Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Just got back from C.R./Playa Conchal area. Any questions?

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 10:21 AM
juli

My boyfriend and I just got back from Costa Rica. We stayed at the Playa Conchal and did some tours and also visited Playa Flamingo, Tamarindo, and Brasalito. Any questions?

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 01:42 PM
gina

I would love to hear as much as you care to type!! What excursions did you go on and what did you think of the resort/ area around the resort. Also, impressions of rooms, food, service, etc.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 04:18 PM
Parrot Mom

Went to Melia Conchal a fewyears ago and really loved the resort..ifyour interested in pictures please write..

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 04:18 PM
Parrot Mom

Went to Melia Conchal a fewyears ago and really loved the resort..ifyour interested in pictures please write..

Old Apr 17th, 2001, 09:58 AM
juli

The resort was very nice. It was very big though. I think we made a good decision staying there for our first decision to Costa Rica. It was a nice home base while we were getting familiar with the area. The service was great. Our shower didn't work when we got there so we let them know that and it was fixed immediately. The food was very good. We got the meal plan which suited us perfectly. The staff is excellent. They are very friendly and more than willing to help you with anything that you need. We didn't rent a car which we definitely could have. The roads are fine to drive. (I have seen much worse) We booked most of our tours through the hotel. We did a 4 in 1 tour which took you to a resort near Buena Vista Hot springs. There you horse back ride to the springs for a mud bath and a nice soak, there we also did the canopy tour and had the option of a waterslide ride through the rain forest. That was a little intimidating so we opted out. We also did the ATV sunset tour which was very nice. You got to see some great beaches and wildlife and a nice sunset. We went on a sailing/snorkeling cruise that departed from Playa Flamingo (cute little town). The snorkeling is a little disappointing if you have ever done it anywhere else. It's almost like snorkeling in a lake. We ventured to Tamarindo for a day. My boyfriend surfed and then we walked around town and checked out a festival going on and had a great sunset dinner ride on the water in the heart of town. The last thing we did was a horse back ride through town and ending up on the beach near our hotel. This was great if you love to ride. We were galloping (yes full speed gallop) along the coastline. I felt like I was in a movie. It was very invigorating. Other than that we took a stroll through Brasalito and ate at the Golden Shrimp. (great food right on the beach) We spent the rest of the time by the mammoth pool sipping on great cocktails made by Salvador and Freddy Cruz and the old saying early to bed and early to rise really came into effect down there. We were usually in bed by 9:30 or 10 and up no later than 6:30. I know that sounds strange but we were not alone. Most of the people we met said the same thing. One word of advice. Use sunscreen. I am a sun worshipper and I came home with the worst sun poisoning/heat rash I have ever seen. I wasn't alone there either. It was hotter than heck down there. I hope this helps. Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Old Apr 18th, 2001, 01:13 PM
Kate

It sounds wonderful.
My boyfriend and I are planning to honeymoon in CR in October. We were not going to get a meal plan -- what kind of prices did you see for food? Do you think the meal plan was a good deal? Were there lots of reputable restaurants, or do you think that the meal plan is the only way to go?

We are going to spend a few days in Tamarindo (not right in town, but nearby) -- how many days do you think we need to spend there? Can we do tours from there? How far is it to Arenal from there?

Any advice is most appreciated!
Thanks!

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 09:14 AM
Juli

Kate,

Where the meal plan is concerned it all depends on where you want to stay. At the Melia it was worth it because they gave you seven breakfasts (which we ate everyday and skipped lunch) at their buffet and three dinners. The dinners were nice because the hotel had four restaurants to choose from and that way we were free to enjoy meals in other towns the other four nights. As far as Tamarindo is concerned you will be able to see the entire town in a day. I know that Iguana surf offers some tours and from what I hear the horseback riding is excellent there. I am sure you will be able to get most of your tours in the area. The Arenal volcano is a LONG 4+ hour drive (one way). We opted to skip it this time because we heard that it is difficult to see most of the volcano anyway. If you do decide on that tour I would make sure that you include a canopy tour or the Monteverde area as well so that you won't be totally disappointed with the drive if the volcano is hidden by the clouds. I really enjoyed Tamarindo. I think you will have a great time. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Juli