Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page > Is Ixchel best place to stay for good off-beach snorkeling in Isla Mujeres?

Is Ixchel best place to stay for good off-beach snorkeling in Isla Mujeres?

Jul 6th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Is Ixchel best place to stay for good off-beach snorkeling in Isla Mujeres?

Going to Isla Mujeres end of July. Have been researching hotels and looks like Ixchel has the best reviews, but nothing I've read mentions snorkeling (other then tours). Any info on Ixchel experiences would be much appreciated!
Jul 7th, 2011, 04:35 AM

Ixchel is too modern and boxy for my tastes, but I understand why people love it. Units are individually owned, and I understand the ones that have yet to sell are not furnished nearly as nicely.

There's lots of info over on Trip Advisor regarding individual room number recommendations.

No good snorkeling off the beach there. Although I've never done it, I've read there is some ok snorkeling by the little bridge that goes across to Avalon resort. Maybe half a mile (or less) from Ixchel.

There is also ok snorkeling at Hotel Garrafon de Castilla, on the south end of the island. Not to be confused with Garrafon Park next door which is expensive. At the hotel, I think the entrance fee is about 50 pesos, and they have loungers, showers and such. Also a small restaurant for snacks. It's not great snorkeling, but a fun way to spend a few hours, and we did see quite a few fish.

Search this Thread