Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Is visiting the Carribean really a lot better than going to a USA East Coast beach? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/is-visiting-the-carribean-really-a-lot-better-than-going-to-a-usa-east-coast-beach-96697/)

Cindy Dec 16th, 2000 08:38 AM

Is visiting the Carribean really a lot better than going to a USA East Coast beach?

My husband and I take the kids to Bethany Beach, Delaware each summer. I have proposed going somewhere in the Carribean this year instead. He says that a beach is a beach is a beach, so why spend the extra time and money to go abroad? We can do a week in Bethany Beach with a 3-hour car ride and about $1500 for all expenses. <BR> <BR>So how about it? Is it really worth the extra money to go someplace like Grand Cayman instead? Why?

d motl Dec 16th, 2000 02:46 PM

Assuming you want to do this during the summer you probably have a great thing going--especially if you don't dive or snorkel.When the kids are older and you and dad want to go alone during the winter than it is a whole new ball game

Diane Dec 16th, 2000 03:57 PM

How old are the kids? We've always been amazed that we can spend less for a vacation in the Caribbean than we can at Ocean City or Bethany. But then, you need to get a real deal on airfare once there's more than 2 of you. You'll never find the water as clear and warm nor the sand as soft and clean at Bethany as you will find in the Caribbean. However, if the kids are less into snorkeling and more interested in just digging sand castles (and the East coast beaches are wonderful for that) I'd wait and save the Caribbean for when Mom & Dad can go on their own. Once they get the snorkeling bug, and frolic in those incredible waters, they won't be as appreciative of their beaches "at home."

Howard Dec 17th, 2000 12:51 AM

I pretty much agree with the above posters. Especially if the kids are very young, it doesn't matter so much where you are, so you might as well go to a place that is less expensive and less hassle to get to. Certainly hte beaches and esp. the water is a lot nicer in the Carib., but that is worth only so much. Even if you go to a large beach resort or large tourist strip in hte Carib. it is not too differnet from the beach here in summer, no matter what the ages involved. <BR> <BR>I think that if you have older kids, and take advantage of being in a differrenct culture and setting, the scales start to tip in favor of the Carib. <BR> <BR>Howard

CindyToo Dec 17th, 2000 04:32 AM

I agree with Howard. It depends on the ages of your children. If they are very young, save the money now for other trips as they grow older. If they are a little older, it is an amzing educational experience for them to experience other cultures. That's not to say you spend your entire vacation in a gallery or museum - just being in a different country provides the education. That said, we travelled even when our children were small and now at 7 and 9 they are excellent travellers. They know when they can scream, run, and play and they know when to be quiet and respect other travellers. The usual temper tantrums and arguments that occur at home, don't when we are travelling! We usually have one trip per year to Caribbean and one here at home in another state.

Bill Dec 17th, 2000 10:23 AM

I don't know about the east coast, but I live about 30 miles from the beach on the Gulf of Mexico...and I would rather spend the money and fly to the Carribean than go to my own beach...the white sand and clear blue water is like nothing else in this world.

Cindy Dec 17th, 2000 10:43 AM

Thanks, everyone. The kids are 9, 6 and 3, so I think you are all correct that we should stay on the path of least resistance for now. Oh well. &lt;heavy sigh&gt;

Tim Dec 19th, 2000 12:51 AM

"A beach is a beach is a beach?!?" HARDLY!! I can assure you that even when your husband sets foot on 7-Mile Beach on Grand Cayman he will NEVER want to go back to Bethany, PERIOD!! I say -- GO FOR IT as even you and your husband deserve something better, and, quite frankly, Bethany is NOTHING to write home about! (And ONLY stick to Grand Cayman as anything else in the Caribbean would be quite below par!!)

Bex Dec 21st, 2000 08:04 AM

We take 2 vacations a year. One family and one grownup. The family vacation is spent at Port Aransas TX and the grown up trip is JAMAICA! <BR>

Stanly Dec 22nd, 2000 09:19 AM

How could u even ask this question?! Go to the Carribean. I went to bethany like, a month ago....not worth it! Plus, the east coast is having a problem with the weather. We got snow yesterday, and temps are about 20 F right now.

