Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

I've got everything booked but I'm over budget and taking donations. ;-)

Old Mar 8th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Ok, peeps I bit off a bit more than I could chew...but I'm stubborn and what's done is done. Please add any suggestions, sites, eats, things to do (especially free things)! I'm not booking anything ahead of time in the way of activities this go 'round, just looking for input.

1/n - Probably in City - Interbus pick up the next morning
3/n - Puerto Viejo (Cahuita /maybe chocolate tour; Jaguar rescue/Punta Uva and Maxi's)
2/n - Tortuguero with Fran and Modesto (canal tours, night hike and kayak)
3/n - Montezuma (Curu/Tortuga Island combo; waterfall hike/swim; explore grounds and beaches)
4/n - Drake Bay (Cano Island snorkel/dive; Corcovado hike; night hike with bug lady; river/ocean kayak...maybe whales or mangroves)
4/n - Puerto Jimenez (animal sanctuary; night tour on our own; birding with Carlos; hike to falls and beaches and more hiking; Friday market)
1/n - Probably Casa Bella Rita or Orquideas Inn for last night (shopping before we head there)

Thanks!
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 04:36 PM

Join the club, dear! If we make any extra $$ from selling pencils on street corners, I'll share it with you when we meet up.

Nice to have it all booked, huh? At least we've got Fran and Modesto taken care of, thanks to you!

I'm thinking we may try to do an overnight at Tirimbina (not so far from Rancho) as well. A fodor friend just returned (cattails) and she said it was a cool $68 per night. Not bad for a great property.
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 04:52 PM

Oh I am a founding member of this club ha ha. I get the trip planned out then fuss over the money. K did you ever figure out what to do re Drake to PJ? I bet as it gets closer, if those seats are empty they may open up for less money.

I skipped the Tortuga trip when I was in Mal Pais, was kind of spendy for a day at the beach.

Will you arrive at a time you can do the Sanctuary the morning on arrival? That would save a little.

Did you know Plum is arriving in SJO the day after I leave for Puerto Jimenez? Hmph!
Old Mar 8th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Ok, shillmac - Take lots of pencils (I know you know where to steal them) wink-wink. Really excited to see you two again, especially for such a great time on the canals! Are you guys going to rent a car at all when you're there?

tully -- I think we'll just do the drive from Drake to PJ, but I'll keep checking to see if Loco opens up. All other tix are purchased (thanks for the heads up on the Loco fares). Will prolly do the animal sanctuary that morning or the morning we leave for SJO since our flight is 12:45 out of PJ. From Montezuma there are some combo tours (Tortuga/Curu) that don't seem too bad price wise...but I'm gonna wait until I get there to decide. If the water's too churned up to go snorkeling might give it a pass and go horseback riding or something. We might take the bus to Mal Pais for lunch or something too.

I can't believe you and plum are just missing each other by a day! Apparently, he didn't check with you first? ;-)
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 08:11 AM

I feel your pain
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 09:05 AM

Check out Ylang Ylang for me - oh, and Casa Bella Rita too!
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 12:46 PM

Hip,when will you be at Ylang Ylang?
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Will do vgirl! Not sure about CBR yet but will post back for sure.

crlover - We'll be getting to Ylang Ylang on July 1st and can't wait! Sounds like you'll be there late July...?
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 04:46 PM

Now that is an EPIC trip! Wow. Sounds fun. I'm so envious about the bug lady tour -- totally on my radar.

Yeah, so tully and I will miss each other in San Jose, and then she'll be on the Osa while we're in Uvita -- so close, yet so far. To be clear, I had my tickets first! tully didn't check with ME. We'll definitely coordinate something next time (wasn't I saying this a year and a half ago?)...

volcanogirl, I'm staying at CBR first and last, so I'll take notes too (though they just came in #10 of b&bs in the WORLD on TA -- so I think it'll be acceptable).
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Ummm, no one has offered up donations except shillmac. LOL!

plumboy - my friend already has me committed to some sort of trip next year for her daughter's graduation so you're right...there's always next time! ;-)
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 06:13 PM

plum, I can't wait to hear what you think!
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 09:08 PM

Go to La Selva. It is AMAZING, has good food, nice rooms, etc. I stayed there when I studied abroad 2 years ago. Good tip: talk to people in the dining room and they might take you out in the forest where they're researching and give you a private tour with tons of information. Lots cheaper. LOTS more interesting than hiring someone. Cabs from the ranger station are cheap. Just keep your wits about you. random people claim to be cabs. Just negotiate a fare ahead of time.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

bluerain - Sarapaqui is definitely a beautiful area with lots to explore. I can't make it there this time but thanks for the suggestion! I'm really looking for input around the areas mentioned above (the two that are new for me are Montezuma and Drake Bay).

