Ixtapa and surrounding area

Old Feb 17th, 2015, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ixtapa and surrounding area

We are soon to hopefully escape the Chicago winter by spending a week at the Krystal Hotel in Ixtapa, Mexico. We are experienced European travelers but really out of our element in Mexico. I guess the question is simply what to do; we are NOT beach people. Thought we might go over to Zihuatanejo. Is it far? Is it accessible by bus or taxi? Are the taxi's expensive and do you usually tip? Dumb question follows: We are not particularly fond of Mexican food - will we have alternatives or should we just shut up and make the best of it?
Are there things to do in the general area? We really need help with this trip. Anything as such will be GREATLY appreciated.

Richard and Mary Shaw
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 06:50 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Zihua is not far, easily accessible by either taxi or bus. Maybe 15 minutes or so depending on traffic, and where you are leaving from and where in Zihua you are going. The taxi fare should be in the $5-$7 range. You do not need to tip unless your driver does something like carry shopping bags and such. If so, $10 pesos is plenty. If you hail a taxi on the street, ask the fare beforehand, if you can express yourself sufficiently in Spanish. If your hotel calls a taxi for you, expect to pay a little more, maybe 5-10 pesos.
As far as food goes, (and no, that's not a dumb question), no worries. You'll find mostly seafood, plenty of pizza, Italian, burgers, and so on. But don't rule out some Mexican fare, many of the flavors and sauces will be nothing like what you've experienced in the states.
I get the feeling this might be your first trip to Mexico? There isn't that much to do (other than surf or more beach time) in the immediate area; you're probably looking at an overnight to someplace like Patzcuaro and/or Uruapan, the latter being closer, but the former more attractive. Patz is a charming Colonial town within a 4 hour drive.
Old Feb 18th, 2015, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Very helpful. Thank you.

Richard and Mary Shaw
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 04:39 AM

Some of the places with non Mexican dishes are Memos, Daniels, Marina Cafe & the best (IMO) seafood El Manglar.
Also higher end Coconuts & others.
Old Feb 23rd, 2015, 04:41 AM

PS 30 years ago before my first Mexican adventure I thought Mexican food was not for me but now find it my favorite.