Dan Dec 22nd, 2000 11:11 AM

I own several businesses on the boardwalk in Ocean City, NJ and other Jersey Shore Locations. We continually lose families to other vacation areas; crisies, Carribean Outer Banks, and the like. Costs here are climbing rapidly, especially lodging. Makes these other alternatives more attractive. Returning to same vacation area year in and year out falling into disfavor. I personally travel to Carribean 2-3 times/year. Prefer Jamaica, Negril beach is the best(sorry Grand Caymen-been there too). Mexico is also favorite. Once you experience great beach,beautiful tropical reefs, interesting cultures, different food and an array of international co-vacationers, you'll agree. Best education for children is exposier to above. Bsst wishes.

searching Dec 23rd, 2000 10:51 PM

<BR>Yes - the Caribbean is infinitely better. Much as I like Florida, it doesn't even begin to compare to the Caribbean...especially the British Virgin Islands. The water in the BVI is the most breathtakingly beautiful I have ever seen! (That's not even saying anything about the gorgeous landscape, complete lack of crowds, and lovely open-air restaurants.) <BR> <BR>Florida is good, but the Caribbean is great!

Diane Dec 26th, 2000 11:37 PM

I vote for Bethany! Or Rehoboth! Or the public beach at the Indian River Inlet. I love to lie on the beach and listen to the seagulls and the surf. I love to play in the waves and really cool off so that coming out of the water and lying in the sun actually feels good for a while. The water is too warm in the Caribbean, and the sand, though pretty is hard and no good for sand castles. As soon as you get out of the water, you're hot again. <BR> <BR>I have to been to Jamaica, Acapulco and <BR>Puerta Vallarta (better surf in the latter two). I have also been to Chichen Itza, but not the beaches nearby. I love the idea of foreign travel for experience with different cultures, food, etc., but I would rather spend my foreign travel time in Europe (again) and see old cities, museums, and the Alps (again). If I want to go to the beach, I'm quite happy with Bethany.

Tom Dec 27th, 2000 10:12 PM

If the only beach places you've been to are Jamaica, Alcapulco and Puerto Vallarta, then NO WONDER your experiences have been AWFUL!!!!

Marguerite Jan 10th, 2001 07:21 AM

I haven't been to an East Coast beach, but live on the west coast. I can't imaagine anything being better than the beautiful Carribean water. We have been to the Pacific side of Mexico and have no desire to go back after we went to the Carribean. We just got back from Grand Cayman (very expensive lodging and food, but we still loved Cayman). I would wait a few more years until your 3 year old is 5 or older. But go before your older one hits 12. The flights are less for 11 and under. Isla Mujeres, the island off of Cancun is a perfect calm beach for kids. Cancun surf can be rough, unless on bay side. Check out the hotel NaBalam. Was about $140 nite for 4 in January two years ago. (www.nabalam.com) They have a wonderful snack bar right on the beach that adults and kids will love for reasonable prices. Swings for chairs! Take a 1 hour trip south to Xcaret. The kids will love it. Kind of like the Disneyland of Mexico. No rides, but fun things to do (snorkle thru caves, swim with dolphins $50) Email me if you have further questions. Our kids were 10 & 12 when we went.

John Jan 11th, 2001 01:31 AM

Marguerite, another good (and closer) alternative would be the Kahala Mandarin Orient Hotel on Oahu (YES, Oahu!), where the ocean in front is very calm and ALMOST Caribbean-like in color! You will also find this same beautiful water on the East coast of the island, along the "Waimanalo Coast" as I like to call it, because you don't actually enter the Beach Park of the same name itself which is way too crowded. As for Grand Cayman, I, too, am anxiously awaiting a future trip there, and I hope that 7-Mile Beach is as beautiful as it looks in photos, etc.!! (Agree with you about that wonderful Caribbean water!!)