Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Just back from Four Seasons, Costa Rica, will answer questions

Sep 7th, 2004, 02:54 AM
Original Poster

Just returned from this great resort after and extended stay, and happy to any questions.
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:19 AM

Ellene; How was the food? I have heard mixed reactions?Not up to FS standards? Great Exuma was medicore in April. Also, while the B&B rate is attractive by US standards FS dinners are usually very pricy, is that correct?Also, there are no good dining alternatives within 35-45 minutes which is not worth it to us?
Also,if you are an avid snorkeler, were you able to get a reasonably priced small group tour that took you to the north (I believe?) where there is very good snorkeling? Did you fly from San Jose or drive? If you drove is it a full 4 hours without stops and was the trip easy and were the sights worth it vs. flying?Are their ocen view rooms that are one's to put "on request"? Sorry for all the questions but we are considering a late March trip so this information will help us decide. Thanks.
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:23 AM

ttt
Sep 7th, 2004, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

We enjoyed the food, way better than Nevis. Costa Rica has a wide variety of local seafood and vegetables, so the availability of products is much better than in the Carribbean, where everything needs to be flown in. Entrees in the restaurants ranged 20-30 dollars, at dinner. At lunch in the low to mid teens. Breakfast buffet is about $20.00. There is a meal plan at $72 for adults, which we did not use.

I would strongly advise not flying into San Jose. We did, and due to a strike had to charter a plane because the Pan American Highway was blocked. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise because the highway is not a modern road, it is a two lane road, riddled with pot holes, which is why the 120 mile trip is scheduled for four hours.
There was no great snorkleing right at the hotel, I dive and the diving was good. Large variety of marine life, but not great coral. Visibility was about 50 feet. If you go, and dont want to spend the money on the excursions from the hotel, we chartered our own small (25') fishing boat from an independent who also offers snorkeling. ($350 for 4 hours)
As an FYI, March is verrrry hot. North of 100 degrees during the day, making it difficult to use the golf course(which is spectacular).

Because it is dry season, the rooms on the second floor should have ocean views, during green season, they are blocked by the trees and only the top floor has ocean views.

In order to dine off property, you do need to travel at least 35 minutes. It takes over 20 minutes just to get off of the property. An easier option would be to fine a small boat to take you to one of the neighboring beaches.(about 10 minutes away). The hotel does offer weekly shuttles into Playa Coco for a reasonable charge. There may be more frequent service when you are there.
It is a beautiful resort, way nicer than anything I have been to in the carribbean. They service is great, within in 3 days the hotel staff new all our names at the restaurants and pool. There are many great exucursions. Besides the canopy tour which is 1/2 hour from the hotel, the rest are at leat 1.5 hours away.

Let me know if you have other specific questions.

Sep 7th, 2004, 06:36 PM

Are any excursions getting you well into jungle to see more than a few varieties of birds and sloths? On a cruise on the Crystal Lines we stopped in Limon and took an o'k canopy tour. We want more than that. The 1.5 hours trip is fine if we really get into naure without the tourists. Unfortunately we are not into long walks at 63 years old with a weak back.Which 2 excursions make the top of your list. We will be there for 9 days/10 nights so 2 days off-site plus a 1 day charter makes sense to us.Thanks
Sep 8th, 2004, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

The two best offsite excursions are probably the adventure tour(canopy tour, nature walk, mudbath) and the corobici river float. Depending on when you go, the river float may be a little rough(especially rainy season) If you are there during dry season(which I think you are) it is supposedly relatively calm. Talk to Patty Needs, the head concierge. She is on the money with her recommendations. We did the palo verde national park, which was a boat ride down a river into a protected park. We say tons of different birds and alligators.

The scheduled excursions leave at 7:00 am, you may want to check into a private excursion which is not appreciably more, so you can leave when you want. The witch's rock canopy tour while fun, does not provide tons of bird watching options.
Sep 8th, 2004, 10:56 AM

Would you go again? How does this resort compare with your stays in other places/countries?
Sep 8th, 2004, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

I would go, but not for 10 days. I would spend a week seeing some of the rest of the country, and end up at this resort for 5 days. It is a spectacularly beautiful resort, and the staff is great, but it is very isolated. I would stay longer if they put a marina at the resort(something I believe they are planning), so access to other towns is easier.

The beach is beautiful, as are the pools.

In terms of other resorts, I found it nicer than the Four Seasons in Nevis, with better food and service, and a notch below the super high end resorts in cabo(such as Esperanza).
Sep 8th, 2004, 02:55 PM

Thanks, ellene!
Sep 8th, 2004, 05:51 PM

Ellene; Thanks for all the valuable information.
What about mosquito's even with "OFF" is it an issue on the canopy tour. My wife and I got 50+ bites on Roatan, Honduras in June. But, guess what? We loved Anthony's Key Resort even with the itching.
Sep 9th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

We did not have a mosquito problem, but we did use 30% deet spray on ourselves, and brought premetherin spray, which you soak your clohtes in. We did not have one bite the entire trip. We bought these items from travelmed.com.
Sep 9th, 2004, 01:16 PM

Also highly recommended is Ultrathon spray.