Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   La Casa Que Canta or Villa del Sol: Zihuatenjo (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/la-casa-que-canta-or-villa-del-sol-zihuatenjo-366907/)

lslp2000 Jan 8th, 2004 10:38 AM

La Casa Que Canta or Villa del Sol: Zihuatenjo

We are planning to stay at one of these places on our honeymoon in August...and are having a terrible time choosing. Does anyone prefer one over the other? Experiences. Many thanks.

actravelgirl Jan 9th, 2004 07:35 PM

la casa que canta hands down. wonderfully romantic and intimate. terrific service. we had dinner at villa del sol one night and it was nice, but you can't even compare. you won't regret it. enjoy...

txtree Jan 12th, 2004 11:46 AM

Don't know if this is helpful, but we were facing the same question a month ago and friends who stayed at la casa for their honeymoon urged us to stay at villa del sol instead. They thought is was a huge drag that la casa was not directly on the beach.

We are going to villa del sol in a few weeks. I will repost with any thoughts.

malnyc Jan 12th, 2004 01:31 PM

My husband and I stayed at Casa Que Canta last December and it was by far the most romantic vacation we have ever been on. It is such a special, quiet place. If you need action, this isn't your spot. We ate a couple of times at Villa del Sol and liked the feel of it very much. But if you are looking for a quiet place to connect with someone special-- Casa Que Canta is definitely it! (If you can swing a master pool suite, you barely have to leave your room!)

claire_david Jan 12th, 2004 04:08 PM

We had dinner at La Casa Que Canta while staying with a friend in Xtapa; managed a tour of a few of the rooms. It was spectacular, from the lobby to the food in the very romantic restaurant to the even more romantic rooms with balconies that felt more like private terraces. Like something out of a movie (actually, a Garcia/Ryan movie was filmed there).

SusanInToronto Jan 12th, 2004 04:24 PM

Haven't stayed in either place (way beyond my budget), but I thought that Casa que Canta looked amazing. Villa del Sol looked ok, but that was about it. I would vote for Casa Que Canta.

eileen Jan 13th, 2004 06:02 AM

As mentioned by a previous poster, "When a Man Loves a Woman" was filmed there. I rented it just to get a look at La Casa Que Canta (view of property from the water and pool scenes). Rent it and you will definitely decide to stay there! It's on my wish list.

eileen Jan 14th, 2004 06:17 AM

I am replying to you again because there is a recent review on tripadvisor.com (sorry to plug another site) from folks who went to Casa Que Canta and moved to Villa Del Sol after three days, you might want to read about their experience.

Samara Jan 15th, 2004 04:56 PM

In regards to the review posted on Tripavisor,
Out of every review,article, and conversations with several people who stayed at LCQC this is one of the only negative reviews written about the resort. Yes we know it is pricey, a lunch menu is not the dinner menu, so why be angry that you cannot get lunch at dinner? The hotel website as well as anywhere you read about the resort....definately states that it does not have immediate access to the beach....but the beach is not that far....Anyway, I am sure either resort is beautiful. However, there are many more negative reviews floating around about Villa Del Sol......everyone has there own taste and backrounds which affect their opinion..just research....choose...and enjoy.....

sparklegem Jan 15th, 2004 05:46 PM

We stayed at the Villa del Sol six years ago. The rooms, beach and restaurant were nice. We did not return because we felt that the other guest were very unfriendly. We were suprised that we were required to pay a very large "gratuity" at the end of our stay. The maids certainly deserved it but we felt the front desk people did not. We always tip at the restaurant and the maids and felt pressured to tip the staff who did seem to deserve it.