Reload this Page >

Montana del Fuego or Arenal Lodge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 03:45 PM
chloe

I am planning on spending either one or two night (depending on transportation schedules) in the Arenal area. I haven't read great things about Tabacon. Does anyone have any advice concerning choosing between Montana del Fuego or Arenal Lodge? I want a great view of Arenal, however, I also want to be convient to La Fortuna. We won't have a rental car with us, so either we need to rely on shuttles to and from the city or taxi cabs. If anyone has advice I would certianly appreciate it!<BR>Thanks,<BR>Chloe

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 08:24 PM
chloe

Ok, now I am even more confused. I thought that I wanted to stay in the Arenal area, but I just spoke with a friend who has spent some time in the area and he suggested that we stay in Fortuna (because restaurants, nightlife, etc. was better) and just go out to the Arenal area during the days. I know we want to try to go to the Fortuna waterfall, hotsprings, and a canopy tour in the area. So now I am confused about which option would be better for us!<BR>

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 05:27 AM
Tia

Chloe:<BR><BR>We stayed for four days in the Arenal area this past March and loved it. We stayed at the Arenal Lodge. It was very convenient to go into La Fortuna because they had a shuttle that went back and forth four times daily. It also stops at Tabacon so you can make a day trip to the hot springs. I thought Tabacon was highly over rated. I would never stay there, but others seem to like it. We were going for the more rustic setting I guess. I have heard good things about the other hotel you mentioned, too. The view we had was amazing! Undescribable. We saw the cone every day while others have said they have gone and didn't get to see the volcano let alone the cone! So I guess we were lucky. If you'd like specific info., just let me know or feel free to email.<BR><BR>Tia

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 09:23 PM
chloe

Thanks for the information. About how long was the ride from the Arenal Lodge into La Fortuna? Do you recommend that we stay in the Arenal area or in Fortuna? I've heard that the restaurants and night life was much better in Fortuna, however, I can't seem to find anyone on this board who has stayed there.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 06:11 AM
Tia

Chloe:<BR><BR>I can't say that La Fortuna is a hopping place and can't imagine there is too much night life! It seemed like pretty much a sleepy little town to me. From the Arenal Lodge it was about a 20 minute drive, maybe 30 into La Fortuna. It takes a while to get down the hill from the lodge to the main road..maybe ten minutes as you have to drive very slowly because of the winding road. I'd say it's a 20-30 minute ride total. It's maybe ten minutes to the Tabacon and hot springs from the lodge. The lodge offers a free shuttle, but we did take a cab back one night as we didn't feel like waiting around for the shuttle and that cost us $12 US. We also took a cab from Tabacon one night at maybe 8 p.m. or so to the lodge and that cost us $12. I'm assuming because of the hour of night it cost more. It was also a much nicer cab that the other we took. Local people also told us not to get into a cab unless it had a yellow triangle on it. We had lots of offers from other locals to drive us places, but we stuck to the cabs as we were warned not to get into other vehicles. I'm assuming they were just local people trying to make a quick cab fare. Personally, I would not stay in La Fortuna. It was a nice town and there are good places to eat, some shopping, a bakery (GOOD), and grocery, but I wanted to be near the volcano in more of a natural setting. I did see several places to stay in town, though. There are also a few outside of town, but closer than the lodge or Tabacon.<BR><BR>Tia

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 07:00 AM
Iza

Montana de Fuego is about half way between the town of La Fortuna and Arenal Lodge, so it should be more convenient to the town. It is also closer to the Tabacon hot springs than Arenal Lodge and should have better (closer/more direct) views of the volcano. I don't know however whether Montana de Fuego provides shuttle transportation to the town.<BR>I agree with Tia about not staying in La Fortuna. Either Arenal Lodge or Montana de Fuego would be better in my opinion.

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Tia

Chloe:<BR><BR>I agree with Iza!!<BR><BR>Tia

Old Dec 15th, 2002, 07:59 AM
LT

When we were there this summer, Montana did not provide shuttle to town but did provide shuttle to Tabacon springs. Montana is a nice place in a good location with a great view of the volcano.

Old Dec 16th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Dan

Just got back from C.R. and stayed at Los Lagos in Arenal. Montana (my 1st choice) was full. Los Lagos was very nice - hot spring pool w/ swim up bar was a treat. Very close to the Arenal, but it's been cloudy for weeks - no view. The road north around the lake has no pot holes, just 1,000,000,000,000 fox holes. Montana looked very nice from the road.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Tess

Up for Stacy. Tabacon Resort is an option, although you'll read pros &amp; cons about it on this forum. I think either Montana del Fuego or Los Lagos may be good choices. We only ate lunch at the restaurant @ Montana --- looks like the nicer rooms have great dead-on views of Arenal. As for Los Lagos, drove by it and looks nice from the front gate.<BR>

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Iza

One thing to keep in mind for all visiting the Arenal area: according to some studies Los Lagos, as well as Tabacon Hot Springs (NOT Tabacon Hotel) are in the direct path of any future lava and pyroclastic flow.<BR><BR>Here is a link to an article which identifies safe and less safe areas around Volcan Arenal (copy and paste link into the address area):<BR><BR>http://www.costaricaexpeditions.com/tripplan/arealert/

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 09:04 AM
Dan

Iza is right about Los Lagos close proximity to Arenal and the article is a shocker, but I'd say it's more dangerous driving from San Jose to Arenal than staying at one of those hotels.