Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Is Quito worth 2 nights? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/is-quito-worth-2-nights-761374/)

barefootbeach Jan 14th, 2009 08:54 AM

Is Quito worth 2 nights?

Hi,
I've read a lot of negative comments on Quito, and I'm wondering if I should change my itinerary to just stay 1 night there and add another night in the Cotopaxi area (currently staying 2 nts there). We're also going to Cuenca, Otovalo area and Galapagos. Any suggestions are appreciated!

liltravlr Jan 14th, 2009 10:48 AM

hi barefoot: I was in Quito for a week unintentionally - got a parasite from eating a chirimoya I bought on the road from Otovalo - and when out of the hospital had to wait to change my flight home. It is an easy place to spend time, museums, markets, sights and the school kids in their uniforms are so cute, bring pens. You will need a day to acclimatize to the altitude anyway.
Cotopaxi is beautiful, and stop at the Equatorial line on the way to Otovalo. I stayed at the Hacienda Pinsaqui in Otovalo, a beautiful estancia though a bit out of town.
Galapagos was humid, nice swimming off our boat, there really are blue-footed boobies! Ecuadorians are lovely, warm people.

barefootbeach Jan 14th, 2009 05:30 PM

Hi Liltravlr,
Sorry to hear about your hospitalization...have heard several remarks about people getting sick if they don't eat in hotels, etc.
I guess Quito is worth a full day there...it'll be a Sunday so won't get to see any school kids but museums should be open.
Hope you had a full recovery!

nonstop Jan 25th, 2009 07:54 PM

barefootbeach:

There is P-L-E-N-T-Y to do in Quito. Lots of neat stuff to see. The Banco Central is an incredible musuem near Ejida park right off Avenida Amazonas.

I ate at plenty of local, small restaurants in Quito. If you want Guinea Pig then it is Mama Clorindas on the corner of Reina Victoria 1144 and Calama. Don't get the full order.

If you want a great local lunch then go to Hotel Calima Cordero
E1-21 y Ave. 10 de Agosto. You get the plate of the day (everyone gets the same) for about $3.

If you want to really get down, find a local person, have them fix you a mustard and queso sandwich on a roll, chase it with an apple and a bottle of mango juice while on a public bus.

Coto. is very interesting for about an hour unless you are buying a leather jacket where you need more fitting time or participating on the "outdoor" side of adventure. There is an interesting art musuem there

hezulltogo Jan 25th, 2009 11:21 PM

Yes, Quito is worth 2 nights. More likely 3-4 nights if you really want to see the City.

My wife and I were in Quito for 5-nights in 2008. Like any other City you must be careful where you go at nights, especially my home town = Manhattan. This is a third world country but you will find the people open and friendly. Restaurants are great. Check Fodor's Guide for recommendations. You will not be disappointed. My wife is a Chef in Manhattan. So, we had some delicious meals sticking to Fordor's recommendations. If you stay at a hotel downtown, be careful at night. Yep, there's street crime. A TAXI is a must everywhere at night. We stayed in the old town historical area by the Cathedral. No problems there.

shillmac Jan 26th, 2009 04:21 AM

Hi Steve. . .I specifically checked this post knowing you would surely chime in. Welcome home! Rest up for your next adventure. Retirement must be nice! :)

nonstop Jan 26th, 2009 05:45 AM

I would certainly second hezulltogo's remarks on all points. You need to be aware. Taxi's are cheap. make sure they turn on the meter. Definately taxi's at night.

Lots of really neat stuff in UIO. I could do a month there.

Shill: thanks. glad to be home.