Reload this Page >

JUST GOT BACK FROM PLAYA DEL CARMEN VACATION

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 1998, 07:42 AM
JON

JUST GOT BACK FROM PLAYA DEL CARMEN. HAD A GREAT TIME. STAYED AT THE DIAMOND RESORT (ABOUT 1 MILE SOUTH OF TOWN). IF ANYONE HAS ANY QUESTIONS ABOUT THE AREA, WE'LL DO OUR BEST TO HELP OUT. ADIOS!

Old Mar 12th, 1998, 06:07 PM
Caresse

Hi, I will probably be spending a few days in Playa in June, before going on to Belize. I was there last spring
for a day trip when visiting Cancuun. I don't remember
how long of a bus trip it was to playa from Cancuun, do you
know? We would like to stay in Playa as it is much less
touristy, cheaper and I like the beaches better. How much
was your hotel per night? Were you happy with it? Is there
any restauraunts that really stuck out? Thanks

Old Mar 12th, 1998, 09:17 PM
Heidi

I'm leaving on Sunday morning for Cancun, and am also wondering if we should maybe go for a day to Playa. I'm thinking that it will probably be cheaper there for nicknacks and souvenirs, and if so, how long does it take to get there, and is it safe for two mid 20's women to go there on their own or should we take a tour there? Please let me know, asap (for obvious reasons)

Old Mar 13th, 1998, 06:30 AM
Jon

I would recommend taking a day trip to Playa. Less people, slower pace, plenty of things to do. Lots of shopping on 5th Ave.(restricted to pedestrian travel only).

Cheapest way would be by bus. Playa bus station is right on 5th Ave. I wouldn't be concerned about your safety unless you plan to stay late into the night.
Have fun. Try the La Choza restaurant for good Mexican food.(also 5th ave.)

Old Mar 13th, 1998, 04:02 PM
Jon

We were on an all inclusive plan so I'm not sure what the per night lodging cost was. There's quite a range of cost depending on what you want or need for amenities. We found our Fodors Travel guide to be very helpful when checking prices.
Two restaurants that we ate at were La Choza's and the Blue Lobster. Both very good!

Old Mar 16th, 1998, 05:12 PM
JK

Old Mar 21st, 1998, 02:43 PM
Linda

We are arriving in PDC on 03/28 and staying at the Riu Yucatan. Did you happen to see this hotel or meet up with anyone who stayed there. Gathering as much info on the hotel as I can before I leave.

Thanks.

Old Mar 28th, 1998, 02:59 PM
lizz

What did you think of the Diamond Resort? worth going if I am traveling solo?

Old Mar 30th, 1998, 06:55 AM
Jon

The Diamond is a nice resort. Relatively quiet and private. It certainly would be safe enough on a solo basis although the majority of guests are couples which is probably the case with most all-inclusive resorts.

Old Apr 2nd, 1998, 06:24 PM
Will

Howdy Jon !,

I'm taking a trip to the corridor, my wife and three children, so we were looking for an all inclusive. Our choices have come down to either Diamond Resort, or Royal Maeva. I would like to know your thoughts about the Diamond Resort itself, and if you got a chance to see, or hear something about the Maeva. I like the traditional food, but with the kids, and a baby, we have to compromise a bit, and we would like to be somewhat entertained,( particularly at night) on premise. Lastly, I understand there is a european flare for topless sunbathing...is this just at certain beaches, or at the hotel pool, beach...as well. I certainly don't mind the atmosphere, but with the kids I will try to be alittle careful of how much "culture" they take in at their age. Thanks for the help, and you can e-mail me personally if you find the time. Again Thanx !
Boy0

Old Apr 3rd, 1998, 06:46 AM
Doug

I stayed at the Royal Maeva with my wife and some friends about a year ago. The happy hut serves american food. Eggs, bacon, pancakes etc for breakfast and hot dogs, hamburgers etc for lunch. There is a Italian rest that serves pizza, pasta for dinner. I'm sure that the buffet will have something that the wife and kids can eat. The Entertainment at night wasn't anything special, but during the day there are many activities, volleyball, windsurfing, aerobics, snorkeling(free boat trip 3 times a day) and I can say that we were never bored. There are topless women and thong bikinis(10%25 as a guess), but not a lot on this stretch of beach. North of Playa and in town(50%25), If you don't make a big deal out of it you won't even notice after the first day. Go to the following site for alot of info about PDC. mayanriviera.com, try the forums section. Enjoy Your trip.

Old Apr 6th, 1998, 05:36 AM
Jon

Can't comment on the Royal Maeva because I've not been there or heard anything. The previous letter should help. The Diamond Resort sounds similar to the Maeva in that there are things to do (primarily water related) during the day. The only evening activities at the resort is the onsite sports bar (not much happening when we were there!) and the theater production that the resort puts on everynight at 9:30. One night is a caribbean dance troupe, one night is Phantom of the Opera, one night is Western skits. Lasts 1 hour and is entertaining but is not terribly exciting. The only other comment I can make is that there were not alot of children at the Diamond when we stayed there. Don't know if that is the case always?? The one thing we liked about the location is that it was a 5 minute cab drive to Playa del Carmen. Hope this info helps.

Old Apr 6th, 1998, 05:39 AM
Jon

Can't comment on the Royal Maeva because I've not been there or heard anything. The previous letter should help. The Diamond Resort sounds similar to the Maeva in that there are things to do (primarily water related) during the day. The only evening activities at the resort is the onsite sports bar (not much happening when we were there!) and the theater production that the resort puts on everynight at 9:30. One night is a caribbean dance troupe, one night is Phantom of the Opera, one night is Western skits. Lasts 1 hour and is entertaining but is not terribly exciting. The only other comment I can make is that there were not alot of children at the Diamond when we stayed there. Don't know if that is the case always?? The one thing we liked about the location is that it was a 5 minute cab drive to Playa del Carmen. Hope this info helps.