Thanks again!
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 01:02 PM

Hi Hip,
Check out Cafe des Artistes in Montezuma for a great lunch/drink. The tables are right on the beach and you can slide your toes through the sand while sipping a cold one...heaven! And don't forget to bring your famous Fodorite daughter to the waterfalls-you will both love it. We spent 1/2 day there just swimming in the cool pools of water and watching the crazy ticos jump into the water from rocks that were dangerously high up.
Also, when you are at Ylang Ylang, Playa Grande is approximately a 20 minute walk to the north along the beach. It is better for swimming than right in front of the hotel. Before you reach Playa Grande, you will arrive at some incredible fresh water pools (right by the stone sculptures)and you can just sit in them and chill right out.And speaking of swimming, you and your daughter will LOVE the pool with the waterfall. It is surrounded by bamboo and trees and the monkeys like to come and visit around 3:00. One very assertive monkey hurled a coconut at my head and just missed me. Another one I met on my way to the restaurant started banging an empty water bottle against the bamboo and giving me an evil eye. You will see both capuchins and howlers there. There is also a massive iguana (we called him el grande) that sometimes likes to bask by the pool. He was the size of an alligator, no kidding!
You will meet some wonderful folks there. Mario will be the one that will drive you from El Sano Banano to Ylang Ylang. He is an amazing person, so kind. Please if you remember, tell him Sandy and John send their love and will see him end of July. Also, Patricia at the restaurant is wonderful. These people all seem so happy to be working for YY and it really creates a positive vibe at the resort.
Wish I was meeting up with you but looks like we are missing eachother by one month.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

THANK YOU for all the great tips! Now I really do wish we had a couple more nights there. Another place I'll just have to return to I guess. Now I'm not even sure we'll make it to Curu with all the goodness nearby! I'll watch out for the coconut throwers - NAUGHTY!

Can you walk along the beach to get to town? Bikes? Is Cafe des Artistes (I've hear wonderful things about it) on the beach as you walk from YY or do you have to go to town and walk down to the beach? Glad to hear the staff seems happy and welcoming.
Old Mar 10th, 2010, 01:56 PM

Hip, it is a 10 minute walk along the beach to Montezuma from Ylang Ylang. To get to Cafe des Artistes you walk right through town (which is basically on the beach) to the other side (3 minutes!)and continue along the beach up the hill for around 10 minutes. I believe it is right across the street from Los Mangos hotel. Didn't see a lot of bike riders there (it was just too hot I think), but Ylang Ylang will certainly be able to help you out with that.
I have now been home over 2 weeks, and I am definitely going through withdrawal. Costa Rica is all I can think about....
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 05:16 PM

hipvirgochick -

When's your trip? We're leaving on July 20th - August 5. Our 15 year old daughter is doing a 15 day adventure camp and we're flying with her and then taking off on our own. Iguana Lodge, Bosque del Cabo, Banana Azul, Laguna Lodge, Selva Verde - and in SJ in between places - Orchideas, Casa Bella Rita, Villa Romantica. Everything's almost booked, just figuring out shuttle and private driver info now. Have fun!
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 07:08 PM

hipvirgochick:

I need your mailing address or the name of your Bank........ so I can either mail you a cheque or wire you some $$$
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

costaricalover - Thank you so much for the great tips. It sounds like we'll absolutely love it there!

hopvac - Wow! Too bad we're leaving (me and 13 yr old daughter) on June 25
Old Mar 11th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

returning July 13th but staying at many of the same places as you. Banana Azul, Laguna Lodge, Bosque del Cabo. Thought about Iguana Lodge but decided to go to Drake Bay and Aguila de Osa instead this trip. Ylang Ylang, Casa Bella Rita and another for 1st night. Sounds like we both have great trips planned!

Percy - I haven't seen much of you on the board lately. How have you been? I'll PM you my bank account and routing number. ;-)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO