Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Mexico & Central America
Reload this Page >

Is it too early to buy plane tickets to Bs As for Aug.?

Old Nov 15th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally decided on Aug. for Bs As, or rather work needs chose my dates, so instead of Sept or Oct., we decided on late July until late August for 5 wks. We've been quoted $915 round trip from LAX. Does that sound like a good price? Follow-up question: Do we need to buy/book this early? I read somewhere that it can be hard finding a ticket to buy if you wait too long. Anyone know if this is true? Any advice or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks very much.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 02:40 PM

Prices go up and down depending of the seasons.
Checking with a wholesaler is a good idea.
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. So when is the best time to buy for Aug.?
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Any advice out there? Thanks.
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 07:25 AM

Annetti I do not have the right answer. I check a little from time to time and my agent lets me know when something very good comes up, like the recently new direct route of Lan(Argentina) between Miami and Buenos Aires. It was like half of what I had paid a month before in American. But this situation changes all the time. There is no magic foolproof way to go about it. Is there is one I am the first that would like to know, I am all ears.
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 01:54 PM

I just check for Christmas and it is like three times what I paid in the Lan promotion! Christamas and New Year I would say is the most difficult and expensive time of the year to go to Buenos Aires.
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Graziella for your replies. I guess I want to know if I should buy now for this August or wait.

I've been told that there are a limited number of tickets available for BA and that I should buy quickly.

Planning for Argentina is all new for me. If I were going to Europe which I have been doing every summer for more than the past decade , I would have bought my tickets by now. Last yr when I went to Switzerland, I bought my ticket in November and it was a good deal. I was able to get a non-stop from LAX for $1200 and it had only a $225 cancellation policy!!

So, I wonder if $915 is a good deal to BA from LA. I have no idea since I have never traveled further south than Mexico.

Thanks again for trying to answer my questions.
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 04:30 PM

Although August is the off season, your fare is good, the most you could possibly save by wasting dozens of hours on the net is little over $100. Not worth it, book it.
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 04:43 PM

Sounds like a good fare to me. We are traveling n/s from JFK for a little over $1000 RT. I guess I could have fooled around and saved a little money, but think about your comfort -- non-stop rather than stopping & going & wasting time is worth a little bit of money!
Old Nov 19th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

If the flight was non-stop, I would not hesitate to buy immediately, but surprisingly there are no non-stops from LAX that I am aware of. Thank you
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 12:48 AM

Rules are changing. The old rule was to wait until a couple of months before your travel and a sale would pop up. Now that Buenos Aires has been "discovered." this rule no longer applies. You have been offered a good fare for this market. As someone noted, you might save a hundered dollars by waiting...but you also risk paying considerably more by waiting...

One note: It is rumored that LAN plans to begin service direct from LAX to EZE. If this happens, there will be an "introductory" fare that might be significantly less than your fare. You might want to check with LAN before confirming.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 02:53 AM

Hi drdawggy, I am arriving at the same conclusion
, Buenos Aires rediscovered sales are going to be more and more rare. Good idea to check for the possibility of a direct flight between the West Coast and Bs As. In this case it would be Lan Argentina. BTW I found out after flying in Lan Argentina between Miami and Bue that for the time being they do not belong YET to the One World alliance thus no miles. But of course it was worth it anyway.
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Drdawggy, Thanks for telling me that there is a possibility that LAN may be flying directly from LA to Bs As soon. I think I'll take a chance and delay purchasing with the hope that there will soon be a direct flight. I'd be willing to pay a bit more if I could fly directly without a stop in between. I called LAN today, but they were not able to tell me if a flight between LA and Bs As will soon be available, but suggested I call back in Jan. I also heard rumors that Aerolineas Argentinas may be having a direct flight soon. Perhaps, they are all rumors??! Thanks again.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 01:27 AM

Over the past two years direct flights to Buenos Aires have been started from Dallas and Houston and Atlanta...As tourism increases it is only a matter of time until someone launches a flight from LA....