Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   I've reserved Ecotermales; should I switch to Tabacon since I have three kids? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/ive-reserved-ecotermales-should-i-switch-to-tabacon-since-i-have-three-kids-596737/)

missypie Mar 6th, 2006 06:21 AM

I've reserved Ecotermales; should I switch to Tabacon since I have three kids?

Due to reports on this board, I've booked an evening and dinner at Ecotermales. Yesterday, a lady at church was telling me that we just HAD to go to Tabacon. I started thinking that maybe I was being a bit selfish, and that my kids(15, 13 and 10) probably WOULD enjoy Tabacon more than Ecotermales (given Tabacon's "Disney" quality and all). What do you think?

fiveholmes Mar 6th, 2006 06:25 AM

I'm in the same situation. I have three kids 16, 14, 9 and have booked a day at Tabacon. Because of the crowds etc, we plan to go in the morning and then later again if we want more!

sandyc Mar 6th, 2006 07:55 AM

My son enjoyed Tabacon. He particularly liked the swimming pool with the slide. Even though it's gotten old for me, it's something that I think is worth seeing if you haven't seen it before. The hot springs there are really beautiful. I just don't care for the hotel or restaurant. I've brought groups there many times and they're always excited when they first go in, but it's something you get bored with quickly. The springs are very hot, so you can only stay in them so long. You don't really need a whole lot of time there. Two or three hours is plenty to soak up the scenery.

Sandy

Sandy

Earthtraveler Mar 6th, 2006 08:36 AM

There are cool pools also at Tabacon for when you need a break from the steam.

Haydee Mar 7th, 2006 03:57 AM

Missypie
I went to Ecotermales in January. The place was under reconstruction. I went with two boys 17 and 20 and after two hours they want to quit. I donīt know Tabacon but always we passed by was full of cars. In Ecotermales we were practically alone. Good Luck

eveningcrane Mar 7th, 2006 06:06 AM

This is just a FYI post regarding Tabacon, as it is in a high danger zone for volcanic eruptions; one should at least be aware. See

http://www.arenal.net/tabacon/hot-springs.htm

I have read the above warnings and I personally would still probablly go to Tabacon, (especially if the only alternative was Baldi), but now hearing about Ecotermales, it sounds as if it is more like Tabacon without the risk, a good option to think about.

rickandpat Mar 7th, 2006 07:19 AM

We were just at Ecotermales for an evening. We enjoyed it but it was very quiet and low-key when we were there - just right for adults. Had we travelled with our two teens, we probably would have visited Tabacon for the greater number and variety of pools. But I'm sure our kids would have been happy with either place.

missypie Mar 7th, 2006 07:19 AM

Yes, I've read about the volcano risk. That is why I didn't consider staying there, and initially didn't consider going there.

CorinneandPat Mar 7th, 2006 01:37 PM

If you wander off into the gardens at Tabacon, past the pool and slides and loud music, there are some nice, quiet pools the adults will enjoy.

dpruitt Mar 8th, 2006 07:11 AM

May I ask how you booked there? Do they have a website or a phone number/email?

Thanks so much! :)

fiveholmes Mar 8th, 2006 07:28 AM

Email [email protected] and they will fax you a reservation request.

doreenwol Mar 15th, 2006 04:00 PM

Missypie & Fiveholmes,
We are taking our kids (15,12,10)to Costa Rica in April and would love to hear about your highs and lows!
We chose Arenal, Manuel Antonio and the hightlight tour out of San Jose to Sarapique. I can't wait! Any good info you could pass on would be greatly appreciated!
I'm hoping you write a trip report highlighting the kids!
Doreen