Search

Is it safe in Costa Rica?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 06:13 PM
Robert Olson

Is it safe in Costa Rica?

I'm reading a number of reports about all the crime in Costa Rica. Is there an area that is considered safe and areas considered dangerous? The reports indicate all the touristy areas have crime problems.

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 09:15 PM
Sr. Bandido

NO!!!! <BR>Stay home!! <BR>The basement is the best place, if not there try a dark closet!!!!!!

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 07:37 AM
jane

Most of the crime I've heard about is pickpocketing and petty theivery, which is rampant in all touristy areas, even the US. Just don't be stupid about wearing flashy jewelry and leaving your stuff unattended. The biggest warning I've heard is that if you rent a car NEVER park it on the street or in an unsecured lot, and even if you do find the latter, don't leave ANYTHING in the car. And also to wear a money belt or keep your wallet in your front pocket rather than the back.

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 02:11 PM
Pat Hoyman

Mr. Olson, <BR> <BR> Costa Rica is basically a safe country, provided you follow basic common-sens guidelines. Petty theft is common in downtown San Jose, and some theft occurs outside San Jose. But for the most part, Costa Rica is a very safe, friendly, beautiful country. <BR> <BR> We would be happy to help you make your arrangements. We specialize in sending people to Costa Rica. Please let us know if we can help you further. <BR> <BR>Sincerely, <BR> <BR>Pat Hoyman <BR>J.D.'s Watersports in Costa Rica <BR>[email protected] <BR>1-800-477-8971

Old Dec 28th, 2000, 08:51 AM
Kim

We just got home from Costa Rica yesterday. The people in Costa Rica are very friendly. <BR>I kept my wedding ring at home. <BR>Don't keep anything in your back pant pockets and don't carry a purse or shoulder bag. <BR>Tamarendo and Jaco are the most popalar spots for tourist on the Pacific coast and Manuel Antonio, Monteverde, Tabacon hot springs and that area are very touristy, so if you rent a car, don't keep valuables in your car. <BR>We never had a problem in the 2 weeks we were there. We rented a car, the roads are fine except going up Monteverde you need a four wheel drive. Never park next to a yellow curb or you will be towed. <BR>You may want to learn some spanish to communicate. <BR>Travlers checks were a hassle because some places don't take them or you have to pay a fee to use them and they want to always see your passport. <BR>We stayed at 7 different hotels. It was hot, so I would recommend asking for hotels with A/C. Most hotels we went to on the Pacific coast did not have A/C. <BR>Always watch your luggage where ever you go. It's not a bad place, I just wouldn't take any chances. <BR>Make copy of passports and keep originals in hotel and copy in rental car. <BR>If stopped by police, don't give money to them because it is illegal. <BR>If riding in bus, don't put bags over head, put at feet. <BR>Don't eat unpeeled fruit, uncooked food. The drinking water in Costa Rica is fine to drink. We never got sick. It's not like going to Mexico. <BR>A good drink there is Fruit Ponch. <BR>On the Pacific coast, we stayed at El Verde hotel on Playa Hermosa, that is a good beach and hotel. <BR>We would not consider going to Playa Brasilito, the beach is trashy and a run down area. <BR>We would not recommend Hotel Belmar near Monteverde, we didn't relize we needed a 4x4 to get up there. So we called and told them we wouldn't make it, so they still charged us for 2 nights. 2 other hotels didn't charge us when we changed our plans. <BR>We were in the Arenal Volcano area for 4 days and only saw the volcano once. We really enjoyed the Tabacon hot spring resort. We stayed at Los Lagos Hotel, they have any activities and you have to go through their property to get to the volcano observation deck, where you can hear the volcano and can see it if your lucky. They say you see it once about every 10 days. <BR>If you go to Playa Negra, you may see dolphins and lots of turtles. We took a boat tour and they were amazing. <BR>The largest waves are at Juaqullal beach. You really need to be careful because the under current can take you out in further into sea. <BR>If you like coffee, buy Cafe Britt and take some home. It is good. <BR>Pilsen is the best beer. <BR>Things you should take: <BR>Passport and copies <BR>Boogie board <BR>Driver licenses <BR>sunglasses <BR>Bug spray is a must <BR>Sunscreen (it's summer there, so it is hot) <BR>Snorkels and masks <BR>flippers <BR>water shoes <BR>Cameras- underwater and reg. <BR>cough med. <BR>dirty clothes bag <BR>books to read <BR>sandals <BR>binoculars <BR>swim ear medicine <BR>compass <BR>walking boats <BR>capsCosta Rica is a beatiful place! <BR>Hope this helps! <BR>Kim Thornton <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Dec 31st, 2000, 07:59 AM
AntByte

I spent two months in Costa and the people were so warm and friendly I almost didnt come back to this hell hole called New york City!Just remember to walk lightly and nobody will even know you are there.

Old Feb 7th, 2001, 07:39 AM
From Texas

Kim gave good advice.

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 07:25 PM
Joe

<BR>A friend and I spent 2 weeks in a rental car from boarder to border, and loved the beauty and most of the people. However, personal safety I’m not sure of, maybe, but I have <BR>never had theft like I experianced in Costa Rica. In San Jose we, (my male mid 30 friend and I ditto) were accosted by 3 teen age girls with a 12 inch knife, and they took all the <BR>money we had at the time. At a first class hotel in San Jose we were paying our bill with <BR>our luggage 2 ft behind us, and as we turned around one of our bags with about $1,000. worth of camera gear was gone. Yes, it is a beautiful country, the girls are “fabulously beautiful” and the people are friendly, but I have been in 157 countries and never have <BR>lost anything through theft except in Costa Rica. Be careful, very careful...! Better yet, <BR>don't go.

