Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   IS MEXICO SAFE FOR A SINGLE WOMAN? (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/is-mexico-safe-for-a-single-woman-178802/)

Lisa Mar 23rd, 2002 08:46 AM

IS MEXICO SAFE FOR A SINGLE WOMAN?

I'm looking to take a vacation by myself. I originally wanted to stay away from Mexico because I didn't think it would be safe for me to go by myself. My travel agent said it would be fine as long as I stayed in a resort. Is this true? I was thinking about going to Cozumel for good snorkeling. Are there things I should watch out for? Does anyone have any tips?

Angela Mar 23rd, 2002 02:32 PM

Hello-I have been to various parts of Mexico 8 times, and have never had any problems. Of course, this really depends on where you're going. Cozumel is touristy, so I wouldn't be afraid to hang out there alone, however as with any place in the world, I wouldn't recommend hanging out in the streets at night alone. It also helps if you speak Spanish, as the locals appreciate the time you took to learn their language, and may indirectly take you under their wing. I also wouldn't carry a large purse, as that might attract unwanted attention. If you must go out alone at night, have the hotel call you a cab, so you are accounted for, tip the driver well for getting you to your destination, and ask if he/she wouldn't mind coming back to pick you up at a pre-determined time and spot. Most of all, enjoy! Mexico is great fun!

doctor chilorio Mar 25th, 2002 10:49 PM

this is no easy to answer. There are places like mexico citie's outskirts, where even me, a 200 pound male mexican would not dare to go, but they are far away from the touristic places.<BR><BR>The hotel and restaurant zones are very safe, and besides the occasional drunk fighting in rowdy bars, you will never feel threatened. <BR><BR>My sisters and wife run around without problems in the turistic zone, and their only precaution is not to wear flashy jewelery or wave 100 dollar bills in lonely places. Just use your common sense, and you'll have a great time.

Susan Mar 26th, 2002 04:25 AM

My first few trips to Mexico were on my own. That was quite a few years ago, but I figured if I had travelled in Greece and France on my own, I should be fine, especially in a resort area. Since then, I've been to Mexico many times. My favourite places are outside the resort areas (the interior). We just got back from Mexico City 10 days ago. <BR><BR>Cozumel is wonderful for snorkeling. I've been there several times and I think you'll enjoy it. It is very touristy - lots of cruise ships, etc. - but it's still a very nice destination. There's plenty to do - you can take a ferry to Playa del Carmen for a day, you can shop, eat in nice restaurants, etc. <BR><BR>I think it would be an ideal destination.

Monic Mar 26th, 2002 04:49 AM

Lisa:<BR><BR>I'm like Angela, where I've traveled 8-9 times to Mexico and many of them on my own. Have never had a problem. Cozumel's a good choice for watersports, beach, shopping, authentic food, etc. Stay at one of the resorts and be sure to venture into town. I found it to be quite safe, even at night. Just have the hotel arrange for the cab and stay on the main, more busy, streets. Monica.

Clarisa Mar 26th, 2002 08:18 AM

I've spent a dozen+ vacations in Puerto Vallarta as a solo female. I stay in the old part of town, not a resort, because I prefer to be in a more local Mexican atmosphere. I can only speak to PV but I have never had any problem at all. Local people are warm and friendly, very helpful.<BR><BR>My personal belief is you are more likely to be hassled in and around high-end resort areas because that's where you will find more tourists, with more money! Staying in a modest, family-run, Mexican owned hotel always felt much safer (and a lot more fun!) to me.

mexicodan Mar 26th, 2002 07:28 PM

No problema!<BR><BR><BR>Adios!<BR>mexicodan<BR>www.mexicomexico.info

I've Done it Mar 28th, 2002 07:38 AM

I have traveled toPV several times alone<BR>I am 34 and have never been worried. Actually single women get far better service that if you are with someone. PV is very safe, just stay on the main drag. I stayed at the Buenaventura right in downtown. It was convient to<BR>walk everywhere from there but taxis are also very safe.

jose Mar 28th, 2002 12:50 PM

http://travel.state.gov/mexico.html<BR>Some good info here.

Lori Mar 28th, 2002 03:09 PM

I have to agree with Clarisa and I've done it. I have also travelled to PV on my own numerous times and have never had a problem. I feel safer there during anytime of the day than I do in my own city.