Iza or anyone, help on last nights of trip!

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Kathy

Iza or anyone, help on last nights of trip!

We are leaving tomorrow. We arrive in San Jose late tomorrow night and the following morning will fly down to La Paloma Lodge in Drake Bay for 4 nights. Then we fly on to Manuel Antonio for 4 nights. We will shuttle back to San Jose and have 4 nights remaining. Some of the options I considered are 2 nights in Tortuguero at the Laguna or Mawamba Lodge or go to Arenal for a couple of nights and also maybe fit some rafting in on the Pacuare River or go to Capitan Suizo at Tamarindo. Please, your input is appreciated. However, I only have 24 hours left to receive your input. Thank you.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 01:45 PM
Ally

Well...I'll chime in.
I don't know why you have to shuttle back to San Jose, but in any case, it if it were me...I'd go to Arenal a couple nights and do a day trip rafting on the river. Arenal really should not be missed, even if you can't see the cone, the springs are beautiful, as is the waterfall.! I don't know anything about the trip to Tortuguero, and as much as I LOVE Capitan Suizo, you'll have already spent 4 nights at the beach in Drake Bay, and 4 nights at the beach in MA. Tamarindo will be SO far to drive for such a short time. Just my two cents. Hope you hear from Iza~

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 02:27 PM
Terri

O.k. - I'll throw in my 2 cents too. I agree with Ally - sounds like you've planned for plenty of coastal time, so I would spend 2 nights near Arenal and 2 nights at Xandari. (You can actually arrange your Pacuare rafting through Xandari.) I would also highly recommend not rafting the day before you fly home. (You'll be exhausted.)

Please let us know how you like your visit to La Paloma. My son and I are going next May.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 07:05 PM
Kathy

Dear Ally,
Is there a more direct way to Arenal than through San Jose? And regarding river rafting, would I not need to do that out of San Jose? Have you rafted the Pacuare, and if so, how challenging was it? Where would you recommend in Arenal?
Dear Terri,
How far is the Pacuare from Xandari and what has your experience been with rafting?
I look forward to your ASAP replies. Thank you so much.
Kathy

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 07:12 AM
Ally

Hi Kathy,
I just meant that you don't need to go all the way back through San Jose to get from Manuel Antonio to La Fortuna. But, yes, if you are going to do the rafting trip, you should be in San Jose or Alajuela. Previous poster suggest not rafting on your last day, so maybe go to La Fortuna for 2 nights, then back to San Jose/Alajuela for the last 2 nights..rafting on your first day there. I'm not the best person to ask about where to stay near Arenal, as I've not been to that area in 4-5 years! Good luck!

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Kathy

We are leaving for the airport in 30 minutes. I should be repacking right now as I have exceeded the 25 lbs. allowed per person on SANSA! My suitcase weighs 12 lbs.! Thank you all for your help. Adios, Kathy

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 01:22 PM
Terri

Hi Kathy,
You're probably on your way by now, but in the event you check Fodors while in Costa Rica, I'll respond to your question (as best as I can).
You could raft from Arenal on the Sarapiqui, but I believe the Pacuare may be too far. The Sarapiqui is about 2 hours from Arenal. If you're interested, you might check with Aventuras Arenal (we did the Cano Negro tour thru them which was FABULOUS!). We rafted the Sarapiqui (Class III), not the Pacuare (Class IV). I know that Xandari can arrange for you to raft the Pacuare because they did that for other guests when we stayed there. Everyone I have to talked to who has rafted the Pacuare loved it. I believe the Pacuare is 2 hours from Xandari. Rafting is one the funnest experiences I've ever had, but be prepared to work hard.

We stayed in Fortuna during our visit to Arenal because we did not have a rental car. I would recommend staying west of Fortuna near the active side of Arenal. I've heard good things about Arenal Lodge and Montana de Fuego.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Iza

Kathy, sorry I did not respond but August is our time to travel - we just returned from 2 weeks on Kauai (enjoyed ourselves but Costa Rica is better!).
Hope you had a great trip - please post a trip report when you return.