La Fortuna Waterfall near Arenal.. worth it?

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 10:15 AM
Carol

La Fortuna Waterfall near Arenal.. worth it?

I keep hearing about horseback riding trips to the La Fortuna waterfall near the Arenal volcano. Many people have recommended it. I will be in CR in a few weeks, and wanted to know if this was really worth doing. <BR><BR>I'm not really big on horses (haven't been on one since I was a teenager) so I was wondering how long the horseback ride was. Can anyone recommend a good tour operator that treats their horses well? (I've heard some disturbing stuff about mistreated animals.) <BR><BR>Also, is the trip really more about swimming once you get there? I probably wouldn't want to swim... is it worth it for the enjoyment of the hike and scenery alone?<BR><BR>Thanks in advance,<BR>Carol

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 02:51 PM
Tess

Carol,<BR><BR>I'm embarassed to admit that twice I've tried to get down to the waterfall and yet have made it. I'm giving up! <BR><BR>In order to get to the waterfall you have to trek down a looooong series of steps carved into the landscape. On my first trip to CR, I was with a tour group and about halfway down I realized my level of fitness would not allow me to haul my a$$ back up those stairs once I reached the bottom --- so I turned around and waited back at the top for the others.<BR><BR>Second try --- went back to CR this September and THIS time, I thought, what the heck I'll take the horseback ride to the falls and give it another go (it'd been 10 months since my previous trip, I was in better shape, etc.). Well, let me tell you that one really shouldn't start horseback riding at age 40-something. Yes, it was my very first time on a horse! Goodness, what was I thinking? The ride took about an hour or so to get there. By this time, I'm a bit disheveled &amp; worn out --- and didn't even try hiking down to the falls. I sat trying to recover from the ride and preparing myself for our return. Eventually got back to Tabacon (tour guide had picked us up @resort &amp; drove to LaFortuna, where we got on horses). I was walking funny for the rest of the day. That's my adventure. You may want to hear from others who've actually SEEN the water.<BR><BR>

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 02:52 PM
Tess

Carol,<BR><BR>I'm embarassed to admit that twice I've tried to get down to the waterfall and yet have made it. I'm giving up! <BR><BR>In order to get to the waterfall you have to trek down a looooong series of steps carved into the landscape. On my first trip to CR, I was with a tour group and about halfway down I realized my level of fitness would not allow me to haul my a$$ back up those stairs once I reached the bottom --- so I turned around and waited back at the top for the others.<BR><BR>Second try --- went back to CR this September and THIS time, I thought, what the heck I'll take the horseback ride to the falls and give it another go (it'd been 10 months since my previous trip, I was in better shape, etc.). Well, let me tell you that one really shouldn't start horseback riding at age 40-something. Yes, it was my very first time on a horse! Goodness, what was I thinking? The ride took about an hour or so to get there. By this time, I'm a bit disheveled &amp; worn out --- and didn't even try hiking down to the falls. I sat trying to recover from the ride and preparing myself for our return. Eventually got back to Tabacon (tour guide had picked us up @resort &amp; drove to LaFortuna, where we got on horses). I was walking funny for the rest of the day. That's my adventure. You may want to hear from others who've actually SEEN the water.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 03:34 PM
Carol

Thanks for sharing your experience, Tess! I'm thinking that since the hike is strenuous enough (which I'd probably be up for, being a glutton for punishment...) I think that spending an hour on a horse to get there, then having to spend another hour getting back... well, that's probably a bit too much for me to do, at least while on vacation! <BR><BR>When you went with the tour, did they drive up close to the falls? I'm staying in Fortuna, close to the waterfall, so maybe I could simple take a taxi to somewhere close enough for me to hike in. Does that sound feasible?<BR><BR>Thanks again!<BR>P.S.. I love your screen name... very clever

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 05:46 PM
David Cook

We made it down a few years ago (my wife &amp; I, 2 kids aged 5 &amp; 10) with some difficulty (slow going with the kids) but it was well worth it, a fantastic spot and since we went in the morning, very few people around. The swim is fantastic with the power of the waterfall so close! You don't have to take a horse, you can drive most of the way then walk the rest. Tour operators were all over the town of Fortuna; shop around. The whole Arenal area is neat, the volcano, hot springs, and giant lake.

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Tess

Hi again Carol,<BR><BR>As David said, you don't need to travel by horse and can take a taxi to the waterfall. When I went with the guided tour, our bus pulled up and dropped us off at entrance --- you pay a small fee and then begin your hike down, down, down ...<BR><BR>My one suggestion on the trek there, as well as other hiking in CR is to bring a walking stick. I've managed light hiking in my tennis shoes; I know real hiking shoes would help, but having a walking stick is a great assistance in navigating the terrain and especially the stairs down to the waterfall. <BR><BR>Have a great trip!<BR>Tess, a &quot;Hardy&quot; traveller?