there and see if they have what you're looking for. Also Buena Vista Villas/Tulemar Bungalos is popular with families too. Maybe check out Costa Verde too.
Old Feb 25th, 2008, 03:29 AM

Our family went to Manuel Antonio last year and liked it so much decided to go to the Osa this year. We just got back from Black Turtle Lodge and Bosque del Cabo (trip report in a few days). Given your desire for easy beach access, it really doesn't get any easier than Black Turtle Lodge or Iguana Lodge as you just walk down a flat short path and you are on the beach. If your families haven't yet traveled to Costa Rica then you might be more comfortable in Manual Antonio which has gorgeous beaches, plenty of wildlife (which is very easy to see), more traditional accomodations and lots of activities to try. It is just easier overall. Black Turtle Lodge was great but you have to be comfortable sleeping in what is essentially a screened in porch and using a bathroom al fresco. Please feel free to ask any questions about either area, both vacations were fabulous in different ways.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of your help. We have been 3 times, but this is the 1st for the other family, and b/c their kids are younger, they did not want to deal with the eco-lodge type places (I am not a big fan of potential bats flying into the loft area at BdC either, I must admit). We settled on a villa near LIR for 5 nights and then 2 nights at Finca Rosa Blanca, which we've wanted to stay at for a while. The only prob is that Finca hasn't returned any of my emails other than the auto-reply when I filled out the reservation form on line. Perhaps I will need to pick up the phone.....
still need an idea for a stop on the way to Finca (near Heredia) from LIR area. Thanks again.