Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Just decided to go to CR-leaving in 7 days!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2004, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,
I'm planning a spontaneous, last minute trip to CR (having found a good fare - I think- on AA)and I need some help. Yes I've been doing research, but since I only have 7 days, I need some advice please.
I'll be travelling alone with one 24" suitcase on wheels (don't know if this is relevant for public transportation), no car, from Monday May 10 - Wednesday 19. I'd prefer accomodations that are within walking distance to restaurants/stores/bars, and have some comfort, for under $80/night.

Here's what I'd like to do:
- Monday: go directly to Arenal, stay at Arenal Paraiso for 2 nights (Can't find their phone number)
- Wed: travel to the Nicoya Peninsula on either Playa Samara, Tamarindo or Montezuma for 3 nights
- Sat: travel to Manuel Antonio, stay at Hotel Costa Verde (?) 3 nights
- Tues: travel back to San Jose, overnight stay at ?
- Wed: Fly out.

What I'd like to know is:
- Logistically, would I be better off going from SJ to the Nicoya Peninsula first, and then to Arenal and MA?
- Although I've read some negative reviews of Pl.Tamarindo (horse droppings on the beach, "young surf bums begging for money&quot, I'm considering staying there anyway since I'll be alone and on foot, and I'd like to meet people and have easy access to bars/restos/stores etc. Could I stay on Pl. Samara or Montezuma and still have the same perks with a nicer beach?
- If I take the bus/ferry from Arenal to Nicoya, will there be taxis there to take me to Samara/Tam? Any idea of the cost?
- Is Hotel Costa Verde within walking distance of the town?

I know I'm asking quite a lot, but I'd appreciate any information and insights I can get.

Thank you so much!!!
Old May 2nd, 2004, 04:33 PM

Hi Matisse,
Sounds like a great itinerary. The Paraiso at Arenal is a great place to stay. Taxis around this area should get you around just fine. Where you go first depends on what time you get in to San Jose. If it is early afternoon, you should go to Arenal first (shorter drive, about 3 hours). The drive from SJ to, for example, Tamarindo, will take about 5 hours and probably 4 hours to Manuel Antonio. You will want to restrict your driving to daylight hours--gets dark between 5:30 and 6:00--quite suddenly! Often there are animals, bicylers, and pedestrians on the road and these roads don't have shoulders! Of course, you won't be doing the driving, so this may not be a consideration.

There are some perils involved with traveling on the public buses with any luggage that you can't carry on with you and keep an eye on at all times. Many thefts take place with luggage that is under the bus unless you can stand right there and watch every time any luggage is unloaded. This is a huge problem and requires extra precautions.

Contrary to what many will tell you, Tamarindo is still quite a charming place. A lot of activity there. Montezuma is also very active, but harder to get to. One of the best ways to transfer between places (and much more secure) is Interbus. Costs about $30-$35 per transfer. But public buses can get you there as well for just a few bucks. Tamarindo is the easiest to get to of the places you mentioned.

I can't tell you anything about Costa Verde--haven't been there. Nor have I been to Playa Samara, only to Montezuma and Tamarindo.

Hope this helps. You are sure to hear from others who may have better suggestions based on their experiences. Bon Voyage!
Old May 3rd, 2004, 05:35 AM

Arenal Paraiso phones, addresses, email, and web site:
Tel506) 460-5333 Fax.(506) 460-5343

Apdo. Postal 84-4417
Fortuna, S.C.
Costa Rica

[email protected]

http://www.arenalparaiso.com/
Old May 3rd, 2004, 05:35 AM

Hey, their punctuation created a smiley face. Cool.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

Shillmac, thank you. I would not have thought that luggage theft on the buses would be such a serious consideration - yikes! I've been trying for years to pack light, but I just can't seem to do it. If I don't have the right shoes...

Rufus thanks for the phone number (and the smiley).
Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:30 PM

Matisse,
Yes, it is a big deal. In our travels to CR, we have spoken with several who have had stuff stolen. Probably 75% occurred on public buses. The culprits wait around at the bus stops solely for that reason. Exercise extreme caution! In fact, if it were I, the public bus would not be an option unless I could put everything on with me. Even backpacks stored overhead are at risk unless you can see them at all times and be close enough to get to them should the need arise.