Itinerary for Peru

Old Nov 14th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary for Peru

We arrive on 2/17 and leave on 3/13.
This means we will have about 23 actual days on the ground.
I seem to be having a problem with a reasonable itinerary that does not require constant travel. We are pretty seasoned independent travelers and are used to getting around, but hate the thought of a lot of hassled airports. We will do whatever flying is necessary.

We have dumped the idea of jungle (wife)so now think that the main areas of interest would be:
Lima
Cuzco, MP, Sacred Valley
Punco, Lake Titicaca
Arequipa
Trujillo, Chan Chan
Lima

Any suggestions to change that list?
How long is needed in each area?
How to get from area to area?
We would love to drive as usual, but understand that distances and safety make this a less than desirable choice.
We seem to have the time and would like to take a less hurried approach staying a little longer in more interesting areas.

Thanks

Ed
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

I posted this yesterday...but it did not show up in the "Peru" forum. Not sure where it went.
Sorry if it is duplicated somewhere else.

Ed
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Jed

If you click on your name, you will find the other post. Probably you did not choose Peru for the topic the first time.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

You were right. Forgot to click on Peru the first time. Thanks.

Ed
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 08:47 AM

Of all your stops, Cuzco is the one that requires the most days. It all depends on how much you want to squeeze into 1 day, but I figure at least 5 days to cover the most important sites.
A train ride between Cuzco and Puno might be a good idea.
When in Lima, don't forget to visit the NAZCA lines!
Enjoy your trip!
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 09:11 AM

Here is my posting from the other thread...

Author: SharonNRayMc
Date: 11/13/2004, 02:18 pm
Message: Lima requires very little time. Perhaps 2 days. These don't have to be full days. Depending on your flight times they could be arrival or departure days.

From Lima, you can fly to Cusco. Be sure to get tickets for an early morning departure so you have the best chance of landing in Cusco early in the day. Sometimes flights are delayed or cancelled and you'll have a better chance on an early flight. Check out Lan Peru.

Cusco requires a day to acclimate and there are many interesting things to see and do. I'd say no less than three full days in Cusco.

Take the train to MP. You might consider staying in Ollantaytambo while in the Sacred Valley and taking the train from Ollantaytambo to MP. For rail service - check out http://www.perurail.com/Frames_Pages/mainpage1.htm. You can then take the train back to Cusco. I'd suggest no less than two full days at Machu Picchu.

Machu Picchu - again, I wouldn't suggest rushing your time here. There are several day hikes you can take from MP and it's wonderful to see the ruins at different times of day and to linger.

You can also spend several days seeing ruins, going to markets or hiking in the Sacred Valley. (Be sure to glance up at the night skies and see the consellations if you are from the northern hemisphere.)

One idea would be to fly to Cusco and head straight for the Sacred Valley first - this way you can acclimate a bit more slowly. Then, do MP and back to Cusco to spend some time.

I haven't been to Puno/Lk Titicaca... that's part of our next trip.

Maybe someone else can help with the other places. At this point... you've spent about a week and a half of your trip.

Have a great time planning!

-Sharon

PS. You might give us some idea of your interests and how you think you'd like to plan your time... that sort of impacts how long you would stay in an area.