La Paz, Baja California, El Morro

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone ever stayed at the El Morro in La Paz, Baja California?
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 03:38 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Club El Moro? The hotel at the south end of town along the highway?

I did and absolutely loved the place. This was ~5 years ago. I had a lovely huge studio at a very reasonable price. It's a bit to the edge of town, so maybe a 15 mins. walk to get to the center.

Old Oct 19th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

Yes, Club El Moro. I had the spelling wrong. My husband & I will be there for about 9 days-& we will be in our room more than a usual vacation as we are attending language school & will be studying. So the rooms are kind of important. Big? Views? Bdrm closes off? Any tidbits are welcomed!
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 06:49 AM

Funny, I found this hotel by recommendation on another travel board (Lonely Planet Thorn Tree and still correspond with the person).

It is a wonderful place to stay. Very peaceful, with beautiful grounds, big pool, small outdoor bar, and restaurant. I think it will be perfect for your studying situation.

I believe there are different room configurations, some have separate bedrooms. Mine was a huge open studio, the least expensive option. I don't think there are any views, per se, other than of the lovely grounds and gardens (because the ocean is on the other side of the highway).

The cafe serves breakfast and lunch. The included 'continental breakfast' was nothing much but for a few dollars you can have a great hot meal. Delicious.

If you have a room with a kitchenette, there is a grocery store you can walk to (hmmm... name starts with an A, like Aramburo maybe, easy to spot since there's a pink plastic cow on the roof!, the front desk can direct you).

There're coin op washer/dryers available in a separate building.

My room was spotless. Very well appointed with Mexican tile kitchen and bathroom. Seating area with sofa, chair, coffee table and TV. Private patio with table and chairs. Two large beds, open closet.

Hope this helps! I'm jealous and would be interested in hearing about your language school experience after you return, if you wouldn't mind posting.

If you have any other specific questions about the hotel, post again, I'm happy to help if I can.

If I sound excited about the hotel, it's because it is one of my favorites anywhere. Really a great value for the price. Maybe I can follow in your footsteps, as my Spanish could certainly use some work!
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 06:54 AM

One thing I will mention is that if your school is in the central part of town, it is a bit of a walk from the hotel. I don't mean this as a negative only that you may need to allow 1/2 hour or so depending on exactly where it's located.
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. You are correct about the school being a bit of a walk-the school told me about 15 minutes, but maybe we will rent bikes. Is it a highway highway, or more of a road? And are there places actually on the beach or are all the lodgings on the same side as El Moro?
I will definitely post when we return-the trip is Feb/Mar so look for my after trip info around mid March.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 06:50 AM

I'm afraid it's really a highway, the main road heading out of town along the beach/ocean. It is not terribly busy and if I remember right just two lanes. The hotel sits back from it so it didn't bother me.

I did not see any hotels actually on the beach within La Paz (though I heard there are a couple of resorts by the Marina somewhere with a bit). I visited ~6 other hotels to check them out and El Moro was BY FAR the nicest in my opinion. Others were right in downtown and none in a similar price range had a pool. I consider it WELL worth the walk, which you can do either inland thru the town streets or staying along The Malecon (seawall).

La Paz is a bit unusual for a vacation in this regard. The beaches within town are not so nice, more for fishermen, children's playground, like that. If you want to really "go to the beach" you head out of town, north or south by car, bus, or taxi and then will find very beautiful ones.

Depending where in downtown you are walking, is 5 mins to get to the edge of town proper, then another 25 mins if you were walking all the way across it to the far side.

I spent two weeks solo (it was 5 years ago but La Paz doesn't strike me as the kind of town that would have changed much) without a car, so feel I got a pretty good sense of things there.

Funny, Feb/Mar was the time of my trip. The weather was gorgeous, absolutely terrific.

Post again if you think of anything else as your trip gets closer. I check Fodors most days, although don't often see questions about La Paz!

Study hard, have fun