Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   June honeymoon in cabo san lucas (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/june-honeymoon-in-cabo-san-lucas-339312/)

Papsicle Apr 8th, 2008 08:16 AM

June honeymoon in cabo san lucas

Hi there,
I am getting married on 6/14, and we're thinking about honeymooning in Cabo San Lucas. I searched the message boards to learn from the experiences of others, but definitely wanted to just post and hear more thoughts and feedback on the trip. We'll have seven days out there, although there is some flexibility on that. Everyone raves about the Westin Regina so I can perhaps land a room there. Is it wiser to get a package deal (air, hotel, etc.) from an agent or travel web site..or to book things individually? Do you have any personal experience landing a great deal on a trip like this with a particular agency or site or business? I think we'd like to snorkel...and deep-sea fish...do you recommend particular outlets or locations so I can book in advance? Are there any more "must-do's" while out there? We are both very active and are up for adventurous things. Are sunset dinners worth it? What about whale watching? Jet-skiing? What about the weather in mid-June? Do I need to know anything about foods or drinks to avoid...or if I need to bring some items for comfort and convenience that won't be readily available there? Any advice on currency and money changing? What about shopping and bargaining? I'm really grateful for any advice you can provide...This is obviously really important to me...I really want this to be the first "trip of our lives." Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Bill_H Apr 8th, 2008 10:42 AM

Have been to Cabo many times and stayed at the Westin three times, it's a very nice place but in the 'corridor' between Cabo and San Jose. A bit removed from Cabo (which may be a good thing for you, depends on what you are after) and you'll need to hire a taxi or take their shuttle every time you go into town.

Usually we just book things separately, ie, airline tix, hotel, fishing etc. You can check prices and then see if a TA has a better package deal, but usually these are off-season promos and you don't see big discounts during the prime months.

<b>I think we'd like to snorkel...and deep-sea fish...do you recommend particular outlets or locations so I can book in advance?</b>

Some earlier threads on marlin fishing, enter 'cabo marlin' or something like that in the search box. Pisces is one we've used often. You can set up the snorkeling easily once you're there.

<b>Are sunset dinners worth it?</b>

Some are the infamous &quot;booze cruise&quot; trips with free drinks and drunken louts, others are more relaxed and less silly. Check around ...

<b>What about whale watching? </b>

The Cabo whales are in Alaska in June so anyone trying to sell you a whale-watching trip is a crook.

<b>What about the weather in mid-June?</b>

Hot and dry ... good time to be there.

MichelleY Apr 8th, 2008 02:53 PM

Dear Papsicle:

Congrats!!

We just got back from Cabo. We have stayed on the corridor and out at Pueblo Bonito Sunset Beach. We love SB and any of the PB hotels. PB has two resorts in Cabo San Lucas proper. Sunset Beach and their adult only Pacifica are on the Pacific side, away from the hub-bub of CSL.

For a honeymoon, I think the PB Pacifica resort would be great. Check out the reviews on Tripadvisor. There is also a very active forum there for Cabo fans. Lots of info to answer your questions.

We have snorkled, but it was very cold (Feb). June may be better. We also went on the Pez Gato cruise and thought is was great. We mostly just hang around the pool or go to Medano Beach in CSL. Eat, drink and shop for junk.

Good luck and have fun,

MY

MichelleY Apr 8th, 2008 02:59 PM

Pap:

I topped our trip report for you.

MY

Papsicle Apr 9th, 2008 07:09 PM

Hello all,
Thanks so much for the detailed feedback. I searched for &quot;cabo marlin&quot; and learned a great deal more. I appreciate the advice. Michelle, I have no idea what you mean by you topping your trip report...and tried to find it but failed. Please let me know what to do....

MichelleY Apr 9th, 2008 09:09 PM

Topping means bringing an old post back up to the top/most recent. Click on my name and you will see my resent posts. Scroll down my list and you will see my family trip to Cabo.

I will also top it again.

MY

Bill_H Apr 10th, 2008 03:26 PM

<b>Everyone raves about the Westin Regina so I can perhaps land a room there</b>

BTW here is a Mexico photo site my wife compiled that was one of the most popular albums on PBase for several weeks. Most of the shots were taken at the Westin, to give you an idea of the striking architecture at that resort:

http://www.pbase.com/hilton_photography/color_mx

Bill

blondiepopo Apr 21st, 2008 03:23 PM

I own a timshare at Emerald Bay - Pueblo Bonito in Mazatlan.I´m thinking of going to Cabo next year. Looks like from the info that Pueblo Bonito Rose is the only one of P.B. resorts in Cabo with a kitchen? Is this true?

MichelleY Apr 21st, 2008 03:36 PM

Dear Blondie:

We own at Sunset Beach, 1 bed, 2 bath. The kitchen is downsized: smaller fridge, 2 burner stove, no oven, micro-wave. I figure they don't provide too many goodies so you will use their restaurants. I have also stayed once at Blanco: it had basically the same set up.

The larger, 2 bed units(presidential), have more kitchen amenities.

MY