Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Keeping Food and Valuables Safe on Costa Rica Beaches

Old Nov 4th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be heading to the beaches of Dominical, Manuel Antonio, and Uvita in April 2014. I am assuming that for valuables (money, credit cards, car keys) we will just bring them with us, put them in a dry bag and strap that around our waists so we don't leave them in the car or on the beach towel. Any other/better ideas?

Then--food. My plan was to bring lunch/snacks/drinks in a small cooler that could be put in a backpack. My concern is monkeys and birds. When we go camping at home, we have to be very careful due to the fact that there are ravens and squirrels that are capable of opening zippers, getting into bags, etc. Is this a problem on the beaches? If so, what have people found that works to keep the critters out of your lunch?

Thanks so much!
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 11:27 AM

Like you mentioned we use one of those waterproof bags and take cash and keys into the water with us. I think I would just leave credit cards in the room safe. Monkeys in Manuel Antonio will definitely steal your food. I'd just put it in something zippered and maybe cover it with your beach towel. You'll still need to keep an eye on it though; those monkeys are smart and also kleptomaniacs. I saw one steal glasses right off a little boy's face once and have also seen them steal someone's cell phone. You're not supposed to feed them, but people do, so they equate us with food and treats.
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 11:56 AM

If you have a car, then I would just leave the food in the car until you are ready to eat, then put the left overs away when you are finished. The monkeys are sneaky fellas, but I don't think they have learned to pick the locks on cars yet
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 12:13 PM

I don't like to bring a backpack of any sort with me. It isn't going to stop monkeys and might attract human thieves.

If you want to bring drinks and snacks I would just bring them in a plastic carry bag. If you want to leave them on a beach I'd take turns guarding them from monkeys. Or as mentioned leave in the car.

There is drinking water at the Manuel Antonio park beach.
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 12:21 PM

There's also a restaurant called Marlin pretty close to MA park if you want to eat at a nearby spot.
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

The backpack is just to haul the cooler etc around MA park in the morning and then head to the beach. Unless the walk to the beach is short, then I am happy to leave it in the car and get it after our tour.

Is there parking close to Dominicalita and Uvita beaches? I just don't want to hike back and forth over half a mile just to get snacks. And we will need all the water we can get--this trip includes children and accessible food and water makes for a much more pleasant beach experience!
Old Nov 4th, 2014, 06:40 PM

See here, this is a very useful product for valuables while swimming. I own a place on the Caribbean in MX and use this every time I go swimming in the ocean for keys, money, phone. I put the valuables inside one of the provided dry bags and then put that inside the 2 nd provided dry AG, then put that inside the pouch around my waist. Everything stays completely dry. I have even put my passport in it.

http://www.amazon.com/LOKSAK-Splashs...pr_product_top

It Is a LOKSAK Splashsak
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 05:51 AM

You will be able to park fairly close to the beaches in Dominical and Uvita. At some of them you will be able to view your car from the beach. You shouldn't have to worry about critters getting into your bag in that area. We used a cheap Styrofoam cooler from our rental house to have on the beach - nothing too exciting for anyone to steal unless they were hungry.