Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Itinerary/travel advice needed for October travel...between south Carribean (Puerto Viejo), Manuel Antonio, and Peace Lodge (SJO area)?

Search

Itinerary/travel advice needed for October travel...between south Carribean (Puerto Viejo), Manuel Antonio, and Peace Lodge (SJO area)?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need logistical help on this one! We are starting off in Puerto Viejo on the southern Caribean coast for my honeymoon in October. After that we are not sure if it makes more sense logistically to then go to Peace Lodge and then go to Manuel Antonio...ending with a night near SJO airport? Or...from south Carribean heading straight to Manuel Antonio some how and then ending at the Peace Lodge?
Please help if you can...thanks!
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

By the way...I don't know if this makes a difference...but our methods of travel between locations will be either private driver or flying.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 04:05 AM

I would go PV, back to SJO to catch a flight to Quepos, then fly back to SJO and off to PL. That way you don't burn up a night in SJO that you could've spent somewhere else. As long as your flight isn't at the crack of dawn, you'll have no problems staying at PL the night before your flight home. Have a great time.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 09:10 AM

tully, I'm just wondering if misha could get from Puerto Viejo to the airport (Nature Air or Sansa) in time to catch a flight to Quepos. Of course, I haven't checked their flight schedule for October, but am thinking morning flights would hold a huge advantage over afternoon ones that time of year!

If this looks to be a problem, I'd recommend Peace Lodge in the middle, breaking up the 2 beach locations. If they are departing in the afternoon, they could probably drive in from MA the morning of (depending on flight times of course). Just a thought.

Drive times, Misha, would be:

Puerto Viejo to San Jose, 4 hours, maybe a bit more.

Puerto Viejo to Peace Lodge, not sure, probably about the same? Anyone done this?

Peace Lodge to Manuel Antonio, 4 hours

Manuel Antonio back to SJO, 3 hours

Just brainstorming here. . .
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

We have an 8am flight out of SJO. Is that going to be difficult to do coming from Peace Lodge?

Is there a way to drive from PV to MA without having to go all the way up to SJO?

If we were to spend a night some where near the airport our last night...it would probably be Xandari.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

I was writing the same time you were Shillmac so I didn't see yours until after I posted.

I checked out Sansa and Nature Air schedules...I don't think we would be able to catch a flight from SJO to Quepos if we were coming from PV that same day. We didn't want to leave PV too early...trying not to rush out of any where if we don't have to.

I would be too worried taking a flight from Quepos to SJO the day we are flying out of SJO at 8am (yuck)...plus I don't think we would be able to make it to the airport early enough any way.

While I fear flying in one of those small planes...we both think it would be fun! Any reason to consider one airline over the other to alleviate my fears?
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 11:52 AM

Yes, misha, your departure time definitely dictates staying somewhere near the airport the night before--and I mean nearer than Xandari--such as Hotel Villa Bonita (5 minutes away) or similar. It's certainly not luxury, but you would love getting to know Humberto and Carmen.

You can't drive from PV to MA without passing through San Jose. Driving straight through would take you around 7 hours drive time (extra time for food and restroom breaks!). That's a day.

I think you are going to have to return to the central area from Puerto Viejo, spend your time at Peace Lodge, then off to Manuel Antonio, returning the night before your departure.

With an 8:00 a.m. departure, even staying at Peace Lodge the night before isn't very feasible. You really need to be at the airport by 5:30 (some would say 5:00). That would mean leaving Peace Lodge by 4:30 or 4:45. Not much point in staying there and paying so much to have to leave so early!

Keep working on it--it's coming along!

Are you already locked into 5 nights at the Tree House? I still think you could take a night there and put it somewhere else.. . .just a thought.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 11:54 AM

Misha, I forgot to say. . .I, too, am frightened of the small planes--and the big ones! I do it because it is convenient and fast. We are flying a small plane in Costa Rica for the first time this summer--over to Bocas del Toro off the coast of Panama. I'm sure it I'll enjoy the view! You will too!