Lake District Crossing

Old Jun 23rd, 2001, 03:34 PM
David

Lake District Crossing

I am looking for advice on 3-5 day tours between Bariloche, Argentina, and Puerto Montt, Chile. Anyone have any good experiences/recommendations? I have the airfare into Bariloche/out of Puerto Montt covered - need advice on hotels, transporation, and sightseeing.

Thanks!

Old Jun 27th, 2001, 04:48 PM
Mike Grenda

I was in Argentina and Chile in Feb but never got that far south. We had a lot of luck finding rooms in resorts and hotels without reservations outside the capital cities. We rented cars and drove the country side in both countries, put on a lot of kilometers in Chile, the roads tend to not be paved off of the main north south highway. Have a great trip!

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 01:47 AM
Robert

Bariloche to Puerto Montt Lake Crossing.

A few years ago my son (high school) and I took the border crossing that leaves the newer pier in downtown Bariloch on and enclosed Catamaran and takes about 2 1/2 hours to cross the long lake to the other end. The crossing is done in 2 days with a stop at a very pleasant lodge just inside Chile and then continues onto Puerto Montt the next day. It was one of the most beautiful journeys that I have every made in my life and I have traveled to about 40 countries. I have visited every country in South America (some multiple times) and also Central America except only Venezuela. I am going down to Santiago on Aug 1, 2001 and 14 days in Chile and then on to Buenos Aires buy by plane this time and then return to LAX on Aug 25th. The catamaran trip ends at other end of lake and every one goes into a fairly nice hotel lodge where lunch is ready. you then take a short bus ride winding through the Andes towards Chile and then get onto another boat and cross another lake. At opposite side of lake you go through Chilean Customs. you then continue in a bus through the Andes to the place where you spend the night as I recall. the hotel there was pleasant and we got there early enough to take a couple of short walks or hikes to beautiful nearby scenic sites. You are on the edge of another lake here. the crossing is always done in two days in their winter ie. July & August but it can be done all in one day in the Summer months down there such as December and January.
The next morning you board a very modern boat again and cross another lake with video entertainment with very interesting Cultural info about the Chilean area you are visiting. After that lake crossing you board a bus to wind down through the remaining portion of the Andes past Osorno Volcano (beautiful) and visit a turqoise blue river with beautiful rapids which was gorgeous. We finally arrived in Puerto Montt and they then deliver you to the different hotels that people have booked. There is only one company that does the crossing from the Argentina side towards the Chilean side and only one company that does the crossing from the Chilean side towards the Argentine side. The company that is in Purto Montt that is in charge of the transfers towards Argentina did a realy nice private tour with us the next day to Isla Chiloe which was beautiful with a fish lunch. Southern Chile is one of the most beautiful places I've seen. We then took an extremely luxurious 2 story bus from Pto. Montt to Santiago overnight which had three first class airplane type seats on top level and served a hot dinner with hors d'oerves and frquent soft or other drinks and shown 2 videos with electric head sets. then they prepared our downstairs full lay down bed in a compartment with pulled curtain and upper and lower berth like you see in the old US train movies like Jack Lemmon's Some Like It Hot. It was the most luxurious and incredible bus I've ever taken anywhere and was very little money. When in Pto. Montt I asked around town which was the absolutely the best and nicest deluxe bus to get to Santiago and several sources told us the same bus company (sorry can't remember their name any longer). Anyway if I am not mistaken these two companies for the Lake Crossings have an exclusive franchise for the crossing and if you go in winter it is usually done in 2 days. (Maybe they allow you to stay more time at that nice lodge with good food at the halfway point on the edge of that lake. In Bariloche I arranged it all and asked around town and everyone told us that this one agency does the Lake Crossing from Bariloche to Pto. Montt. Hope this helps a little. I've been to Bariloche three times and lived in Argentina two years. I went to Bs.As. again last August and will go there after Chile on this trip.
Robert
[email protected]

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 10:54 PM
David

Thank you for the advice.

I found out a lot of information about the Chile - Argentina Lake Crossing. The main company operating is called Cruce De Lagos. There is a website http://www.crucedelagos.cl/ with lots of information. You can also email them at [email protected].

The folks running the website are a promotion office only, so they do not make reservations - they will refer you to a travel agent. In the US, these were the agents/agencies recommended by the company:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

If you already have an agent, I am sure they can help you as well.

You can make the crossing in one or two days, or take a longer time with side trips. In the summer they operate every day except Sunday (Southern Hemisphere Summer).

Old Mar 3rd, 2002, 06:35 AM
x

Any recommendations for places to stay or restaurants in Bariloche? Anyone been there recently? How are the prices?

Old May 13th, 2002, 10:43 AM
BARILOCHE REPLY

Mr x

i have just been to bariloche and there is a v. g. hotel called Plaza just in front of the cathedral. it costed around £6 a night for 2 people. Bariloche is dead cheap, nearly 4 times less than anywhere in chile. I liked the chilean side better though.