Search

Isla Mujeres...Good or???

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 05:42 PM
Libby

Isla Mujeres...Good or???

We're thinking of Isla Mujeres for the "end of February blues" getaway. Need a Caribbean vacation at Mexico prices! Not interested in Cancun, been to Cozumel and PDC. We loved both, but he wants something different! Is Isla it? Have heard good stuff about Na Balam, but are there other accomodations right on the ocean? Are prices comparable to PDC & Cozumel? Local eateries good/safe to eat at? And hey, how 'bout that ferry crossing? How will those of us with seasick problems fare?<BR>I know this is a lot to ask, but we've read Fodors and most of these questions aren't answered in any depth. So anything someone can add will be gratefully accepted !<BR>

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 10:04 PM
ALF

Its been a few years now, but we loves Isla Mujeres! We stayed in Maria's Cabanas on the north beach, and had such a pleasant time lounging in the sand, walking through town, and taking taxis to other sites. We were pretty adventurous, eating in small authentic-looking places, and ended up doing just fine. The little beach park on the south side (El Garrafon?) was a great trip (but someone stole my snorkeling gear). The ferry was a bit too decrepit for my taste and had a disturbing list to one side. The trip isn't long though and didn't seem too exposed to high winds/waves.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 10:22 PM
teresa

love isla mujeres...was there last fall. Cancun and Cozumel are quick jaunts via ferry. There is a delightful "rain forest preserve" somewhere in the vacinity...worth the day's adventure. the orchids were beautiful and the wildlife was pretty incredible. <BR><BR>Cozumel, Cancun and Isla are all a little "developed" for my tastes, as we enjoy things a bit more remote. As far as the food...it's great, bottled water is available...I didn't have any difficulties, nor did others in our group. The ferry crossing....a bit spendy I thought, however, we crossed daily for scuba diving in Cozumel. There is not good diving off of Isla. I think it was $30US per round trip. There are 3 ferries, 2 old, 1 new. The old ones are open air, like being on a water crossing one level trolly. The new one, while it has outside seating, is more like a plane ride...with swaying. When the ocean is rough, it fares better than the open air ones, but, my friend who has seasick problems did not fare tremendously well.<BR><BR>All in all, I found Isla lovely, a bit "commercial"...if your goal is to sit on the beach and stay around the island...it's good...it's a bit of a trek to see the other islands in the area.

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 04:31 AM
Susan

Libby, you may want to check out www.isla-mujeres.net which has loads of info on Isla. We were there a few years ago and are going again in March for a week. I don't recall the exact price for the ferry, but it's nowhere near $30 USD for the round trip (I'm not sure where the previous poster got that figure - or maybe I misunderstood her?) <BR><BR>I've been to Cozumel several times, also Playa del Carmen, and enjoy them both. Isla Mujeres is similar, but on a much smaller scale. The website has lots of info on hotels, as well as a forum (similar to this, but the people are almost fanatical in their devotion to Isla Mujeres). <BR><BR>The ferry trip is very short. Much shorter than to Cozumel (I had problems once to Cozumel). <BR><BR>Good luck with your plans. <BR>

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 08:54 AM
todd

Libby;<BR><BR>Am leaving tonight for Cancun, got a great deal...but will spend most of our time on Isla. Went to Cancun last Dec. and ended up over on the island most of the 4 days we were there. It is a great place to just relax. Not a lot to do on Isla, but we did not have any trouble occuping out time. Am not sure about other hotels, but Na Balam is where I would stay...it was really nice. Had great food there...one of the best meals I have ever had. A small restaurant on the beach...they brought the fish up from the boat, cleaned it right there, and cooked it...awesome! We also can not wait to get back to a little restaurant on the windward side we found that served fish tacos that were to die for! THe ferry was no problem...but we do not get seasick. It is so easy to get there that you might stay in cancun and commute. E-mail me if you want and I will give an updated summation after we get back.

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 03:02 PM
d motl

If you e-amil us a request we will send you our 20 page brouchure on the island. We spend a month a year there so it is current. Dan and Ginnh

Old Dec 6th, 2001, 11:25 AM
xxx

isla is great but considering you've been in the area before. "he wants something different" - it's not that different. have you considered belize or roatan, honduras. they would be in the same budget range - roatan cheaper then belize and better beaches.

Old Dec 7th, 2001, 05:10 PM
Teddie

Isla Mujeres is great if yo want a laid-back, beach vacation on a small, relatively quiet island. There are no big resorts, or all-inclusives there right now. The best beach areas for hotels are on Playa Norte, which is right in town, or all along the bay coast that faces Cancun. The eastern or carribean-side beaches are way to rough for swimming. <BR>We visited Na balam, and thought it was very nice. Isla is very casual and laid back, wherever you stay.<BR><BR>For a luxurious and romantic treat, stay at Hotel Villa Rolandi, located towards the southern end of the island. This hotel has only 20 suites, each with a jacuzzi on the veranda, and a fabulous view. We were there for a week this past November, and loved it. The daily rate includes continental breakfast delivered to your room, and choice of lunch or dinner in their very fine restaurant..you are also picked up from Cancun on their private yacht, and it includes the return trip by yacht back to the mainland when you leave. The off season rate for this was $220/night. Sevice was great, as was the food, decor and casual ambience. We ate in lots of local spots with no problems at all. We did take the express ferry for a day trip to Xel-Ha. It is small, air conditioned, and seemed perfectly safe. <BR><BR>Please feel free to e mail me if you would like more info