jungle lodge near Orange Walk in Belize

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2009, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me anything good or bad about Chan Chich lodge in Belize? Wondering if it is a good place to stay for 4 nights in August. Thanks!
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 08:56 AM

Only great things to say about CC, which is a destination in itself and perfect for birders and hikers. In remote jungle, horses, lagoon canoeing, mtn biking and guided hikes and birding. Great staff and mgmt.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Awesome, Thanks KV. Just two questions; is it possible to see ruins from here? Any safety concerns in the area around CC? Going back and forth between cayo district or CC/Orange Walk. Just don't know enough about Belize to know which...
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 10:55 AM

I believe there are some minor ruins that are part of the complex itself, plus you can get to others. Here's a detailed review of Chan Chich written by a guy who knows the country well.
http://www.luxurylatinamerica.com/be...han_chich.html
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 12:53 PM

You would visit Lamanai from CC. No safety issues. You would fly to and from CC. Many more impressive sites in the Cahyo district, including Tikal and Caracol, plus cave trips and other attractions, including villages.
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Will look there too, Any suggestions for accomodations? 4 of us - two teenagers. Love the idea of caving and the ATM tour but am concerned about visiting ruins in that area. Have the problems with bandits seased?
Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 10:06 AM

How adventurous are you? If you want a great jungle setting check out Macal River Jungle Camp www.belizecamp.com and Caves Branch Adventure Lodge www.cavesbranch.com
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Hopefulist, thanks. We are campers and Bpackers. I will check Caves Branch out. Hadn't thought about camping in Belize - first time in the jungle and have this weird urge to be up off the ground! Fear of the unknown, I guess.
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 12:05 PM

What makes both of the places I named great are you get wonderful jungle settings without giving up all comfort - both places have nice cabins or tent/cabins, nice eating facilities, friendly, helpful staff. They're not like camping really. Caves Branch offers amazing adventures, too, as you'll see on the website. Keep us posted!
Old Apr 24th, 2009, 10:33 AM

I stayed at Chan Chich and Lamanai Outpost Lodge earlier this year and posted a trip report http://www.fodors.com/community/mexi...ebmar-2009.cfm

To visit Lamanai from CC would require traveling 2 hours by road each way. There are ruins closer to CC but we didn't visit those and of course, the lodge itself is built on a mostly unexcavated site. CC also offers a one way road/river/road transfer from Belize City via Lamanai and I'd recommend doing this if you have time as the boat ride on the New River is a really unique part of the whole Lamanai experience.

You could also consider staying at Lamanai Outpost Lodge which offers a variety of water and land based activities. Again be sure to do the river transfer at least one way.
Old Apr 26th, 2009, 07:48 AM

Stacy,

Chan Chich is an amazing place. We had a blast in Feb 2007. You can view trip reports and pictures here (just click on the Belize link in the upper right)

http://www.focusedonnature.com/gallery/6360693_Qmm68

In my opinion, CC is more about wildlife and nature then about tours (and great food/jungle luxury). I am looking at their brochure now (we brought the whole packet home). They offer two ruin trips, one to Lamanai and one to Las Milpas. We didn't do either one since we went their for the wildlife.

So, if the kids aren't in to wildlife, CC may not be their thing.
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the information. Having a tough time deciding. Two of us want tons of wildlife and hiking, ala Chan Chich. Two of us want caving and zipline adventures!Probably have to stay in the Cayo for those things. We'll keep researching for now...