Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Mexico & Central America (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/)
-   -   Is it safe to rent a car? We're two women. (https://www.fodors.com/community/mexico-and-central-america/is-it-safe-to-rent-a-car-were-two-women-217196/)

Catherine Dec 22nd, 2001 06:50 PM

Is it safe to rent a car? We're two women.

We are considering renting a car during our stay in Playa del Carmen in a couple of months and would like to rent a car for a few days to have more indenpendence. However, we have been told this might not be too smart considering we are women. We'd appreciate some advise. Thank you.

texasgirl Dec 23rd, 2001 05:25 AM

It's fine. I have done this,with girlfriends, several times. Roads are mostly good, though I wouldn't drive after dark if I could help it. There is a lot of traffic on the main road so even if you broke down you would have help shortly.<BR><BR>You have probably heard this isn't safe from people who have never been to Mexico or who have just stayed at the all-inclusive resorts. There are places in Mexico I might not drive by myself. But the Mayan Riviera is not one of them.

Sharon Dec 23rd, 2001 06:59 PM

My cousin and I (both in our 40's) rent a VW every year and drive all around the Cancun area. You will have no problem in PDC..Have fun!

Catherine Dec 24th, 2001 09:03 AM

Thanks for the encouragements !

Catherine Dec 24th, 2001 09:06 AM

Any recommendations as to what company to use for car rental ?

Sandy Dec 24th, 2001 01:47 PM

Two other women friends and I rented a car and went all over the Yucatan area, we had a ball! (We're mid-50s.) After a week, one of my friends had to return home (she was out of vacation time) and then we two continued on. <BR><BR>In order to see more of the local culture, we did not use the toll roads and we found the local roads to be very good and not much traffic. We loved stopping in the little towns and eating or exploring, having a car was wonderful!<BR><BR>We rented from Budget before we left and paid about $30/day for a 4-door Nissen Sintra (equivalent) with a/c.<BR><BR>Texasgirl (we're also from Texas) gave great advice about not traveling after dark and that's good advice for all of Mexico and Central America . . . anyway, you'll want to be in some little town sampling the local beer and culture by the time night comes!<BR><BR>Go, you'll have a ball!<BR>Sandy

texasgirl Dec 26th, 2001 04:17 AM

Catherine: All the major rental companies are at the Cancun airport and I think most are also now in Playa del Carmen in town. Personally I usually stick with a major co _ Budget, Dollar, Hertz etc _ in other countries, just to be on the safe side. You can reserve a car on the websites before you go, or if you are trying to hold down costs, wait till you get there and you can maybe find a better deal. A manual transmission with air-con has cost me anywhere between $25-$40 a day, the car may look a little dinged up, but I've always had good luck and they have run fine. For peace of mind, get the extra insurance; I never do in the US but always do in other countries. Have a wonderful time, Sandy _ hi, fellow Texan _ is right, it's so much more fun to be able to explore!

Maree Dec 28th, 2001 02:13 PM

Please be careful, Catherine. I went with my boyfriend and our rental car was broken into right in the middle of Playa in broad daylight!!! The police just laughed it off. First time to the Mexican caribbean coast, and never again! We both got sick and I got sick as a dog and we were very careful. Maybe, don't travel too far at night???<BR>Maree

Susan Dec 29th, 2001 01:34 PM

I feel sorry for the previous poster, but I guess I've been lucky - 14 trips to Mexico and never had a problem, knock on wood. We've often rented a car when we stay in Playa del Carmen - usually just for a few days and we've been fine. You do have to be careful - just as you have to be careful anywhere. I live in Toronto - a city which is considered safe - and twice have had my wallet stolen while taking the streetcar home from work! <BR><BR>Agree with Texasgirl on the insurance. Our credit card covers insurance and we never buy it here in Canada or in the US, but I always do in Mexico. Better safe than sorry.

dianna Dec 29th, 2001 03:22 PM

Renting a car I understand is not a bad idea. I can only inform you that my husband and I have been to playa at least 6 times in the past years. We have always found the bus depot service to be very reliable and very cheap.<BR><BR>you can take a bus for the day to Cancun for about 10 dollars or less. the buses also drop you off on the highway by the various places for very cheap. and you just wave them down to go back to playa. <BR><BR>places such as Tulum, xcaret and xelhia<BR>which are awesome. Also xcaret has a wonderful free night concert which most people don't know about you could take the taxi back as the buses wouldn't be running for about 10/15 dollars. I wouldn't recommend the tres rio. We did it last year and it wasn't very popular. xelhia is wonderful for canoeing and snorkeling. and they have a number of restaurants on site.<BR><BR>have a great time.

searching Dec 30th, 2001 03:19 PM

No problem! I rented a convertible VW from Localiza last May, drove up and down the Playa coast and inland to Merida by myself (I'm female, blonde, 40's - if that gives you any clue about safety) and had a wonderful time. I'm going to do the same thing this coming March, too.<BR><BR>That said, I did make sure I was at each destination by dusk, because I've heard from many sources that driving at night is simply unwise and could be unsafe.<BR><BR>As for Localiza: They have branches at the Cancun airport (not right in the transit center, though - they're a bit of a hike across the parking lot), Playa del Carmen, and Merida. On the whole, I was very satisfied with them, although I thought they charged a lot to bring me a replacement set of car keys when mine were stolen. Still, I'm not so unhappy with them that I won't rent from them again. Besides, they seem to be the only place around that offers convertible Volkswagons - all the others I saw were non-convertible hard tops, and most of the usual rental agencies (Avis, Budget, etc.) don't offer Volkswagons at all.