Rio Celeste

Old Dec 11th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rio Celeste

Has anyone taken the hike to Rio Celeste? How long does it take to hike in and out?
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 03:41 AM

I'm bookmarking because we haven't done this yet, and I'd like more info. too.
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 05:06 AM

I'll let you know after we hike it next month!
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 08:19 AM

Cattail - looking forward to hearing about your hike as we will be there about two weeks after you - Shillmac checked your dates in case we would be meeting up. We're staying at La Carolina for two nights, have a car rented and can't wait!

I read on T/A that steps have recently been installed near the falls. Also people have warned that if it has been raining, the trails are very slippery and muddy, plus the color of the water is greatly diluted so the intensity is diminished.

Nancy - I think it's at least 1/2 day hike depending on whether you go only to the falls or to the pools and the meeting of the streams to see the colors merging.
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, colibri. I just talked to someone today that went there. He said the hike in and out was maybe two and a half hours, granted he is 20 years old. He said the worst part was the drive in. He said it was the most beatiful place he has been in CR. There were mostly local people there. Very non-touristy. I will post here after my trip.
Old Dec 12th, 2012, 03:40 PM

Too bad about all the rain. Here's hoping it's dry and sunny when we all visit.
Old Dec 13th, 2012, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

It seems there are 2 ways to get there from La Fortuna, from the west at Bijagua, or from the East at Guatuso. Any advice on which way to drive in? We are driving ourselves, not with a tour.
Old Dec 13th, 2012, 06:31 AM

We're overnighting in Canas since I didn't think we could make it from SJO before dark with an afternoon flight arrival. We're going to La Fortuna after Rio Celeste and I've been saving all sorts of Rio Celeste posts for years.

Nancy - when will you be there? Looking forward to reading about your trip. I'll be at La Carolina Feb. 10 and 11.

Got the following from a T/A Destination Expert on Rio Celeste:

La Fortuna/Arenal to Río Celeste along Lake Arenal

You can drive around the lake and take a shortcut to Rt 6 for the Tenorio National Park and the Rio Celeste.

Not long after Cafe Macadamia, you will see an intersection with a little triangle in the middle. On your left is a big restaurant -- turn right here. There may be signs that say "Upala" and there may be a sign for the Tenorio Lodge.

A few miles along this road, there will be another right turn. This will be a gravel road. Once again, you should see signs for Upala and Tenorio Lodge. Follow this road that winds through the countryside and goes very close to the giant windmills that our ICE uses to generate electricity.

At the end of this road will be a paved road - turn right. You are on Rt 6. About 7 miles from the turnoff, you will be in Bijagua. As you approach Bijagua, you will see the Police station and the Banco Nacional on your right - in the same building. (Serendipity for the bank!)

About a mile from there, you will see the turnoff for the new road to the Park headquarters. There will be two small signs.
For me, the ride from the road around the lake to Bijagua takes a little over an hour. But I typically drive slow, looking at stuff. It's about 23 miles from Cafe Macadamia to Bijagua.
Old Dec 13th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the detailed directions. We are leaving for CR on this Tuesday. We are 2 days in Saripiqui, then are leaving for La Fortuna. We are there 3 days. I wanted to take a trip to Cano Negro one day and Rio Celeste another day. We are spending 2 nights in Monteverde, then going back to Ajuela for the last 2 nights. This is my first time in CR, and we are very excited. My daughter is studying there for 6 months.
Old Dec 13th, 2012, 09:34 AM

Great itinerary - you'll have a super time! I love Sarapiqui and look forward to your Rio Celeste updates. This will be my sixth trip back, #7 will be in June. You might just get addicted like many of us....
Old Dec 13th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

I think I might. What are your suggestions to do in Saripiqui?
Old Dec 13th, 2012, 03:03 PM

There's some nice hiking at Selva Verde and La Selva - lots of wildlife. You can also raft the Sarpiqui river, and there are some other tours - chocolate, bats, etc. Selva Verde has a lot of them listed on their website if you want to see more info.
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 06:02 AM

Not sure where you are staying in Sarapiqui, but Selva Verde offers free guided tours of the lodge grounds in early AM and late PM for their guests. You'll see loads of birds, frogs, iguanas, monkeys, sloths, etc.

For a fee, you can cross over the bridge into their private reserve for a guided hike.

We have taken the chocolate tour at La Tirimbina and birding tours at La Selva along with a boat tour from Selva Verde. La Tirimbina offers frog, bat and birding tours.
Old Dec 14th, 2012, 10:22 AM

col, they don't offer free tours anymore. On our recent stay they had started charging. Bummer, but still worth it I think.
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 06:47 AM

Thx., VG - too bad it's no longer a freebie, but as you say, it's still worth it. Selva Verde's grounds are just beautiful.

I was bummed that they were booked up for my February trip, so staying at La Tirimbina instead. I've gone on daytrips there, but never stayed. We'll see!

Are you still considering the GTG at BdC this summer? It's going to be a great time!!