Search

Is Playa del Carmen dirty?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 12:15 PM
tracey

Is Playa del Carmen dirty?

Hi, i am thinking about doing a week-long trip to Playa del Carmen but a friend told me that it is dirty and that there aren't any nice hotels. We want a really nice hotel w/ a wonderful beach- can i find that in Playa del carmen or should i go to maui?

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 12:32 PM
joyce

Not any nice Hotels in Playa? What was he smoking?<BR>Royal Hideaway, Iberostar, Riu Palace, Barcelo Mayan (Puerto Adventuras).<BR>You are in Mexico, it is a third world country, no the shopping area does not look like you local mall. The Standard of Living is not as good. I do not think it is dirty (maybe worn or Mexican Culture are better terms.)<BR>The above mentioned Resorts are Beautiful, The Beaches are Beautiful.<BR>I much prefer Playa Del Carmen to Myrtle Beach or Panama City, Florida or Daytona for that matter.

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 12:47 PM
tracey

Joyce, are there any five star non all-inclusive resorts?

Old Jan 4th, 2002, 07:01 PM
Debbie

What about the Continental Plaza Playacar which is the 4 or 5 storey pink hotel that is right near the main square in PDC? I believe it's a non all inclusive, very expensive and with most rooms having an ocean view.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 03:18 AM
Bob

Stick with Cancun if you want a spotless Mexican (but American style service) experience.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 05:18 AM
Monica

I will probably regret answering this, because I can't figure out if Tracey is sincere or not with this question. We have been traveling to Playa for 13 years and have stayed in some very low budget hotels-NEVER we stayed at one that wasn't nice and always, always in Playa and the whole region the hotels are very clean. I would not consider any of the als typical Mexico nor the hotel Zone in Cancun. These places where built for the tourist and most tourist do not want to see a 3rd world country. So when you ask about dirty, there is a garbage problem in PLaya(biggest problem is town has grown so fast, the garbage has also grown)and of course the way many live, we think is many dirty-but its there way-they are very happy people not privy to the material things we have. But when you get to know these pesople, they are very clean with their bodies and the way they perpare food. I just happen to think if you are planning to only spend a week or two in Playa, these things will probably not affect you. Or better still, as said prior stay in one of the many als.

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Joyce

The Gran Porto Real offers both All-Inclusive and EP and is in walking distance of town.<BR>Continental Plaza is all European Plan.<BR>The thing is ususally the prices are not that different, so even eating just breakfast and having a few drinks at the all inclusive is worthwhile.<BR>Royal Hideaway is lovely, but expensive. I personally have stayed at the Iberostar Quetzal/Tucan and Gala. I liked both, but Iberostar was nicer in my opinion. Stayed at Allegro Playacar (hated it). Riu Palace is a Beautiful Very Upscale Hotel. Riu Yucatan or Playacar are more moderate, but also good values

Old Jan 5th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Susan

I agree with Monica. We've been to the area 3 or 4 times and always stayed in small hotels in Playa del Carmen (no resort style hotels), most of them inexpensive (from $25 USD up). The hotels have always been basic, but clean and more than sufficient for us. <BR><BR>I don't like Cancun - very very touristy and not a pleasant experience at all.