Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Itinerary help for 7 days out of Cancun to beaches and Ruins!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2015, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the three of us land in Cancun Feb 1st late in the afternoon, and depart early evening Cancun Feb 7th. Could use some help in setting up a plan of action. Will be renting a car. Thinking some beach time and exploring the ruins. Hear Tulum is sweet for a beach spot, but open to other suggestions. Names like Chicken Itza, Ek Balam, and Uxmal pop up. Would love some help with a Itinerary. That gives us some relax time, experience some authentic Mexico and not burn out with ruin fatigue. Thanks!
Old Aug 6th, 2015, 04:57 PM
kja

With just 5 or 6 days on the ground, sticking to Tulum, Ek' Balam, and Chichen Itza makes sense to me. I think it would be hard to fit magnificent Uxmal in unless you make Merida your base, rather than Cancun.

For some of "authentic" Mexico, you might want to stop in Valladolid while near Chichen Itza and Ek' Balam -- or even spend a night or two there. I don't miss the magnificent cenotes in that area.

If you haven't already seen it, I found the Moon Guide the best of the half-dozen or so guidebooks I used when planning my time in the area.
Old Aug 6th, 2015, 05:04 PM

You have 5 full days so I would pick 2 spots so you don't spend too much time transitioning. I would choose 1 beach spot (Puerto Morelos, Akumal, Tulúm?) and spend 2 nights in Valladolíd. We really enjoyed that little town (nice parque central and great cenotes and restaurants) and it's a great jumping off place for both Ek Balám (20 minutes north, ok for an afternoon visit) and Chichén Itzá (20 minutes west, waaaaay better if you get there 1st thing in the morning).

My photos with blog, travelogue, and review links on the main page of each collection are below in case you're interested - all my recommendations are embedded there from 2 trips to the area.
Happy planning!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections
Old Aug 6th, 2015, 05:05 PM

Typed my post before seeing kja's - brilliant minds run in the same circles. ;-)
Old Aug 6th, 2015, 05:42 PM
kja

Thanks, hopefulist, and I 2nd your recommendation of Puerto Morelos.

And that should have read, "AND don't miss the ... cenotes" -- not I don't miss them, LOL!
Old Aug 6th, 2015, 06:05 PM

Great info here from both kja and hopefulist... would recommend
Old Aug 7th, 2015, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's response... great way to plan the trip!
Old Aug 7th, 2015, 09:55 AM

Head out of Cancun airport ASAP to start a big circle, and overnight in Valladolid, an interesting little Colonial city. Use it as a base for Ek Balam and Chichen Itza on two mornings (early as possible to beat the crowds), and spend the afternoons at a cenote. Then head for Tulum the next morning, stopping along the way at Coba. Spend your final days on the beach at Tulum, seeing the Sian Ka'an biosphere, etc. (Do note that the area has been having some problems with seaweed this season.)

Driving is not difficult. Keep to the (crazy at times) posted speed limits. I recommend Easyway rental in Cancun. Clear prices with full (needed)insurance, and problem free for us over several trips. Keep your eyes open for scams when getting gas though.
Old Aug 7th, 2015, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks hopefulist for your lovely photos!
Old Aug 7th, 2015, 11:32 AM

I agree with SambaChula, Valladolid and Tulum (or Akumal) would be great, you could also while staying in VTown drive up to Rio Lagartos to see the flamingos.
Old Aug 7th, 2015, 01:04 PM

My itinerary is pretty much what you also got from "jeanfrom...." on your post on the other forum site. It's a fairly common route, given that amount of time.
Old Aug 7th, 2015, 11:56 PM
kja

"great way to plan the trip!"

