Is it safe to travel to Cabo San Lucas

Old Aug 17th, 2017, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it safe to travel to Cabo San Lucas

My family was planning to travel to Cabo San Lucas right after Christmas. Well, we are a large family so we were looking at renting a large villa 30 minutes south of Cabo. Due to the recent crime activities, we are a little leary about his plan and are considering cancelling. Advise please.
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 04:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Confused about 30 minutes south of Cabo. Cabo San Lucas is at the southern tip of Baja, so your villa cannot be any further south.

We go just about every year to Cabo and are going again in November. We are not concerned. We try to stick to the main roads and at night we stay in the main tourist areas, as we would in any City anywhere.
Old Aug 18th, 2017, 06:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As above, 30 minutes south of Cabo you'd be in the ocean!

I personally believe it is safe to travel to Cabo San Lucas as a tourist doing normal tourist activities.

Or you could change locations and go to Mazatlan or Puerto Vallarta instead, if you'd be more comfortable with those.
Old Aug 21st, 2017, 01:39 AM

Cabo San Lucas place has safe of my own view. On the day does not have any problem, not long time outside. Help to their local people if you have any problem. Tourister has the best place Cabo San Lucas. Also, keep yourself from being an easy target by putting your money and valuables in a money belt or cross-body zippered bag. Leave your passport in the hotel safe.Travel with friends or family; and when you're near the water, look for signs — posted in English and Spanish — warning of dangerous beaches. Drink bottled or purified water, or carry your own purification system to make drinking water safe.
Old Aug 22nd, 2017, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

I posted the wrong information. The house we are considering is 20 minutes from San jose and 45 minutes from Cabo San Lucas. It is in a remote area on the water. Since it is not in a tourist area, I am worried about security. I will contact the owner to find out the exact location.
Old Aug 22nd, 2017, 08:54 AM

Typically a rental like that would come with a security guard for the property. I would ask the owner about what staff is included.
Old Aug 22nd, 2017, 02:41 PM

Curious to see where exactly this is. In a gated area or out along the East Cape. The violence recently has been drug related and not targeted to tourists.
Old Aug 26th, 2017, 11:48 AM

I'll be at World Mark Wyndham Coral Baja and was just a last minute trip in the next few weeks. All of a sudden I started getting messages and posts about how unsafe it is with Drug Cartels and targeting Americans in Cancun, Cabo and all tourist areas.... My husband (A marine) says we should be fine, duhh! However I'd love to go to relax not to stress.

Any feedback from anyone that has stayed in the Cabo area within this past month would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Lilly
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 05:35 AM

Disclamer: I have not stayed in the Cabo area within the past month, but if I had a trip planned to Cabo I would go without hesitation.

Drug Cartels are NOT "targeting American tourists". You need to read the details of local events when they happen not just the sensational headlines that hit the media/internet/news. When violence happens it is cartel to cartel, hopefully no tourists get in the way.

Stick to normal visitor activities and you should be fine.

I'm heading to Puerto Vallarta soon myself. The state of Jalisco is part of the travel advisory but the region with unrest mentioned is a good 8-10 hour drive from PV so I am not especially concerned.
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 07:09 AM

We are heading to Coral Baja in November. Can't wait to go and am not concerned. You will love it. Go and have no worries.
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 07:16 AM

<All of a sudden I started getting messages and posts>

Get off Facebook (just kidding - sorta)
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 05:39 PM

The US State Department lists its Mexico travel warning by state and, to be honest, 23 of 31 states have some problem identified. The state of Jalisco is one of those, as Suze mentions, but the problems are nowhere near Puerto Vallarta. You have to keep that in perspective.

But ... One of the incidents that put the state of Baja California Sur on the warning list was the killing of three people on Playa Palmilla at San Jose del Cabo. It's assumed the killings were targeted, but that's still a public beach that was packed with visitors at the time.
Old Aug 27th, 2017, 05:40 PM

I would still go to Cabo.
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 10:37 AM

Hello, I visit a couple months ago and the tourist area is very safe. I recommend to rent a car or move around in private transportation and be careful when going out at night.
Old Aug 28th, 2017, 10:41 AM

I am not sure about the taxi rates. If you are looking for safe airport transportation to your villa you can find shared, private and VIP transfers in discoverymundo.com