la paz &/or sucre.... worth a trip from cuzco?

Old Dec 25th, 2004, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
la paz &/or sucre.... worth a trip from cuzco?

we plan to be in the cuzco area for a week in june. then would like to go elsewhere but not to a jungle area. thinking of la paz &/or sucre. we like the outdoors,pretty towns and scenery,walking. what do you think?
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 01:21 PM

If the steamer is running on Titicaca, I would take it to La Paz.

Bolivia is a marvelous albeit bewildering place. I don't know Sucre at all, but to spend a couple of days in La Paz will give you puh-lenty to remember.
Old Dec 27th, 2004, 01:42 PM

I found La Paz a pretty amazing place especially if you go out to the "moonscape" area. Just flying in there was amazing and the people were lovely too.
If only I could remember the name of the hotel where there is a restaurant on the 7th floor with floor to ceiling windows with the best views you could get of La Paz ( the food was great too . I enjoyed La Paz and hopefully will get back there again one day.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 08:45 AM

I'll have an opinion on this after our Bolivia/Peru trip in Feb.

- Sharon
Old Feb 13th, 2005, 07:40 AM

If you are interested in dinosaur tracks--Sucre has one of the best set of dinosaur tracks in the world. Good chocolate, penas (folkloric groups), saltenas (meat pies), sausages, weavings etc. Sucre should be much less expensive than Cuzco and you won't be hassled as much (less touristy than Cuzco--big college town and government/legislative offices)
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 12:11 PM

Have not been to Sucre, but La Paz is one of the most interesting places in South America. Definately worth a visit. Witches market is great.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 10:09 AM
epi

I agree about La Paz. We just returned last night and were so pleasantly surprised by La Paz! There are many warnings about its danger, and there are a tremendous number of security/police on the streets, but we felt comfortable. The markets are incredible. One thing to know - don't take pictures in the big market unless you are buying from the person and ask permission. People in Bolvia are not necessarily happy to have pictures taken. Something no one else has mentioned - La Paz is cheap. We had dinner at a "very expensive" restaurant called Vienna, and it cost S25 for two of us, with appetizers, dinner a desert, a glass of wine and a beer.
We actually preferred La Paz to Cusco. The vendors in Cusco can be pretty annoying, and La Paz is much more of a city. Do try to go to Moon Valley - very pretty.
Old Apr 24th, 2005, 07:31 AM

La Paz is worth a trip. Depending on your time and budget you can take the Orient Express to Puno and from there you can go by public transport to Copacabana, Bolivia and along the lake Titicaca to La Paz. Sucre is "off" the route. If you want to visit Sucre you can also include Potosi, the famous mining town. The contrary to the jungle is the Salar de Uyuni, the world's largest salt flat (12,000 sqkm)