Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Jaguar Paw/Sunbreeze (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/jaguar-paw-sunbreeze-332083/)

patbro Jun 29th, 2003 05:38 AM

Jaguar Paw/Sunbreeze

We are going to Belize in October and are thinking about staying at Jaguar Paw Resort in Cayo and Sunbreeze on Ambergris. Any thoughts?

fluffnfold Jun 30th, 2003 08:50 AM

I debated about staying at Jaguar Paw during my visit last March, and was glad that I chose not to. Instead, we only visited it as part of our cave tubing excursion. The grounds were nice, but it was REALLY isolated. If you plan to stay there, you will probably need to eat all your meals at the lodge. Lunch was included in our excursion, and the food was quite good, but I think after several days of the same choices, I would have been bored. The pool area is small but pretty. I did see a large boa constrictor near the pool eating another snake, yet another reason why I was glad that I didn't stay there. It was just too rustic for me. The lodgings are rather hidden in the foliage, and I would have been terrified of walking back to my room in total darkness. It just depends on what you are looking for and how rustic/secluded you would like to be.

patbro Jun 30th, 2003 12:52 PM

Hi fluff! I really appreciate your thoughts. I will think on it a bit.

LanSluder Jul 6th, 2003 08:10 AM

Jaguar Paw is definitely NOT rustic. The rooms are air-conditioned (one of the only two A/C jungle lodges in Belize) and if anything are a bit over the top -- each room is in a different style of design (African, John Wayne, seaside, etc.) It is a a little off the beaten path, a few miles on a dirt road off the Western Highway, but then what do you expect in a jungle lodge? There are many other choices that are REALLY rustic and secluded.

--Lan Sluder

2jacks Jul 6th, 2003 07:52 PM

We stumbled onto Jaguar Paw on one of our last nights in Belize some years ago. The few kms. into the resort to drive were fairly tough driving but I must say that I loved the resort and the owners were incredibly courteous, and I highly recommend it.

I would recommend it over Ambergris if you want to see the jungle and experience something a bit different than the typical resort area.

We did encounter some interesting things there, it was raining heavily and we trekked through the jungle to the start of the the caving. After trekking for a bit, we had to slide down about an 8 ft. embankment to the river's start. Unfortunately, it was teaming with biting ants.

So, what do we do? Head back after our trek or just take the chance, we took the chance, slid down the hillside, and dived into the river to get rid of the ants.

As much as we were bruised and bitten after that little experience, we had a wonderful time tubing through the caves, a great meal that night and have had many hours of fun reminicsing about it. Many Many laughs.

We still keep in touch with the owners who are really nice people who have tried and exceeded in establishing a resort that is well worth the visit.

I guess it depends on what you want?

Jaguar Paw is definately a superior place to stay. Not at all rustic. There are places in Belize that are, no electricity, bed bugs (yuck).

This place is worth a visit.