Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Ixtapa/Zihuatenjo (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/ixtapa-zihuatenjo-24409/)

Greg Apr 11th, 1998 10:54 AM

Ixtapa/Zihuatenjo

Leaving for Zihaut/Ixtapa this next weekend (4-18). Staying at Villa del Sol. Any info on restaurants (both inexpensive and nice, romantic), Villa del Sol - is it as nice as we've been told ?, places to see, etc. would really be appreciated. Also, any info on best way to take a side trip to Acapulco for a day (fly, bus, ?). Thanks for the info.

Kat Apr 13th, 1998 06:06 AM

Villa del Sol is quite nice, right on the best beach (Playa la Ropa) in the area. Breakfast at Villa del Sol is lovely. For lunch, choose from among many beachside eateries. Or, stay at Villa del Sol where they'll set up a table for you on the beach (with tablecloth!) and bring you selections from a good menu. For dinner, the best place in town is La Casa Que Canta. They make a great rum punch at Casa (or, in the local lingo, ron ponch). You'll need to make reservations. Best time to go is just before sunset as the terrace restaurant looks out over the bay and town . . . as the lights begin to come on around town, the effect is magical. In town proper Coconuts is wonderful . . . terrific cuisine and the margaritas are delicious. I didn't explore Ixtapa much . . . that area wasn't to my liking. Zijuatanejo, however, is just about perfect!

rusty Apr 13th, 1998 07:47 PM

Just returned from Ixtapa-Zihua and found it nice but small. Do not be content with Del Sol snd Coconuts. They are to Touristy, go down an the Malecon and pick out a place,order seafood and have a great time. I would stay out of Ixtapa unless you want to spent you vacation in Little America. Next time do what I am going do and go to a really great place, go to Puerto Vallarta.

Darlene Spears Apr 16th, 1998 11:28 AM

Hi, I recomend a day trip to Las Gates, just go to the pier and buy a boat ticket to cross.( 20 pesos)
Eat at Franco's place (the last one down on the beach) he will treat you right.Love that place.

Abby May 12th, 1998 06:50 PM

Greg,
I am headed to Villa Del Sol in the middle of June and am wondering what you thought? Fill me in on the tips... restaurants, shopping, activities, the hotel itself, and anything else you can offer advice on! I am really excited... It's our honeymoon, and we are hoping that we made the right decision (on the location of course!)! Let me know what you thought of it! Please and thank you for your tips in advance!

Cathy May 13th, 1998 09:58 AM

Hi, since you just got back from Zihua, could you tell me if you think that a woman travelling alone there would be threatened? I mean, feel threatened, in your opinion? Did you see any women alone?? Thanks for your response! I spent a week in Ixtapa once by myself about ten years ago, and it looked like it just wasn't done at that time. I didn't have any serious problems though.