La Amistad International Park

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2006, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone been to La Amistad? If so, where did you stay? Guides available? Would welcome any info you have.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 03:31 PM

We stayed at Los Quetzales Lodge in the mountain chalets. It is in Panama. You are right in the park. It was the densest rainforest I have been in. The birds were great.
Old Sep 24th, 2006, 03:58 PM

http://www.losquetzales.com/

Friends of mine stay there frequently and love it.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 12:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot. It looks lovely. How did you get there from San Jose?
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 05:43 AM

Sorry,I can't help you with that. My friends have all come from Boquete or David to Los Quetzales. I am topping for some of the CR regulars to help you with that.
Old Sep 25th, 2006, 08:16 AM

If you can do it, stay in one of the cabins at Los Quetzales - #2 and #3 are best. Then you'll actually be nestled in the rainforest in the park. It's about a 25-45(?)minute drive in to the cabins from the lodge itself. (Or a nice hike without luggage). You could drive yourself back to either cabin (they're maybe 50 yds? apart but there's nothing ELSE there) but you'll need 4x4 with high clearance. We didn't even think our Terios would do it so had lodge drive us up and back. They do it in a truck with very high clearance and big tires. Cabins are rustic, though comfortable. Plumbing/running water, but no electricity. Lodge looks nice enough too though. And food was good at their restaurant - simple, reasonably priced. We had them bring dinner up to us one night and had a candlelight dinner party with our neighbors in cabin #3. We hiked around the "Las Nubes" area of the park itself also.
Beautiful country all around there. There are guides available, yes. I believe you get one easy walk with a guide for your lodging price. If the very charasmatic Abel is still there you'll enjoy him. He doesn't speak much English, but the most beautiful articulate Spanish. Highly entertaining fellow who works for the lodge. There are other local folks who have perhaps more knowledge of birds, etc that the lodge may be able to put you in touch with. I say may because it took some work on our part to get much info on how to do what in the surrounding area from the reception folks. (Perhaps due to language barrier, though we speak some Spanish.) So do your homework first about what you want to do and how to do it. We loved our two nights there - wish we'd had a couple more!