Search

Is Puerto Vallarta Safe ??

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2000, 04:09 PM
Tripp

Is Puerto Vallarta Safe ??

I was reading the U.S. State Dept. website re: crime in Mexico, and it warned that Mexico has a relatively high crime rate. Is Puerto Vallarta safe ?? And will my fiancee and I feel comfortable walking around at night in town etc. ??

Old May 30th, 2000, 10:27 PM
Pancho

The crime reports are generally referring to Mexico City. Crime has certainly escalated all over Mexico. However Purto Vallarta is one of the safest cities of it's size in Mexico. <BR> <BR>Just exercise normal caution as you would in any strange place. Stay on the beaten paths and you will be fine.

Old Jun 3rd, 2000, 06:37 PM
ronald smit

Hi! <BR> <BR>Puerto Vallarta (and its surrounding area) is completely safe. I was there for two weeks about a month ago with a friend. She also had a very safe feeling there. You can take every bus, taxy or whatever you like to the outback. People there are also very nice. Feel free to mail me with any questions if you like!

Old Jun 3rd, 2000, 06:41 PM
ronald smit

taxi, that is...

Old Jun 4th, 2000, 08:57 AM
SAndy

One word of advise. Wear a fanny pack and only keep what you need on you. My mother-in-law had her wallet taken out of her purse while it was sitting beside her. She had all her credit cards and birth certificate in there. The police were no help to her. Of course, this can happen anywhere where theres a lot of tourists. They felt safe walking around town at night.

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 01:25 PM
Linda

Ditto: Going for my 7th trip next week and taking my sister. Two women traveling alone. <BR> <BR>Crime is everywhere, but I feel safer in PV at night than in many US cities. I agree; only take money needed for the day when you go out. Keep everything of importance in your room safe. You could lose it without any help, crime or not.

Old Jun 30th, 2000, 03:13 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>Having been to PV more than 20-25 times in last l5 years or so, I can tell you it's one of the safest places to wander around on your own, using common sense of course. I love PV, the people are wonderful, the food, views, ambiance are terrific. And yeah, the police aren't the most helpful to tourists but they do make their presence known during busy seasons, and generally won't tolerate much. Hence the low crime rate I think (and we usually see some military around Easter or spring break. PV depends on tourism and the city officials know this and do what they can to make it safe for visitors. <BR>Be sure to visit the marina one early evening, stroll the boardwalk, and pick which quaint little cafe you want to eat in. Very clean, quiet, and makes for nice change from downtown itself. Have a drink at the top of the lighthouse. <BR>Favorite cafes we like at the marina include il Padrino and La Terraza. There's probably 20 or so little quaint restaurants to choose from, and some shops. We often were offered "second drink on the house" as we strolled by, trying to decide which one to go into. Have a wonderful trip!

Old Jul 2nd, 2000, 09:51 AM
dan

I have been traveling in the area for 18 years and have never had a bad thing happen to me. So I would say its safe! <BR> <BR>www.choice1.com/villamontana.htm <BR> <BR>adios! <BR> <BR>mexicodan