I respectfully disagree! Do consult a guidebook -- there are lots of things you won't even know to ask, and we won't know to tell you.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

So since we will be landing on Feb 1st in Cancun late in the day and need to fly out sometime in the afternoon from Cancun on Feb 7th and we are inspired by this Hotel Puerta Calakmul. Can anyone track a good Itinerary to break up the 5 hour drive round trip? With stops at other Mayan Ruins and maybe enough time for a few days on a beach if possible?I know we don't have a lot of time, but possibly I can get some advice on this? Thank you!
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 10:54 AM

I really enjoyed the flamingo preserve at Rio Lagartos and combined that with Ek Balam the same day, that's quite easy as they aren't that far apart (maybe one hour drive or 1.5 at most) and in fact, Ek Balam is on the way there from Valladolid. YOu don't need to spend an entire afternoon at Ek Balam. You could do Chichen Itza the second day.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 12:25 PM

Some of this Calakmul info may be useful to you:
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntr...ujil-questions
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone know about Mardi Gras or Carnival in the Yucatan? I believe the dates are Feb 3 - 9th? Might be awesome to see some of this in between Mayan Ruins and beaches. Thanks for the advice!
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 04:35 PM
kja

Calakmul is certainly stunning, but I must admit that it didn't fit with my impression of your interests. It is DEEP in the jungle, and miles from any beach. The area is definitely more developed than when I visited (2008), but as I understand it, it is still a bit out of the way. But if it captures your interests, it is an awesome site!

I would be very surprised, however, if you could get to that hotel from Cancun in the time you list: I think it would be closer to 7 hours one-way from Cancun to the hotel, and another hour to actually reach the site -- which easily takes the better part to a day to explore. But I could be wrong! Where did you see that it would be a 5-hour round trip? I'd love to know for future reference.

I didn't drive to Calakmul, and I visited it between Campeche and Palenque, but I considered routing back to Cancun, with options to stop in Chetumal, the Sian Ka'an, or somewhere from Tulum north.
Old Aug 18th, 2015, 05:24 PM
kja

Seems we were posting at the same time!
Old Aug 19th, 2015, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Your right, a lot of driving and with so little time, might not be what I end up doing... A friend mentioned this for proposed trip to the Jungle and hotels to stay at. So for future references:

Staying in the Jungles at the Hotel Puerta Calakmul. Doing a few days on the beach at Mahahual? It’s a 5 hour drive from Cancun.
Calakmul: Campeche, Mexico: Mayan ruins, archaeological zone- LocoGringo

At that time of arrival I would just get the rental car and head to Puerto Morelos for your first night, great little town on the Caribe, should hit it right in time for happy hour and sunset. Fun town for walking around and really good food. Might pick up a cooler in town, maybe bring one with you on the plane, 4 guys in Mexico you'll need one!

Would also try to get an earlier flight so you could head straight from the airport and drive south a little, maybe Tulum.

Feb. 1 - Puerto Morelos
Feb. 2 - Xpujil - long drive, about 5 hrs. but worth it. Hit the road early and spend the afternoon visiting the cool ruins around Xpujil. hotelcalakmul.com.mx/ is a nice cheap place. Save Becan for last, just before sunset climb the main pyramid the view/scene is outstanding, better with a couple cold beers!
Feb. 3 - Calakmul
Feb. 4 - 5 - Mahahual - about a 3.5 hr. drive from the hotel in Calakmul.
Feb 6 - Valladolid or Puerto Morelos
Feb. 7 - Fly out.

Hotel Puerta Calakmul

For Calakmul, head out early, sunrise from Xpujil, do a quick stop at the Hotel Puerta Calakmul to let them know you'll be checking in and head to the ruins. You'll be stopped a few times to pay fees, like 30 pesos each for the road, then 60 pesos for the car and then 50 each for the ruins, it's all legit, it's all controlled by the locals so feel good about contributing to them and keeping the place as it is, your talking about less than 10us each for everything.

From the Hotel Puerta Calakmul to the ruins is about 45 mins. on a very slow narrow road through the jungle, just take it easy, it's a fun drive and good for spotting wildlife, especially in the morning.

Bring food-snacks, a packed lunch from Xpujil, maybe get a bunch of fried chicken the day before. Also a lot of water and beer. There is nothing at the ruins except...... well jungle, animals and ruins.

By early afternoon you'll be beat so head back to the fancy place, relax, enjoy and have some beers. Do some of the trails around the Hotel Puerta Calakmul.
Old Aug 24th, 2015, 06:18 AM

Debes acceder a por lo menos 3 días de actividades acuáticas, existen desde buceo certificado, nado con delfines y tiburones ballena, snorkel y el museo acuatico.
Te dejo el link, con mucha más información.

http://aquaworld.com.mx/tours/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -