Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Labor Day Weekend Weather in Playa Del Carmen (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/labor-day-weekend-weather-in-playa-del-carmen-1024011/)

gracie Aug 26th, 2014 03:35 PM

Labor Day Weekend Weather in Playa Del Carmen

DH and I are spending Labor Day weekend in Playa Del Carmen. We only have three nights there. Just checked the weather forecast and it calls for 80 percent chain of rain all weekend. I realize weather forecasts more than a few days off are not that accurate. And, living in Florida, we are accustomed daily afternoon thunderstorms in the summer. But, I would be very upset if it rained all day every day.

Am I getting worked up over nothing? We have trip insurance, but I don't know the details. I don't know whether we should cancel or just pray for some sun.

Any reassurances from my fellow fodorites?

emd3 Aug 27th, 2014 05:15 AM

I own a condo in Playa. My husband is going down there this weekend also. There is some construction near our condo going on. I have friends and a property manager in Playa whom I have been in touch with about the weather. they inquired for me yesterday with the company doing the construction, and they were told that the construction crew is planning on working all weekend. They have been working every day this week in full bright sun.

Ignore the forecasts, they are notoriously incorrect for that area. Many times it says rain and I go down there to full bright sun and no rain at all, or maybe a brief afternoon shower depending on the time of yr. As of now, there are no tropical depressions or storms off the coast, and those are all that would really affect your stay. Go and enjoy.

gracie Aug 27th, 2014 06:39 AM

emd3, thank you so, so much for the intel. You don't know how much I appreciate that.

As of now, the trip is still a "go."

gracie Aug 27th, 2014 03:30 PM

I don't mind a few hours of rain each day. I live in Florida, so I am used to that summer weather pattern. Since we only have two full days there (this Saturday and Sunday), what I am afraid of is that it will rain ALL both of those days. That would really bum me out.

emd3 Aug 27th, 2014 05:24 PM

Honestly, you can fret all you want, now, on the plane, and once you get there-- and it won't change the weather. You have been given info based on people who are on the ground in Playa and live there, right now. Just try to let go and try to enjoy yourself.

gracie Aug 28th, 2014 06:03 AM

We decided to go. If it rains all day, maybe we will get a massage or some other spa treatment. :)

emd3 Aug 29th, 2014 02:41 AM

It is not going to rain all day!

emd3 Aug 29th, 2014 02:42 AM

Honestly, I don't think you want assurances or real info. I think you want to worry about it.

I hope you can enjoy the trip.

Rohelio Aug 29th, 2014 08:46 AM

One thing is for sure... the weather forecast in Playa IS notorious for being wayyyy off base.!

Christina Aug 30th, 2014 02:30 PM

The forecasts aren't that wrong about rain, it probably will rain. But 80% chance of rain doesn't mean it will rain all day. Mark is correct, it is usually only an hour or so. At least when I've been there, but I haven't been there Labor Day.

I just looked at the weather report, and yes, it says 100% chance of rain tomorrow, but it doesn't say it is going to be raining all day. Today, for example, it was cloudy most of the time but 80% chance of rain tonight.

Well, it won't rain all day but if you don't want to risk your vacation, it probalby will rain every day some, you just can't go at certain times of the year without that being the case.

emd3 Aug 30th, 2014 08:37 PM

My husband landed in Cancun at 2 pm today and took the ADO bus from the airport to Playa del Carmen. It was partly cloudy but sunny when he got out of the airport and boarded the bus. No rain at all, nice afternoon and early evening.

Tonight around 9pm a storm blew through, rain for an hour or so. Then it stopped. No more rain tonight.

He is there til Thursday afternoon. I can give you a report each day if you want.

gracie Sep 1st, 2014 10:27 PM

We went and are already back. Will post trip report in a day or two. Weather was fine.

emd3 Sep 2nd, 2014 08:15 AM

So much worry for nothing! Glad it went well, my husband is also reporting nice weather this week. As my father used to say, "If worrying changed anything, I'd worry a lot more." Great philosophy.

emd3 Sep 2nd, 2014 09:09 PM

And my husband reports that the weather has been fantastic since Monday, no rain at all, clear blue skies and hot.