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 07:38 PM
Agree-With-Joe

Joe's post is up to date advice. <BR> <BR>I've posted warnings before about San Jose and the upsurge in crime in recent years. Most of it is non threatening although what happened to Joe is an indicator that the most common crime -- stealing anything and everything -- is now being done with threat of violence and showing a weapon. <BR>Stealing luggage is commonplace and occurs within the international airport at an alarming rate. <BR>So is stealing luggage during the check-in and check-out process of hotels. <BR> <BR>Breaking into rental cars and stealing luggage is becoming much more common. SPECIFIC WARNING: do not load luggage into car, drive to the office and then go inside to check out and pay the bill EVEN IF YOU LOCK THE DOORS. Either there are thieves watching for this practice or there are some hotels where the employees are involved. Again, I've heard and read too many traveler's tell of this happening to them. <BR> <BR>The government is certainly not doing much, if anything, to publicize this increase in crime but it is being reported in the newspapers. Tourism is now, I believe, their #2 income source. They ain't about to do anything to discourage foreigners who spend big bucks in CR. The US State Department will only issue warnings when the situation has reached epidemic proportions. <BR> <BR>Do not expect much from the local police. At best, they will say "so sorry" and you will be fortunate if they even bother to take a report. They won't expend an ounce of energy to catch the thieves. Hey, you're a tourist, in and out in a couple of weeks, their attitude is that you are rich if you can travel and your insurance will pay. <BR>I know this sounds harsh but it is true. Realize it, understand it, and plan accordingly. <BR>When we were first there in 1994, we took a tour up to the Irazu Volcano in a 12 passenger van the day after we arrived in San Jose. 3 of the couples had been victims; 1 had one of their bags stolen before they even passed thru immigration, another had a bag stolen during check-in at their hotel (not the same as ours) and the other (an elderly couple) had had their camera bag taken during a 'grab and run' in downtown San Jose. <BR>

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 09:49 AM
Carol

This is good

Old Mar 23rd, 2001, 05:59 PM
GBR

CR if far safer and less crime ridden than any US city.Just use common sense!!!!

Old Mar 26th, 2001, 03:07 PM
Crime-Is-Everywhere

GBR, Robert wasn't asking for a comparison of crime rates. <BR>Yes, there's crime in the USA, statistics rise and fall in various cities. <BR>Yes, there's crime in Costa Rica, and it has been increasing over the past few years. No one can deny that. People on vacation are often in a carefree mood and are sometimes less on the alert than they would be at home. <BR>Being in a foreign land where one is often not fluent in the local language brings with it certain disadvantages. <BR>Tourists are targets anywhere they are simply because they are tourists. <BR>

Old Apr 6th, 2001, 11:17 PM
Donna

Have been to CR three times in last two years. Common sense goes a long way. Never had any kind of problem -- and went from downtown San Jose to hiking to Tabacon etc. etc. <BR><BR>Never leave your luggage. Pretend you are in Rome or any other large metropolitan area (New York, Los Angeles) and behave appropriately.

Old May 5th, 2001, 08:57 PM
Don

Kim gives good info. on what to bring to Costa Rica.

Old May 10th, 2001, 07:39 PM
Paul

Daughter just called from San Jose today after having her rental car broken into and all luggage ripped off while parked at a rainforest parking area. They have heard from several different travellers that they too have been robbed, esp on Pacific coast and central areas. Don't leave car unattended. Don't leave passports anywhere but on your person. Take a copy of the passport and keep it separate from your luggage. Alas, Paradise is Lost!

Old May 12th, 2001, 10:19 PM
Scott Gauvin

Costa Rica is still a paradise. It is a country however where people don't make as much as its wealthy tourists, but where everyone aspires to have the material things that the tourists show off daily. Costa Rica is very much like the US, but the crime rate per capita is much less. Yes there is an increase in petty crime, but it follows the increase in tourism. If you compare it to anywhere else in the world you will find that it is one of the safest countries for travelers - violent crime is almost non existant. <BR> <BR>You won't find guns like you do in the US. You don't have murders or violent crime like you do in the US. Bottom line - Costa Rica is a lot safer than the US. <BR> <BR>A smart traveler keeps his head about him wherever he goes.

Old May 16th, 2001, 01:38 PM
Robbie Felix

We have crime in Costa Rica. The vast majority is petty theft. cameras, bags and even clothes can be taken. I own a hotel here and have had several guests who have lost stuff while here. But that is like 4 people who had a petty theft in a year and a half. I don't think it is a huge problem. But 75 % were traveling on cheap buses. We suggest greyline or any good bus line and to avoid like the plague the 6 dollar bus...I personally have never been robbed here, but my best friend had all his luggage stolen out of a car in a high end tourist area outside of Athens, Greece. It was like the kind of place that has every designer name on the shops in the street...Pricey, fancy etc. I think touristy areas always have a problem, but I have seen far worse in Europe than here in Costa Rica.

Old May 16th, 2001, 07:58 PM
Liane

We have been to CostaRica yearly for the past four years. So far we have lost nothing - but we have been very careful where we haave parked and what has been left in the car. Have been everywhere but the east coast. Am in the process of building a new home in the south - Ojochal- and have found the people we have dealt with fair and very accomodating. I live near D.C. so in comparison the crime in C.R. seems minimal. Just be aware of where you are and where your belongings are at all. times. A neck pouch, under your shirt, with passport and money seems to work well. A few dollars in you pocket in case of robbery would be a good idea.

Old May 31st, 2001, 10:08 AM
Sandra

???

Old Feb 9th, 2002, 10:20 PM
Pam

CHECK OUT WHAT KIM HAS TO SAY. GOOD INFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -