Just returned--willing to answer any questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I and our 2 daughters, 8 and 11, just returned from a fabulous trip to CR. We went to, and stayed at, Arenal/Tabacon Resort; Monteverde/Monteverde Lodge; Manuel Antonio/Tulemar Bungalows; and San Jose/Xandari. We also rented a 4x4 and drove everywhere. All the hotels were great! Instead of rehashing the same old info, in order to give back to this very helpful board, we are happy to answer any questions you may have! Fire away!
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 03:08 PM

Glad to hear you had a great trip. We are leaving in 3 weeks.

What was the driving like?
How was the bug/mosquito population in Arenal and MA?
Did you take the anti-malarials?

Thanks for your reply!
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 03:34 PM

Was Tabacon very crowded? Thanks, Joyce
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

tabacon was not crowded it all--in fact, nothing was crowded no matter where we went--everyone there said that rainy season is much quieter than dry season
Old Jun 24th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

1.we did not take the anti-malarials--I once took them for a trip to haiti and they gave me severe stomach cramps--I understand that they are not at all necessary for CR
2. the mosquitos weren't bad at all in arenal or manuel antonio--the only place they were bad was waiting at the beginning of the canopy tour at tabacon--otherwise no big deal at all
3. loved the driving--not scary at all--the drive from airport to arenal is curvy but not scary and some potholes etc but really no big deal at all--we really enjoyed driving around--can't really understand all the discussion on this board about the driving--it's simply not that big a deal--not good signage at all but if you ask for directions before you head out and then stop and ask when you are confused, it is relatively easy and fun--the people are really really nice and happy to help and we don't speak spanish and had no problems
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 03:47 AM

Since it is technically the rainy season - Did you find that you needed a 4WD? I am going in October and will be spending my time in MA, Arenal and La Paz Waterfalls. Which Canopy Tour do you suggest in MA and Arenal? Did you use Insect Repellant every day or was it not neccessary?
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 04:07 AM

Hi,Glad to hear you had a great trip!! What did you think of the hotels you stayed at? We were thinking of Tabacon & Tulemar as well.
Also how did you like Monteverde?

Thanks alot!
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 04:52 AM
Joe

How long did it take to drive from San Jose to Arenal??
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

1. you probably don't need a 4 wheel drive for MA, Arenal and La Paz--we probably didn't need one at all but enjoyed having an SUV b/c it was big and felt safer and could all luggage easily for the 4 of us w/o strategic packing etc--not a necessity but nice to have is my conclusion
2. we didn't do a canopy tour in MA but liked the one at Tabacon--the only thing is it is very short--only 3 zips and 2 rappels--we did this as our first one b/c my 11 year old was nervous--she loved it and we did a 16 zip one in Monteverde, Aventura Canopy, that was simply spectacular--be forewarned though, it is very high and the zips are very long--was thrilling though
3. absolutely loved both tabacon and tulemar--the grounds at tabacon are beautiful and the hot springs are amazing--look like the garden of eden and unlimited access is great--we went any time we had an extra half hour to kill
4. light sprayed off inspect repellant every day just b/c I hate the no seeums that bite your feet/ankles--would not classify mosquitos as a problem at all
5.loved monteverde but would not recommend it for one night only--we did 2 and it was great b/c takes a day to get into the whole feel etc--the cloud forest tour with a guide was a definite highlight of the entire trip--saw lots of great stuff
6. drive from san jose to arenal was about 2.5 hours of drive time--landed at 12:30pm, got out of car rental place at 2:30 pm and made it to tabacon by 5:30 with a stop for a drink on the way
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 05:43 AM

How rainy was it?
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 05:48 AM

Clarification -- I'm leaving this afternoon and will be in Arenal tomorrow. (Thanks for everyone's help on our planning!) We'll be traveling around the Nicoya Pennisula later. I've heard some people say that its "rainier than usual" -- more than sunshine in the morning, and a storm in the P.M.

What was your experience with the weather?
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 06:21 AM
lvk

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip. We are going in August with son(9) and daughter (11). I'd be interested in which activities the kids particularly enjoyed. We'll be in Arenal and MA areas.
We're definitely doing the zip lines. Also thinking of horseback riding, Hanging Bridges, Penas Blancas Safari float, volcano hikes. If you did any of these, I'd appreciate your opinion.

Any other kid-friendly advice is appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

Ellen, have a great trip!
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

1.it was not rainy at all--no rain at arenal--in MA we had one night of hard rain (approx 6pm till midnight)--and also had one morning of rain in MA from 9am to 11am--it got cloudy in afternoon in MA but didn't rain except for the one night--only thing rain prevented was going out to dinner one night b/c it was raining so hard and lightninging
2. kids activities--in arenal they loved the tabacon hot springs and the hanging bridges--they are both must dos--the canopy tour at tabacon was great but short--I personally think the waterfall at Fortuna is not worth the strenuous hike back up to see(even though I am in good shape)if you have ever seen any other big waterfall anywhere else although my view is not consistent with most others on this board--we thought the la paz waterfalls were much better-I don't think you are missing much by skipping fortuna falls-in MA, the kids liked the national park tour although a bit long, loved seeing all the monkeys at tulemar bungalows, liked the mangrove tour especially when the monkeys climbed on the boat which they apparently always do, loved playing in the pool at si como no, loved shopping for jewelry at the little shops outside MA park--all in all the kids loved it!
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 06:59 AM

Thanks so much for posting this. I thought my head was going to explode yesterday trying to figure out the sequence of our trip. You actually took the exact trip I am planning for my honeymoon in September.
Here are my questions:

1.)I can't decide if Tabacon Hotel is worth it. I hear you get a better view of the volcano in the other lodges, but I am really looking for more of a resort type atmosphere. What do you suggest?

2.) We are trying to decide between renting a car and taking drivers and flights. I don't want to argue on my honeymoon about getting lost, is this a possibility? (I speak Spanish, so I can ask directions) This is why we were not planning to rent a car, but if it is easier and cheaper... How much did it cost to rent the car?
Also, Can you tell me how long it took you to get from Arenal to Monteverde and Monteverde to MA, then MA back to San Jose?

3.) We would probably only be able to stay one night at Monteverde. Why do you think this would not be enough? We have 2 nights at Arenal and 4 at MA and 2 nights in SJ to do the Panacure river before getting back on the plane. (Although I might change that to the beginning of the trip instead) Where would you switch a day?

Sorry to ask so many questions!!!
Thanks!
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 07:36 AM
lvk

Thanks for your prompt response. But of course, now I have more questions!

MA Tour- Did you hire a guide, and if so, how much were you charged for your whole family? Was it worth it? How long did it take?

How long was the mangrove tour? Are there different companies you can book this with?

Did see the La Paz waterfalls on your way from SJ to Arenal, or as a day trip from SJ?

That's all for now. Thanks again! (bet you're sorry about that "Fire Away" statement)
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

1. we felt tabacon was worth every cent--beautiful resort while other nice hotels in area are not resorts--gorgous grounds--unlimited use of hot springs--for honeymoon, no question it's worth it--you can see the volcano great from there as well
2. you might argue about directions while driving but we loved the freedom of going where you want when you want--you have to call taxis if you don't have a car and then have them pick you up which either leaves you rushing to finish to meet the cab or killing time until it gets there--we really enjoyed driving and stopping at the sodas, stores,etc--that is something we love about vacations--the car was about $70/day including insurance and taxes for a 4x4 SUV--it is about 3 hours of driving from arenal to monteverde--about 4 hours from monteverde to MA and about 3 hours from MA to San Jose
3. don't think 1 night in monteverde is enough b/c it takes the entire morning to get there and you want to tour the cloud forest in the morning to get the most out of it--you need a few hours to relax after the drive and do some stuff in the area and then do the cloud forest next morning and another activity in afternoon and leave next morning--otherwise I don't think it's worth it--of course, all of this stuff is just my opinion
4. tour guide in MA was $120 for our family of 4--well worth it or wouldn't see anywhere near as much--hard to explain until you experience it--without a guide it's a walk through a pretty forest--with a guide you see tons of stuff
5. mangrove tour was lunch on floating restaurant and then 2 hours on the boat--kind of boring if you have seen mangroves before (we live in south florida) but the kids loved the monkeys jumping on the boat--also was very relaxing--without kids I probably wouldn't do it
6. did La Paz waterfalls and Poas volcano as day trip from Xandari which is in Alejuala, just outside San Jose and right by airport--Xandari is nothing short of spectacula and for honeymoon would definitely recommend it and request bungalow #20 if it is available
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 09:59 AM

keefmick: Thanks so much for your answers! This helps so much.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 10:08 AM

Keefmik (and everyone else)-- thanks so much for your desire to be helpful. I had been thinking of avoiding Tabacon (our trip will be in January) because I've read that it's crowded, plus very much like a nice motel and I wanted to feel like we were in a totally different environment. Did you happen to see the Observatory Lodge? Because this is an anniversary trip for us, I'd thought to stay at Makanda in MA. Did you happen to see the place? any opinion? We're hoping to stay at Xandari also. I'd heard that Ultra Villa #4 is the special one-- best view, most privacy, etc. Do you happen to know how that compares to your #10? Did you do any float/raft trips? Did anyone in your family get sick (diarrhea, etc.)? Thank you!!
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

I do not recall seeing the Observatory Lodge. I do not think you will be disappointed with Tabacon. We did not see Makanda but understand it to be very nice. We were told the nicest 4 hotels in MA were Makanda, Tulemar, Mariposa and The Mansion with Tulemar having the nicest grounds. At Xandari we did not see #4. We stayed in #18 and loved it. We heard that #20 is the honeymoon bungalow. It is 5 feet from the pool and has an A frame thatched roof. Very cool from the outside. Didn't see in. We did not do any raft/float trips. My 11 year old got diarreah for one day but doubt it was food related as she is picky eater and we ate way more than she did and had no problems. We ate the fruit, drank the water etc and had no problems. She didn't eat any fruit. She simply may have eaten too much junk or just gotten sick but I really don't believe it was the food.
Old Jun 25th, 2004, 10:59 AM

Was the volcano active and could you see it at night?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -