Search

Passport, hotel, air time

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 10:50 AM
Margie

Passport, hotel, air time

Is a passport necessary in Costa Rica? <BR>I was told my birth certificate would be sufficient. Also has anyone stayed at Barcelo Playa Langosta? Lastly,what is the travel time from Philadelphia to Costa Rica?

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 07:57 PM
David

Citizens of the US or Canada need only valid passport or birth certificates and photo IDs - such as driver's license - to enter CR and stay for as long as 90 days. Non-passport holders must also buy $2 tourist cards. <BR>It is a 71/2 hours flight from Minneapolis to San Jose with a quick stop in Dallas or Houston. <BR>I haven't stayed at this new all-inclusive.

Old Feb 12th, 2001, 01:25 PM
David

I forgot. A passport may not be needed to get in or out, but if you plan on cashing travellers' checks it might be advisable. When I cash checks at a commercial bank in Alajuela they really scrutinize the checks and passport. They have had me re-sign checks so that my signatures matched exactly. I wonder if they would cash checks without a passport.

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 07:25 PM
Dean

I also have heard that it is more of a hassel to get in and out at the airport with a birth certificate instead of a passport.

Old Feb 14th, 2001, 06:07 AM
Ally

I would also suggest getting a passport. <BR>Yes, you can get in and out with just a birth certificate, but it is more of a hassle. When you go through customs, you stand in line, finally get to the window, and are then given a form to fill out for a tourist card and have to get BACK in line. Also, the poster who stated it's hard to cash travelers checks is correct.