Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page > Itinerary help: Holbox, Mayakoba, and stop for Mayan Ruins

Itinerary help: Holbox, Mayakoba, and stop for Mayan Ruins

Jan 4th, 2019, 12:55 AM
Original Poster

Itinerary help: Holbox, Mayakoba, and stop for Mayan Ruins

Making travel plans for a spring break week in the Yucatan with two kids, ages 5 and 7.

We currently fly into Cancun 3/22 and then we plan to take the ferry to Isla Holbox.
We have lodging arranged on the island for 4 nights.

Then, we move from there and check into the Fairmont Mayakoba for four more nights, flying out of Cancun.

My husband and I took a more extensive trip pre-kids that included Tulum, Isla Mujeres, Merida, Chichen Itza and Campeche—so we're sorry to not get to revisit some of these places on this trip!

I'd love to show the kids some Mayan ruins and was thinking that Coba might be the most exciting for them (and new to us). What do you think would be the best way to include it? I was thinking on the transfer day between Holbox and Mayakoba. At the same time, we will have our things with us and I want to be sure we chose a safe option if we make a daystop with our things.

Or, I was considering taking a night off of Mayakoba and putting it closer to the ruins, as leaving the Mayakoba resort to go once we arrive is a bit less appealing. Part of the justification of the expense is using the onsite amenities like the kids' club and taking it easy.

But I never relish adding another night of moving around.

Any thoughts on the best way to adjust or amend the itinerary to include more sightseeing in between the island/mayakoba? Is Coba the wrong idea?

Thank you!
Ashley
Jan 4th, 2019, 10:47 AM

Coba is a neat site and great with kids. It's not completely excavated and its kind of jungly, so it has an adventurous feel to it. And you can touch and climb on some of the ruins, unlike some of the sites. There are cycle-ricshaws that you can rent, which is fun.

I would visit Coba as a day trip from Holbox rather than trying to fit it in on your trip from Holbox to Mayakoba.
Jan 4th, 2019, 11:03 AM

The logistics involved in moving from Holbox to Mayakoba might be a little much .
I would move right in to Mayacoba and later plan a half or full day at the Coba ruins as it is a great choice for the kids. You can all rent bycicles and later climb the pyramid. The restaurant situated just outside the site is very good...
Jan 4th, 2019, 11:56 AM

I'm sorry, I mis-typed - I meant to recommend a visit Coba as a day trip from Mayakoba. I agree, doing a daytrip almost anywhere from Holbox is a non-starter.
Jan 4th, 2019, 02:20 PM

You could also visit Ek Balam, about a 20 minute drive north of Valladolid (you can also climb the pyramid there), and maybe even stay overnight there if you drop a night somewhere else. Valladolid is a nice colonial town.
Jan 4th, 2019, 05:42 PM
kja

Originally Posted by jamie99 View Post
You could also visit Ek Balam, about a 20 minute drive north of Valladolid (you can also climb the pyramid there), and maybe even stay overnight there if you drop a night somewhere else. Valladolid is a nice colonial town.
I'm truly glad that I visited Ek' Balam, but my memory is that the stairs of the main pyramid, the one with the frieze, were so high and narrow that they were extremely difficult to manage -- and I was a very fit adult at the time I went! But maybe my recollection is in error?
Jan 5th, 2019, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by kja View Post
I'm truly glad that I visited Ek' Balam, but my memory is that the stairs of the main pyramid, the one with the frieze, were so high and narrow that they were extremely difficult to manage -- and I was a very fit adult at the time I went! But maybe my recollection is in error?
Good point... It is a well known fact that the stairs leading up to the top of pyramids are notoriously thin and sometimes high. In which case presents a problem on your way down... That said, some stairs have been modified with a large rope fastened to the stairs so as to facilitate the descent.
Years ago, ( no longer the case)Chichen Itza had the same modification and presently Coba has been modified with a rope to accommodate the elderly and the young.
Jan 5th, 2019, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! I like the Valladolid option.

A friend just suggested we cut a night from Holbox and add a stop in Tulum in between: Ferry and stay in Tulum, leave bags wherever we stay and tour Coba in the morning, then pick up bags on way back through Tulum to Maykoba.

This seems sensible in terms of our routing. Am I correct that 3 nights rather than 4 nights on Holbox would be adequate?

Thanks for your perspective!
Jan 5th, 2019, 06:03 PM
kja

If you visit Valladolid, consider also visiting the cenotes Dzitnup (X'keken and Samula) a little outside of the city:
https://cenotesmexico.org/cenote-dzitnup/
Jan 6th, 2019, 12:58 PM

Besides the cenotes, you might also like Casa de Los Venados, a private home housing a huge collection of Mexican folk art. Tours daily at 10am only, small donation of about $5-10.
I haven't been to Holbox yet, but 3 nights sounds about right, especially since it is not whale shark season.

Search this Thread