Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   itinerary question for Costa Rica (Manuel Antonio) (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/itinerary-question-for-costa-rica-manuel-antonio-802856/)

smartin Aug 24th, 2009 05:40 PM

itinerary question for Costa Rica (Manuel Antonio)

We will be traveling to Manuel Antonio in April- flying into San Jose-any suggestions on a place to stay on the way there so we don't have to do the entire drive on our long travel day? We also will have 2 nights at the end of our trip-any suggestions on a different area? We have already done the Arenal area on a previous trip. Thank you! Susan

volcanogirl Aug 25th, 2009 03:09 AM

For the two nights at the end of the trip, we always like to stay at the Peace Lodge - great property with over the top rooms - waterfall showers, fireplaces, great views, jacuzzi tubs. They have waterfalls on the property, and you can hand feed hummingbirds there. The area was damaged by the earthquake in January, but the hotel is back up and running and two of the five waterfalls are already open.

Another option is Xandari - beautiful property about 20 minutes from SJO airport.

From either of these places, you could go to tour Poas Volcano and also the Doka Coffee Estate.

qwovadis Aug 25th, 2009 03:56 AM

www.hotelvillacaletas.com amazing

50 miles from SJO north of Jaco my fav.

if too pricey go for www.hotelpuntaleona.com

either should break your journey to MA up nicely...

qwovadis Aug 25th, 2009 04:02 AM

for your 2 days at the end might visit Turrialba

www.hotelcasaturire.com

amazing plenty 2 do yet still pretty close to SJO.

ParkerSunshine Aug 27th, 2009 06:31 AM

try to stay as little time as possible in san jose. i think everyone would agree with me, even the locals.

RAC Aug 27th, 2009 04:43 PM

One of the Tarcoles area hotels could work. We split up the drive from Manuel Antonio to Arenal with a stop at Villa Lapas and did an afternoon crocodile safari and a morning tour of Carara NP.

hipvirgochick Aug 27th, 2009 10:08 PM

I wouldn't break up the drive from San Jose to Manuel Antonio, just drive straight there, it's not that far.

indianapearl Aug 28th, 2009 02:40 PM

We arrived in SJ on a Sunday afternoon, drove a stressful three hours to Quepos (five miles from MA). The streetswere filled with people, donkeys, horses, cattle, and motor scooters. Very exhausting after having arisen at 4:00 a.m. to get our flight from Philadelphia-Houston-San Jose. Stop along the way. Mucho importante!

volcanogirl Aug 28th, 2009 02:57 PM

Another option is to get a private driver or use Interbus if you don't feel like making the drive. I didn't realize people broke up the drive to MA, but for us it's only a 3-hour flight so we usually get in early.

neglex Aug 31st, 2009 01:26 PM

Do most people drive from the airport to MA or fly? How safe are the flights? I tend to get motion sick and am a little nervous about the drive....will it be a problem? Is it really only three hours? Thanks.

volcanogirl Aug 31st, 2009 02:23 PM

Most people drive, hire a private driver, or take Interbus. The flights are safe, but the planes are very small. I've never had motion sickness before, but I got it in CR on the roads. If you're worried about it, I would take something beforehand. I noticed it most on the way from SJO to Arenal - very twisty and turny in that area.